• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

“We were tanking for Giannis”

RedDawg#8

Teague strikes again with another epic story time. This time he drops a nugget about how the Hawks were not trying to make the playoffs in Bud’s first season. They were tanking for Giannis. Teague goes on to say that it was Lou Will himself that said “F the front office, let’s win” and ultimately got in the playoffs as the 8 seed. Starts at the 7:20 mark.

So, remember we just missed out on Giannis that draft. Well, looks like we have Lou Will to thank for bucking the system and trying to win games lol

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

I haven't watched the video but the Hawks team that was playing for draft position for Giannis was coached by Larry Drew.  Lou Williams was on the team so maybe there is a mixup here because Bud has nothing to do with it.  The Hawks ended up with the #6 seed which is why we had the #17 (and 18) pick(s) and not the 15th pick which was owned by the Bucks who were the actual #8 seed.

Flag on the play.

Poster in clear violation of rule 6.75, section g which states: "Never let tha facts get in the way of a good story."

Penalty is 30-minute bann, repeat 1st down. 

• Haha 2

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

They should have never fired Larry Drew till they landed Giannis first

Agree.  Even if they were moving on, he was still under contract.  No need to let him go and share the secrets with his new team.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Finally we have the answer.  Lou Will says tanking does not work.

Seems to me that whatever his opinion he showed that losing more games (i.e., tanking ) can work if your goal is to target someone in the draft because it seems pretty obvious that if we would have finished with a worse record that year we would have drafted a 2x MVP.  If the guy isn't on the board when you pick, you can't get him.  So instead of Giannis becoming a Hawk, the Bucks hire Drew who shares our scouting and priority on Giannis and they end up NBA champions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, AHF said:

I haven't watched the video but the Hawks team that was playing for draft position for Giannis was coached by Larry Drew.  Lou Williams was on the team so maybe there is a mixup here because Bud has nothing to do with it.  The Hawks ended up with the #6 seed which is why we had the #17 (and 18) pick(s) and not the 15th pick which was owned by the Bucks who were the actual #8 seed.

Maybe he was confused because the story started out talking about the series against Indiana which was definitely Bud’s first season. He also said that Al Horford was pulling Hibbert out of the paint that series but I believe Al was out for the season with the torn pec so again, just seems like a mixup of all the facts surrounding that 2 year period between Drew’s last season and Bud’s first. The tank story could still be true because LouWill was here under Drew, and then back the following season under Bud. I don’t think Bud wanted to tank ever. 

Teague’s version of events are way more entertaining.

After researching to jog my memory we played Indy in the first round in back to back years matching both parts of his story. Getting bounced in 6 was Drew’s team. So, he just added elements of Coach Bud and the 2013/14 playoffs to the premise of the 2012/13 seasons/playoffs.

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 1