• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

3 hours ago, JTB said:

So I just learned that Edey outperformed Clingan at the draft combine in lane agility time, three-quarter sprint, & max vertical leap.

So let me get this straight…Edey the 2 time college player of the year just showcased better mobility than Clingan and is still not top 10 by folks in the nba draft?!!

After seeing these results I’m going to have to rebuke my all in for Sarr. We have to make sure we are doing the best thing for us and if that’s Edey at #1 then so be it.

i am not having a hard time understanding how Edey hasn’t moved up in ths top 10. He may be the most fluid 7’4 guy in nba history with power.

i think I’m back on Edey train. He can help us right now!

You have several seasons worth of tape to see how he plays.  Can't let a workout change whatever opinion you had based on seeing him actually play.

I'll say again, that's how Darko got drafted by DET back in the day. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kg01 said:

You have several seasons worth of tape to see how he plays.  Can't let a workout change whatever opinion you had based on seeing him actually play.

I'll say again, that's how Darko got drafted by DET back in the day. 

Darko was projected to be 2nd overall during that entire process. It's not just Detroit just made a hastily decision. Darko hype hurt Euro prospects till Luka shined and showed out. 

Darko also had one of the most impressive individual workouts and every Piston swore on his abilities. Just didn't have the right mentality and Larry Brown was a terrible coach for his personality type.

Another big that projects to the NBA better than Edey.  I'd love to buy a pick and get this guy!!  I've been watching Bona since last year's draft.  Draft Sarr one and buy a pick to get Bona.  There's your beefy big that isn't an immobile stiff on the floor.  

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Another big that projects to the NBA better than Edey.  I'd love to buy a pick and get this guy!!  I've been watching Bona since last year's draft.  Draft Sarr one and buy a pick to get Bona.  There's your beefy big that isn't an immobile stiff on the floor.  

If you are predicting that Bona will be drafted before Edey, I'm up for that action!

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

If you are predicting that Bona will be drafted before Edey, I'm up for that action!

I'm not predicting it, but he should be.  He will be a better NBA player than Edey.  

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, JTB said:

So I just learned that Edey outperformed Clingan at the draft combine in lane agility time, three-quarter sprint, & max vertical leap.

So let me get this straight…Edey the 2 time college player of the year just showcased better mobility than Clingan and is still not top 10 by folks in the nba draft?!!

After seeing these results I’m going to have to rebuke my all in for Sarr. We have to make sure we are doing the best thing for us and if that’s Edey at #1 then so be it.

i am not having a hard time understanding how Edey hasn’t moved up in ths top 10. He may be the most fluid 7’4 guy in nba history with power.

i think I’m back on Edey train. He can help us right now!

Edey didn't just beat Clingan he beat several other big guys in his metrics. I truly don't understand how one person can be so down on Edey when you have his amazing college resume plus his MEASURED athletic ability that might be the best ever tested for a player his size.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Edey didn't just beat Clingan he beat several other big guys in his metrics. I truly don't understand how one person can be so down on Edey when you have his amazing college resume plus his MEASURED athletic ability that might be the best ever tested for a player his size.

He has no translatable skill.  He's a back to the basket big who is a stationary defender.  Offensively, he will never be able to take the ball from the top of the key to the rim off the dribble.  He's not a shooter.  He's not a short roll guy because his passing is below average.  He's not a great rim runner because he lacks explosion and speed.  Defensively, he is never going to be able to guard the PNR in the NBA.  He's a drop defender that will be too slow going from the level of the screen to his drop point.  He can't close out on shots.  

His lone translatable trait is his screening, and you don't take a screener with a high pick. 

I could care less what his testing numbers were.  IN GAME, he changes direction like a cruise ship.  He's slow and clunky when he runs.  He has no explosion.  He has no second leap ability.  He's just big.  That works in college.  It doesn't work in the NBA.  

IN GAME, Clingan moves his feet a hell of a lot better than Edey does.  He has better second leap ability.  Even then, I wouldn't take him #1 because you simply should not take this archetype of big with a top pick.  

• Premium Member
Just now, KB21 said:

He has no translatable skill.  He's a back to the basket big who is a stationary defender.  Offensively, he will never be able to take the ball from the top of the key to the rim off the dribble.  He's not a shooter.  He's not a short roll guy because his passing is below average.  He's not a great rim runner because he lacks explosion and speed.  Defensively, he is never going to be able to guard the PNR in the NBA.  He's a drop defender that will be too slow going from the level of the screen to his drop point.  He can't close out on shots.  

His lone translatable trait is his screening, and you don't take a screener with a high pick. 

I could care less what his testing numbers were.  IN GAME, he changes direction like a cruise ship.  He's slow and clunky when he runs.  He has no explosion.  He has no second leap ability.  He's just big.  That works in college.  It doesn't work in the NBA.  

HIs low post skill set absolutely translates to the NBA. The low post is still there, the last several MVPs have shown that. 

He can shoot, he just wasn't encourage to do so in college with the system they ran. His passing is not below average. He has shown really good passing and more importantly to me his basketball IQ is high. You can see that in how he moves around to find little spots on the court to get a shot off or find an open passing lane.

Defensively, yes he'll need drop coverage but he has shown he can defend on P&R. You can scoff at his test results but that's objective, verified data and not subjective opinion. No one is blasting Clingan or the other bigs Edey pasted in the testing but we're not supposed to give Edey credit for it at the same time? Interesting. 

I know you won't change your mind unless Edey gets enough NBA minutes to prove himself and potentially lives up to being worth his college resume. As with any prospect there's a higher degree of him not doing that than his actually reaching it. 

4 minutes ago, Sothron said:

HIs low post skill set absolutely translates to the NBA. The low post is still there, the last several MVPs have shown that. 

He can shoot, he just wasn't encourage to do so in college with the system they ran. His passing is not below average. He has shown really good passing and more importantly to me his basketball IQ is high. You can see that in how he moves around to find little spots on the court to get a shot off or find an open passing lane.

Defensively, yes he'll need drop coverage but he has shown he can defend on P&R. You can scoff at his test results but that's objective, verified data and not subjective opinion. No one is blasting Clingan or the other bigs Edey pasted in the testing but we're not supposed to give Edey credit for it at the same time? Interesting. 

I know you won't change your mind unless Edey gets enough NBA minutes to prove himself and potentially lives up to being worth his college resume. As with any prospect there's a higher degree of him not doing that than his actually reaching it. 

He's consistently late in finding the outlet on his passes when doubled and also when he gets the ball at the elbow.  Also, if he puts the ball on the floor, it's almost a guaranteed turnover (he's not going to get the favorable whistles in the NBA that he got in college).  

43 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Screening

Movement as a big man

Low post movement

Motor

Hook shot

ability to finish through contact

Strength 

Ability to draw contact

Size 

Mental acuity 

Stamina

Touch

Rebounding

Boxing out

Timing 

Leadership

Intangibles 

Hands 

Hand size 

Aggressiveness

Will

7'11 wingspan

[Edey has lots of] translatable skills

I've taken a bit of time to formulate how to say this. You cannot base this pick on fear. The last 2 seasons, Zach Edey has been the best player in the country. Best on offense by a wide margin, top 10% in defensive impact (not necessarily raw numbers). He is the logical pick in the absent a true #1 pick consensus.

You can't let fear of him being a bust sway you here. Instead, if he pans out (20/10 player by year 3), you will always be judged if you let a franchise center get away because you were afraid to pick him. Because you listened to what the talent evaluators said.

2005, the talent evaluators all said that Marvin Williams was a can't miss talent and should go number 1 overall. there were questions about Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Andrew Bynum.  Paul too short, Williams too slow me first type player, Bynum - too many unknowns, too many injuries.  But Marvin Williams was sure to be an all-star capable player with a 10+ year career who does all the little things you need to win a championship.  Fear of taking Paul or Bynum or Williams left us taking the sure thing in duck butt. 

You cannot draft by fear and you cannot trust the so called expert evaluators.

If I'm the Hawks I'm trading down but staying in the top 10 and I'm taking Edey. If I can't trade down, I'm still taking Edey.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, KB21 said:

A 10 mpg sub with the top pick.  Excellent choice.  

It has nothing to do with fear.  It has everything to do with him not being a modern big.  

That's the thing, you see him as that. Not us. 

Let's say he was that, then he shouldn't be a 1st round pick much less #1 overall prospect on my personal BB. But he's not that. So, there is your answer

15 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Particularly when you have a player who is the epitome of what a modern NBA big is in Alex Sarr available to you.  

I really don't see Sarr as a big. He's a big wing to me. He can you be bad at all big man actions on both ends and claim you are a big? 

35 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I've taken a bit of time to formulate how to say this. You cannot base this pick on fear. The last 2 seasons, Zach Edey has been the best player in the country. Best on offense by a wide margin, top 10% in defensive impact (not necessarily raw numbers). He is the logical pick in the absent a true #1 pick consensus.

You can't let fear of him being a bust sway you here. Instead, if he pans out (20/10 player by year 3), you will always be judged if you let a franchise center get away because you were afraid to pick him. Because you listened to what the talent evaluators said.

2005, the talent evaluators all said that Marvin Williams was a can't miss talent and should go number 1 overall. there were questions about Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Andrew Bynum.  Paul too short, Williams too slow me first type player, Bynum - too many unknowns, too many injuries.  But Marvin Williams was sure to be an all-star capable player with a 10+ year career who does all the little things you need to win a championship.  Fear of taking Paul or Bynum or Williams left us taking the sure thing in duck butt. 

You cannot draft by fear and you cannot trust the so called expert evaluators.

If I'm the Hawks I'm trading down but staying in the top 10 and I'm taking Edey. If I can't trade down, I'm still taking Edey.

And if I'm the Hawks, fear of Edey at 1 wouldn't let me take him.  The vehemently argumentative takes for him at one are interesting. He went from early second round, to late first, to lottery and now some want him at one? Interesting.  

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I like Edey but it would be nuts to take him #1 especially with Sarr right there. 

Edey will be drafted in the 20s and he will be a backup for 10 years until his body breaks down because he's too big.  

In 5 years Edey will be out the league. He will go into accounting 🧾 I think 👀 He had always wanted to be an accountant. When we look back at his 2nd grade goals he even lists:

I’m a Giant so I have to play 🏀 but I’m gonna be an accountant! Book it! -8 year old Edey

image.gif.e8564fc192224e0f78c573cc90cb6676.gif