• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks 2024 Draft Thread

Mikey

Who Atlanta drafts should depend a lot on who they keep and who they trade for.  

Personally, players who have size and can shoot have priority along with IQ and athletic ability.  I know!  If they don't fit, we don't need them.

:smug:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Who Atlanta drafts should depend a lot on who they keep and who they trade for.  

Personally, players who have size and can shoot have priority along with IQ and athletic ability.  I know!  If they don't fit, we don't need them.

:smug:

I agree. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dalton Knecht is a guy who could fill Bogi's role if the Hawks decide to move off his contract.  He can shoot it, but he can also score off the dribble when teams try to run him off the three-point line.  He dropped 40 points on 14 of 29 shooting (6 of 15 from three) on Kentucky this weekend.  

• Like 1

The more that I look at these draft prospects, the more I feel like the best players that may be available to the Hawks aren't necessarily at positions of need.  For example, if the Hawks first pick falls in the 9-11 range, Reed Sheppard may be the best player on the board at that pick.  Anyone old enough to remember when Reed's dad played for the Hawks?

• Like 2

Just now, KB21 said:

The more that I look at these draft prospects, the more I feel like the best players that may be available to the Hawks aren't necessarily at positions of need.  For example, if the Hawks first pick falls in the 9-11 range, Reed Sheppard may be the best player on the board at that pick.  Anyone old enough to remember when Reed's dad played for the Hawks?

I feel the same, just pick BPA at your spot.. it worked for Jalen Johnson. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Reed is between 1-2 on my personal top 10. Him and Risacher are neck and neck with Risacher having the floor edge, and Reed having the ceiling advantage 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Reed is between 1-2 on my personal top 10. Him and Risacher are neck and neck with Risacher having the floor edge, and Reed having the ceiling advantage 

those are my top 2 as well but I have a feeling they will both go top 5. Maybe within a package of a trade in June we can somehow get him but it will be a long shot.

Edited by theheroatl

27 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Anyone old enough to remember when Reed's dad played for the Hawks?

didn't realize Jeff was his dad but yes, I remember him. He's been a running joke between my brother and I for ages. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Did you see any of the head-to-head matchup between Reed Sheppard and Josh Hubbard?  That was fun!  

• Like 1

Reed Shephard and Dalton Knecht are very interesting prospects but I don't see how they make sense for the Hawks unless they are trading one or more of their existing back court players.  If the teams moves Murray or Bogi then drafting a guard would make more sense.

If I were the Hawks GM I would be actively looking to move one of Murray or Bogi along with Capela, ideally for a defensive oriented wing or a defensive oriented big with length, and then I would use the draft to fill whichever hole I have left after that trade.

If no trades, I would focus on finding a defensive oriented 3 to replace Bey and a big with size to ultimately replace Capela.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Packfill said:

Reed Shephard and Dalton Knecht are very interesting prospects but I don't see how they make sense for the Hawks unless they are trading one or more of their existing back court players.  If the teams moves Murray or Bogi then drafting a guard would make more sense.

If I were the Hawks GM I would be actively looking to move one of Murray or Bogi along with Capela, ideally for a defensive oriented wing or a defensive oriented big with length, and then I would use the draft to fill whichever hole I have left after that trade.

If no trades, I would focus on finding a defensive oriented 3 to replace Bey and a big with size to ultimately replace Capela.  

That's the conundrum.  Where the Hawks will likely be picking, the value for the "big" three may not be there.  Especially one that can play right away.  

5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

That's the conundrum.  Where the Hawks will likely be picking, the value for the "big" three may not be there.  Especially one that can play right away.  

That is why I would be aggressive on the trade market.  

Unless JJ because Tatum 2.0 (and going from "good" to "great" is exceptionally difficult, so I don't think that is something the team can expect) I do not see a path to championship contender with this Hawks roster so I view a retooling as essential.  I would have absolutely no problem adding Kobe, AJ or OO as trade filler if it gets me the right return.  

19 minutes ago, KB21 said:

If the Hawks were to draft Reed Sheppard, the Trae Young rumors would start spinning out of control.  

dont think so, reed is definitely a good bradley beal mold definitely not stockton, young, nash

Edited by theheroatl

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Packfill said:

Since I will be surprised if we don't move DJM, I think Knecht looks like a natural fit (moreso than Reed because of his size although I'd be personally more excited for Reed).  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Packfill said:

💯💯💯 to all of this  

Murray and Bogi would net the best returns. I really like Bogi, but this is the first year he’s been healthy (knock on wood) in like five years. Sell high. 

If we traded both, drafted Knecht and signed a vet PG to backup Trae for 10 minutes a game, do you think Trae-vet-Kobe-Knecht backcourt could hold its own next year?

That could be a tough ask from such a young SG tandem. If we heavily invested in upgrades/depth with our 3, 4, 5 positions, maybe that would alleviate enough pressure for them to work.

58 minutes ago, AHF said:

Since I will be surprised if we don't move DJM, I think Knecht looks like a natural fit (moreso than Reed because of his size although I'd be personally more excited for Reed).  

Co-sign