• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

12 hours ago, Sothron said:

The more tape of Edey I watch the more I like the kid. Supes is right, there's honestly no one outside Yao that you can compare him to. He's not Big Country (who ppl forget before his injuries he was a good NBA center) that needed a lot of low post ups in order to generate offense. Edey moves around in the post and finds little spots on the floor for a quick post up or a hook. 

His touch around the rim is elite. He is much better on defense than people give him credit for. 

We have two first round picks or should in this draft. I hope we take Edey. Use the other pick on a wing defender.

If you guys think Quin who wants to play fast is taking a back to the basket big I got some bad news for you. And the way some of you guys are typing in this thread I can already see the "excuses" if Edey busts. "They aren't using him right". "He would be so much better with x player" Etc.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If you guys think Quin who wants to play fast is taking a back to the basket big I got some bad news for you. And the way some of you guys are typing in this thread I can already see the "excuses" if Edey busts. "They aren't using him right". "He would be so much better with x player" Etc.

We play better when Trae controls tempo and can execute the offense and his options. If we have JJ open in transition, go for it but we have always played better at a mid tempo. We suck playing fast pace with Trae. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

We play better when Trae controls tempo and can execute the offense and his options. If we have JJ open in transition, go for it but we have always played better at a mid tempo. We suck playing fast pace with Trae. 

That’s fair. I just think Edey is on the complete opposite spectrum of what Quin wants 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That’s fair. I just think Edey is on the complete opposite spectrum of what Quin wants 

I don't believe so. I actually think he would be on the high end of player speed and distance chart because he's always moving and plays with an incredible motor. 

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/speed-distance?CF=GP*GE*25:MIN*GE*15&PlayerPosition=C&dir=D&sort=AVG_SPEED_OFF

Movement and motor matters. If you look at the top perimeter movement guys, it's exactly who you expect. 

Edited by NBASupes

We got 20 pages on this dude and it's only mid-March. One thing is for certain, following his NBA journey is going to be fascinating. 

I'll just say, after reading all the analysis, all the back and forth, and watching a bunch of videos on him, I'm hoping the Hawks draft him just to see how he'd play with Trae.  

Give me Dalton Kenecht and Edey. 

7 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

We got 20 pages on this dude and it's only mid-March. One thing is for certain, following his NBA journey is going to be fascinating. 

I'll just say, after reading all the analysis, all the back and forth, and watching a bunch of videos on him, I'm hoping the Hawks draft him just to see how he'd play with Trae.  

Give me Dalton Kenecht and Edey. 

The good and the bad of Edey on display in the game vs Wisconsin today.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The good and the bad of Edey on display in the game vs Wisconsin today.

It was a bad game. There wasn't much good today. Even got bailed out of a couple of calls but also, the refs missed a handful as well against Edey like the slap on the head at the 25-30 second mark

Possession by possession, it wasn't what Edey usually delivers. He missed more screens than he connected on which is highly unusual. This is one of those games, if you hate Edey as a prospect, you hang your hat on. I just hate this was in front of Grant. I know Grant saw yesterday's game which was excellent by Zach, I hate that he had front-court seats for his worst game of the 2nd half of the season. 

He even missed some boxouts which never happens. 

He play under on everything. He seemed impacted by the ankle sprain. 

The motor was good but wasn't Edey-like. Definitely, his worst game of the 2nd half of the year for Edey. Now, he needs to heal up with his buddy Smith and bring their typical games on Friday and throughout the NCAA tourney. 

@TheNorthCydeRises, you should know, this is like one of those bad Trae games. That doesn't mean this is what Trae is. Don't be that guy. Especially a guy as consistent as Edey. 

Seeing guys in here after a bad game, this is starting to feel like what you guys hate when guys do it to Trae on here. Why all of a sudden, the board got bonkers, PB, Hots, and others on it. Don't be that guy

Edited by NBASupes

5 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Like that of following Edy Tavares’s career? :huh:

Not gonna lie....that was my first impression comparison on page 1 or so of this thread. 

After watching him more and reading more about him, I think he'll be significantly better than Edy. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

Not gonna lie....that was my first impression comparison on page 1 or so of this thread. 

After watching him more and reading more about him, I think he'll be significantly better than Edy. 

Lucas Nogueira aka Bebe? I remember I used to pair that guy up against Rudy Gobert that year and I gotta tell ya, it was hard for me to see them being that different.

Granted I didn’t have full access to dither’s full highlights due to France and Brazil but still…

I don’t know.. Big men are tough to gage..

All players but bigs seems to kinda be more of a gamble in a lot of ways. 

The Embiid pick for example, he went 3rd and with all his injury issues he could have easily had a Greg Oden type career but got healthy and made the Sixers look good for once.

Ya… tough call with bigs.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Lucas Nogueira aka Bebe? I remember I used to pair that guy up against Rudy Gobert that year and I gotta tell ya, it was hard for me to see them being that different.

Granted I didn’t have full access to dither’s full highlights due to France and Brazil but still…

I don’t know.. Big men are tough to gage..

All players but bigs seems to kinda be more of a gamble in a lot of ways. 

The Embiid pick for example, he went 3rd and with all his injury issues he could have easily had a Greg Oden type career but got healthy and made the Sixers look good for once.

Ya… tough call with bigs.

Bebe had tremendous metrics early on but it was always clear. Bebe was talented but he wasn't instinctive. He was reactionary which isn't good for a NBA center. Bebe fit the mold of modern center whereas Gobert was like seen as not a fit. 

Many scouts had Bebe being significantly better. He was instinctive but even I though Bebe was better offensively. Bebe personality also wasn't the best. Didn't have the best motor. That dude was fast af tho. He could run with the wind whereas Gobert was slender and more lumbering. 

https://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=lucas-nogueira--rudy-gobert

It's funny because most would have taken Bebe but me. I remember wanting Giannis in that draft. I didn't even think Bebe would be available. He was considered a top 10 guy at the time. 

Just imagine that. 

Bebe was talented though. The summer league he played in, he was really good and his speed and athleticism stood out immediately. Sometimes, we underestimate mental acuity and work ethic while overvaluing talent and physical ability. 

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/lucas-nogueira/

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/rudy-gobert/

https://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Rudy-Gobert-5878/

https://www.draftexpress.com/profile/lucas-nogueira-5957/

Edited by NBASupes
  • Thanks 1

I still believe if I want a center in this draft…it would be Messi or Clingan. He’s just too slow for me and he really doesn’t have any actual moves other than going to the rim (I don’t care about videos that show him shooting doing pull ups and stuff for the draft, we all know that literally doesn’t matter when it’s literally the in game stuff that matters). He wouldn’t fit Quin’s system which needs mobile big man play. I think some people see 7’4 and think instant fit and the reality is that it probably won’t be that way for this team. 

16 minutes ago, givemesome1ce1 said:

I still believe if I want a center in this draft…it would be Messi or Clingan. He’s just too slow for me and he really doesn’t have any actual moves other than going to the rim (I don’t care about videos that show him shooting doing pull ups and stuff for the draft, we all know that literally doesn’t matter when it’s literally the in game stuff that matters). He wouldn’t fit Quin’s system which needs mobile big man play. I think some people see 7’4 and think instant fit and the reality is that it probably won’t be that way for this team. 

I won't argue with your personal opinions, I am not going to change that for you. I will argue with the BS. 

It does matter That he can shoot it in workouts. Just because he's not allowed to shoot deep in games by his coach doesn't mean he can't. We went through this with JC during his time at Wake. Why are we hard headed about this? We know if you can shoot it in an open gym, you can in a game especially if you are a big and it's usually going to be wide open and highly uncontested. 

I am trying to figure out why he wouldn't fit Quin scheme? He is an excellent athlete for his size. I think some people see 7'4 and think, instantly not a fit. You see how that opinion can go both ways and truth is, what you are saying is horse shit. 

Have an opinion, just don't make up shit. You don't have to like the kid, just don't lie. That's the shit that irks me. Be honest. If you don't know, don't say shit. 

Posted (edited)

I've come to realization, how we like someone is how we expect them play. We don't like em, nothing they do is real. It won't work here. Well, of all the players this productive, who's failed? Idk but I know he will. FTA merchant. If someone is a FTA merchant it's because they have an insane motor and are always moving or insane attacking ability or insanely crafty. You aren't a FT merchant for no reason. Trae isn't a FT merchant because he's a baiter. Edey isn't a FT merchant because he's just big. Let's use IQ. Let's think and use our brains, please.

I remember on RealGM and in the draft community, Trae was Jimmer 2.0. It won't work in the NBA. I heard it time and time again. Hell, I was even guilty of saying it early in the process. I didn't change till I watched full games after the season and realized why he had the fans he had. 

Reality is Trae was real. 

https://tankathon.com/players/trae-young

Reality is Edey is real.

https://tankathon.com/players/zach-edey

Edited by NBASupes

If Atlanta doesn't take Edey in this summer's draft, at least two Squawk posters will be very disappointed, NBASupes and I!

:smug:

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

If Atlanta doesn't take Edey in this summer's draft, at least two Squawk posters will be very disappointed, NBASupes and I!

:smug:

Extremely disappointed. You have Trae Young. You have one of the three players that can really unlock Edey in the NBA and you have the biggest need for him and you have the Harden that needs centers the most. It's like God provided this idiot organization with a get-out-of-jail card and to foolishly not use it is the most idiot thing they could ever do as a franchise. Worse than trading Luka. Worse than trading Gasol for SAR. Worse than even the Bill Russell trade which was STL by the way. 

Just look at last year's Trae. He's better this year than last year but his KPIs are all down. I wonder why? 

Last year: Trae had a 9.8 WAR

This year: 3.5 WAR

Last year: Clint had a 5.4 WAR and OO had a 3.5 WAR

This year: Clint has a 1.1 WAR and OO has a 0.9 WAR

It's no shock this happened. Even when we had just a floor spacer at the 5 in Dedmon, even he had a 2.5 WAR. Dedmon had no offensive skill outside of 3pt shot which was broke the next season when he left for the Kings and came back after it was clear, Damien, Bruno, and Skai was offensively abusive to the game of Basketball. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I don't know why there are 20 pages here for a guy who is too slow to play in the League. 

He's effective in College but so was Luka Garza.  I jumped on that train...

Career Bests

Rebounds: 18, 2x, last vs. Wisconsin, 1/27/20
FGM: 17 at Michigan, 12/6/19
FGA: 32 at Michigan, 12/6/19
3-pt FG: 6 vs. Iowa State, 12/11/20
3-pt FGA: 9 vs. Illinois, 2/2/20
FTM: 11 vs. Michigan, 1/17/20
FTA: 14 vs. Penn State, 1/4/20
Assists: 5 vs. Ohio State, 2/4/21
Steals: 4 vs. Purdue, 3/3/20
Blocks: 5, 2x, last vs. Cincinnati, 12/21/19
Minutes: 40 at Illinois, 3/8/20

He looked good.  Now, he can't get minutes. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Extremely disappointed. You have Trae Young. You have one of the three players that can really unlock Edey in the NBA and you have the biggest need for him and you have the Harden that needs centers the most. It's like God provided this idiot organization with a get-out-of-jail card and to foolishly not use it is the most idiot thing they could ever do as a franchise. Worse than trading Luka. Worse than trading Gasol for SAR. Worse than even the Bill Russell trade which was STL by the way. 

Just look at last year's Trae. He's better this year than last year but his KPIs are all down. I wonder why? 

Last year: Trae had a 9.8 WAR

This year: 3.5 WAR

Last year: Clint had a 5.4 WAR and OO had a 3.5 WAR

This year: Clint has a 1.1 WAR and OO has a 0.9 WAR

It's no shock this happened. Even when we had just a floor spacer at the 5 in Dedmon, even he had a 2.5 WAR. Dedmon had no offensive skill outside of 3pt shot which was broke the next season when he left for the Kings and came back after it was clear, Damien, Bruno, and Skai was offensively abusive to the game of Basketball. 

Trae made Alex Len look pretty good too. Admittedly, Edey’s stats look good and I am intrigued. Love the info here, but I don’t look much into prospects until I see where our draft pick is. I appreciate all of the pros and cons everyone is pointing out in this thread, some good reading.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I don't know why there are 20 pages here for a guy who is too slow to play in the League. 

He's effective in College but so was Luka Garza.  I jumped on that train...

Career Bests

Rebounds: 18, 2x, last vs. Wisconsin, 1/27/20
FGM: 17 at Michigan, 12/6/19
FGA: 32 at Michigan, 12/6/19
3-pt FG: 6 vs. Iowa State, 12/11/20
3-pt FGA: 9 vs. Illinois, 2/2/20
FTM: 11 vs. Michigan, 1/17/20
FTA: 14 vs. Penn State, 1/4/20
Assists: 5 vs. Ohio State, 2/4/21
Steals: 4 vs. Purdue, 3/3/20
Blocks: 5, 2x, last vs. Cincinnati, 12/21/19
Minutes: 40 at Illinois, 3/8/20

He looked good.  Now, he can't get minutes. 

Luka was never going to work in the NBA as more than a 3rd stringer. He's smaller with worse specs than Bruno. 

https://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=bruno-fernando--luka-garza

Luka at best is a drop defender who can't defend the paint, the rim, is an on ball shot blocker like Bruno, can't switch, and he's an undersized center like Bruno.

Luka can score, hell, he still can score, his per36 is off the charts but like Bruno, you aren't getting better with him on the court. He just doesn't have the specs. 

Once again, if you gonna come, come correct. 

He's not too slow for the NBA. His testing results say that. He's better in the lateral drills than Kobe Bufkin and Durant. His sprint speed is near Durant and easily clears all other giants like Gobert with ease. He has poor fluidity. It's hampers him but he's already overcome that and he's producing at levels we haven't seen offensively in college since. Then you got to think about the fact that he's 7'4 306. That's insane results for that size. 

• Thanks 1