• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks 2024 Draft Thread

Mikey

I'll start. Assuming the kings pick conveys I think the draft philosophy should be pretty simple. Add 1 wing and Add 1 big:

Wings I have my eye on: Holland, Risacher, Furphy, Matas, Cody Williams in that order.

Bigs I have my eye on: Sarr, Ware, Flip, Missi, Holmes in that order

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'll start. Assuming the kings pick conveys I think the draft philosophy should be pretty simple. Add 1 wing and Add 1 big:

Wings I have my eye on: Holland, Risacher, Furphy, Matas, Cody Williams in that order.

Interesting.  I'm curious as to why Cody Williams would be 5th among the wings?  Are you convinced that Holland will shoot better long term than he has shown to this point?  

I think a very real discussion that we should have is the fact that the proverbial BPA when the Hawks pick may actually be Stephon Castle, who at 6'6" has the ability to guard 1-3, and if he were a better shooter overall, he'd probably be the top overall prospect in this draft, IMO.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Interesting.  I'm curious as to why Cody Williams would be 5th among the wings?  Are you convinced that Holland will shoot better long term than he has shown to this point?  

I think a very real discussion that we should have is the fact that the proverbial BPA when the Hawks pick may actually be Stephon Castle, who at 6'6" has the ability to guard 1-3, and if he were a better shooter overall, he'd probably be the top overall prospect in this draft, IMO.  

Cody is a tough assessment for me in this draft and his fit with the hawks. I don't really buy his handle and he doesn't have elite athleticism. Feel like he is getting a bump from who is brother is ngl. I still rate him highly overall but I think the hawks don't a guy who at this point only projects as a scorer as the 3. Think we need more versatility on both ends of the court at that spot. Holland defensively is so good that he has to be top of the wing group imo and I buy his jumper long term.

Funny enough, I absolutely LOVE castle. I think he is a clear cut top guy in this draft. He is also an absolutely perfect fit at the 2 next to Trae. Only reason I didn't list him is because I know how much Quin loves and views Kobe I would envision he is starting at the 2 next year so it felt like a double dip. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Obviously Furphy and Risacher at this stage for the wings. The rest are developmental and we don't have that type of time. Knecht is someone I like a lot as he's very good and fits what we do. 

Bigs: I don't see Sarr as a big, more a big wing upside wise. If he's a big, he will suck and be a bust. Needs to play the 3 like J. McDaniels. Edey and Clingan. Missi and Ware are cool in general but for us, I'll pass. I haven't watched Holmes and won't till the combine. Flip makes sense as well as a 4.

Hawks BB

Edey

Gap

Risacher 

Clingan 

Gap

Knecht 

Shannon Jr. 

Gap

Flip 

Furphy

Gap

The rest for now. We got along way to go. I like a lot of prospects but minutes are hard to come by for us. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Obviously Furphy and Risacher at this stage for the wings. The rest are developmental and we don't have that type of time. Knecht is someone I like a lot as he's very good and fits what we do. 

Bigs: I don't see Sarr as a big, more a big wing upside wise. If he's a big, he will suck and be a bust. Needs to play the 3 like J. McDaniels. Edey and Clingan. Missi and Ware are cool in general but for us, I'll pass. I haven't watched Holmes and won't till the combine. Flip makes sense as well as a 4.

Hawks BB

Edey

Gap

Risacher 

Clingan 

Gap

Knecht 

Shannon Jr. 

Gap

Flip 

Furphy

Gap

The rest for now. We got along way to go

Knecht is an interesting eval. The dude comps really similar to Bogi imo for good and bad. If his defense was passable I think he would be a top 10-15 lock but he's probably gonna be the guy that slides then a team like the Heat take him and everybody goes "How did this guy fall". If hawks move off of bogi or someone I wouldn't mind him at all.

• Premium Member

I am in no way familiar with any draft prospects, but I would hope that we do not draft with the mindset of "need a contributor right now" instead of picking the prospects with the most upside, or seemingly realizable upside.  I want the Hawks to build a program that sustains success in the long run, not one that thinks "we have to win today to make Trae happy".  Great franchises develop their draft picks and young players and have a constant stream of high value talent on the bench.  We have the coaching staff to do that, so I hope we are not picking guys under the premise we need a contributor next year.  Need to exercise patience right now 

• Like 3

Just now, Mikey said:

Knecht is an interesting eval. The dude comps really similar to Bogi imo for good and bad. If his defense was passable I think he would be a top 10-15 lock but he's probably gonna be the guy that slides then a team like the Heat take him and everybody goes "How did this guy fall". If hawks move off of bogi or someone I wouldn't mind him at all.

He's more like Dan Majerie. Bogi feel is insane. He play can play this game with ease and as he's aged, Bogi is just smooth. Dalton is more forceful. Athletic. He'll bring it to you. Plays with power. We really don't got many minutes available since Murray.plays the 2 as well is the only issue for us with him. The pull up 3 and the off ball action to the right corner 3 is Bogi esque

He's gonna be coveted right around 11. Definitely. He can score and he's polished. He's 3 years older than AJ right now 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I am in no way familiar with any draft prospects, but I would hope that we do not draft with the mindset of "need a contributor right now" instead of picking the prospects with the most upside, or seemingly realizable upside.  I want the Hawks to build a program that sustains success in the long run, not one that thinks "we have to win today to make Trae happy".  Great franchises develop their draft picks and young players and have a constant stream of high value talent on the bench.  We have the coaching staff to do that, so I hope we are not picking guys under the premise we need a contributor next year.  Need to exercise patience right now 

This is different for everyone. I believe Mikey is right there with you. He likes upside. Me, it just depends. What stage are you. We are at the fits stage. We barely got minutes and the minutes that could be available are at the 5 and the 4. Kobe is good and can't even get on the floor. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

He's more like Dan Majerie. Bogi feel is insane. He play can play this game with ease and as he's aged, Bogi is just smooth. Dalton is more forceful. Athletic. He'll bring it to you. Plays with power. We really don't got many minutes available since Murray.plays the 2 as well is the only issue for us with him. The pull up 3 and the off ball action to the right corner 3 is Bogi esque

He's gonna be coveted right around 11. Definitely. He can score and he's polished. He's 3 years older than AJ right now 

Yeah he's been a nice surprise in CBB this year. Excited to watch him in the tourney. He absolutely fits Quin system I just don't know if we can afford another "bad" defender. If they move off some guys though he can slot in

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Yeah he's been a nice surprise in CBB this year. Excited to watch him in the tourney. He absolutely fits Quin system I just don't know if we can afford another "bad" defender. If they move off some guys though he can slot in

Is he really a bad defender? Bogi is a "bad" defender but is he really one. Bogi has a -0.1 defensive RAPTOR. That's not terrible. 

I like Knecht, we just don't got many minutes available on the wing. 

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Is he really a bad defender? Bogi is a "bad" defender but is he really one. Bogi has a -0.1 defensive RAPTOR. That's not terrible. 

I like Knecht, we just don't got many minutes available on the wing. 

Is he bogi bad no. But he is definitely on the negative side IMO. At his age too its not great the lapses he has as a team defender. The flip side of this is that Skyhawks have a great defensive structure he could learn and improve on (but 23 in g league would get interesting)

5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

We are pretty deep with PGs and wings

Trae Murray Forrest

Wings Dre, Bey, Griffin, Bogi, Bufkin, and Lundy.

Bigs Capela, OO, JJ, Gueye

We lack bigs right now. 

I'd move Kobe into the guard group. Wing room probably changes a lot in summer if I had to guess. Does Bey get paid from someone else? Imagine Griffin is on way out. Definitely need to use a pick on big though 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Is he bogi bad no. But he is definitely on the negative side IMO. At his age too its not great the lapses he has as a team defender. The flip side of this is that Skyhawks have a great defensive structure he could learn and improve on (but 23 in g league would get interesting)

I believe if you are smart, understand positioning and he has size, I think he's an okay defender. 3 DBPM also says he's not a negative and he's 215 too. 

I like Dalton. He's very good and few guys are that or better in this class. 

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'd move Kobe into the guard group. Wing room probably changes a lot in summer if I had to guess. Does Bey get paid from someone else? Imagine Griffin is on way out. Definitely need to use a pick on big though 

You think he's gonna be playing PG

Griffin is still liked in the organization. He just had issues he had to deal with 

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Ware is interesting to me but I have Flip ranked higher.   I got Sarr high because of potential.   His frame is something that I would like to see him put more weight on.  Having looked at his brother, I think he can easily get up to 240 maybe 245.. but right now, I would get he's closer to 216-218 which isn't heavy enough.   The thing is that his potential is something that is hard to walk away from.   I expect that he will drop...especially after some of these other guys get exposure in championship games and march madness.   He may fall as far as 9 places IMO. 

IMO it's hard not to try to come out of this draft with a 5 and a 4.   I think we have a lot of 2s and maybe we can pick up a BU PG in FAcy... But I would like somebody who can attack the basket.. be a lob threat... and play good defense.   Sarr is a dream... even though he's light in the ass... I think his defense and shooting gets him at the table.   Missi would be my lob threat... I just don't see him having the motor I want.   Ware is interesting.   People aren't high on him yet.  If his defensive recognition is there, I would take a strong look at him over Flip. 

At the 4??  Flip??  He's going to be a Center though.    Maybe Tyler Smith.   I like his measurables... and from what I have seen of him, he looks very smooth.  I don't know about his defense though. 

Truth is.. in the future.  Mo G should be our PF...  JJ may have to be our 3.  Why Diesel??  I cringe everytime I see JJ in the box against a big on the switch.  We all love JJ here but him playing against 5 showed us.. that he's way out of his depth.   He's so useful that I think he can be a 3.  Plus.. Mo G is the future of basketball. 

• Like 2