• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Lottery Bound

JayBirdHawk

5 minutes ago, aali34 said:

@NBASupes Hawks University should help him adjust. I saw Deandre Hunter go from a ball stopper with tunnel vision to someone who could flow within the offense and make decisive reads in a season.

Hawks University starts in College Park. Patience will be critical for Sarr. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I thought this was interesting.

These are the #1 picks from 1989 - 2024, and what they turned out to be.

image.png.706f96a1590e803b64964924e4f1cbb7.png

image.png.f69e89666dac50308f7ee57115613589.png

image.png.a3f14d7f597672e40c486654ad6f73a7.png

image.png.c58dbb69edd54ef09474545a8bda537f.png

I think whomever the Hawks take at 1, they need to be thrown into the main rotation right away.  Whether he's a starter or coming off the bench, he needs to be thrown into the fire right away.  No less than 20 minutes a night.

We need the guy to contribute immediately and see if he can be a rookie of the year candidate.  And if he's not a starter in Year 1, I definitely want him starting in Year 2.

That's why we keep the pick and we start them immediately. Love this post

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

This is why we need him. No one in this draft is a perfect fit, but if we get someone who can be a point of attack defender, I don't really care about their offense while they develop.  Trae will take care of that.  

As long as the plan is to be a big wing and we are patient, only then, am I on board. 

If he's a 5, f*** it! I'm completely out and when the worst happens, I told you so. 

I see the potential but we gotta have a plan. That said, how does this help Trae?

Just now, marco102 said:

How was any pick going to help Trae?  Any pick we made this year was a look to the future.  They help Trae by using that John Collins trade exception and trading other pieces.

I've never thought of this draft as helping Trae immediately, but it can def help him in the future.

If this is your perspective, I can't say anything negative then. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

As long as the plan is to be a big wing and we are patient, only then, am I on board. 

If he's a 5, f*** it! I'm completely out and when the worst happens, I told you so. 

I see the potential but we gotta have a plan. That said, how does this help Trae?

Defensively it helps a lot.

One thing no one is talking about is how moving on from Dejounte and cementing JJ as the second guy helps. No more taking turns on possessions.

We're gonna see a ton of 1/4 pnr like we had pre-Capela, and Sarr won't get in the way as badly as Clint did for JC.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, aali34 said:

One thing no one is talking about is how moving on from Dejounte and cementing JJ as the second guy helps. No more taking turns on possessions.

We're gonna see a ton of 1/4 pnr like we had pre-Capela, and Sarr won't get in the way as badly as Clint did for JC.

Sarr is way worse at the PnR than any of our current bigs. I really don't believe people understand, this guy doesn't play like a big offensively, at all. 

Sarr is more likely to be an effective PnR ball handler if we keeping it a buck

Edited by NBASupes

7 minutes ago, Sothron said:

The "Hawks DNA" will be used extensively to describe what the team is looking for in the draft.

I personally could give a damn about "Hawks DNA".  That proved absolutely nothing last season.

I don't want to hear any cute catch phrases from Landry or Quin.   Play the correct guys to get some chemistry on this team.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, marco102 said:

How was any pick going to help Trae?  Any pick we made this year was a look to the future.  They help Trae by using that John Collins trade exception and trading other pieces.

I've never thought of this draft as helping Trae immediately, but it can def help him in the future.

So much This. All of it!!!

Just now, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I personally could give a damn about "Hawks DNA".  That proved absolutely nothing last season.

I don't want to hear any cute catch phrases from Landry or Quin.   Play the correct guys to get some chemistry on this team.

What exactly is 'Hawks DNA' though?

10 minutes ago, Sothron said:

First serious update post lottery:

Team's draft board before the lottery drawing was the two French kids and Clingan in that order. Obviously no one in the FO seriously thought we would win the lottery with such poor odds.

When Landry in his post drawing media spot said he wasn't even thinking about a trade, just focusing on homework on the pick, that was not GM talk. It was real. Multiple teams in the NBA have called or reached out just to offer congrats to our FO because of the historic nature of the Hawks *finally* winning the lottery.

The workouts and team interviews are going to play a huge role in who they finally select at #1. I was told that unless another team blows them away the Hawks are absolutely keeping the pick. Both Resslers feel this is "manna from Heaven" to fix the roster and keep Trae's interest in staying here. 

All the top prospects are so close together I was told one really strong interview or work out could be the deciding factor on who they select. The "Hawks DNA" will be used extensively to describe what the team is looking for in the draft. This source suspects both UCONN players are going to really impress the FO but the raw potential of both French kids is hard to overlook.

The FO is praying/hoping that the other Ressler doesn't stick his nose into the pick. The first ever #1 pick that will actually play with the Hawks (screw you David Thompson btw) is a huge deal. The fear is whoever Tony wants will be the de facto pick regardless of what the FO decides. 

This does affect potential trade scenarios. If for instance Zach is the #1 pick the team will be less likely to trade for BI. If we take Sarr or Clingan then the need for a center will be less likely. Source feels as we get closer to the draft and the natural mania/hysteria over potential picks might get some serious trade talks brewing from sources we didn't expect before. And no, this source would not provide team names even when prompted.

If they have to pray that lil’ owner Jr. won’t intervene, I encourage them to find a job elsewhere where they can be treated like what they were hired to do.  

• Like 4

• Premium Member
Just now, NBASupes said:

Sarr is way worse at the PnR than any of our current bigs. I really don't believe people understand, this guy doesn't play like a big offensively, at all. 

He didn't have any good pnr guards to play with based on what I've read. But I'm saying that we can run Trae/JJ pnr alot more then we could if Dejounte is moved, and I like Sarr's perimeter style mixed with JJ's playmaking.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, aali34 said:

Or you might see 3/4 pick and roll with JJ as the pnr ball handler.

• Like 3

Just now, aali34 said:

He didn't have any good pnr guards to play with based on what I've read. But I'm saying that we can run Trae/JJ pnr alot more then we could if Dejounte is moved, and I like Sarr's perimeter style mixed with JJ's playmaking.

Ya'll love setting yourself up for this. I've watched the full games, he's the problem bro. His screens are shit. Doesn't like contact. Doesn't roll strong either nor does he have PnR IQ. He's literally just a lob threat. 

I am out on him if the idea is him as a 5. He will bust extremely fast.