• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks and Clippers talking?

KB21

http://www.nypost.com/sports/22004.htm

Quote:

Decision makers and swayers representin' both the Clips and Hawks disclose and confirm there's meaningful conversation regarding a swap of elite first round choices.

To nobody's shock or awe, Atlanta's primary objective is to place itself in position to draft local schoolboy sensation Dwight Howard. In order to accomplish that goal it must, at the minimum, advance to the second overall pick owned by L.A., since it appears Emeka Okafor will be selected first by the Magic.

Although the Clips might be able to find room in their lineup for a 6-10 power tool, their pressing need is for a point guard. The idea, which may soon be realized, is to swap No. 2 for Nos. 6 & 17 and harvest either Wisconsin's 6-3 Devin Harris or 6-7 teenager Shaun Livingston with the highest pick.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~90~2179983,00.html

Josh Smith will be in Atlanta on Tuesday, working out against Josh Childress, among others.

Good now we get to evaluate the so called next Vince Carter skills in Smith. We will see whether he has real potential. We won't workout Dwight Howard because the thought is he won't be around at the #6thpick but Knight has seen enough of him to be Smitten by his skills now let's see whether Joshua can sway his mind and convince Billy he is the Franchise not Howard.

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm not willing to trade multiple picks to move up and take and unknown player like Dwight Howard. I'm especially against a rumored deal that includes next year's first round pick.

Unfortunately, the Hawks are not a player away from contending, and they need an influx of talent. The Hawks need to look at a player like Josh Smith with their 6th pick, and concentrate on Kirk Snyder or Luke Jackson with their 17th pick.

TROUBLEMAN

I am in the minority with you trouble. While I think it would be great to have Howard, Smith may have as much or more upside than him. To me giving up the #6 and maybe the future Philly 1st should be enough. If they want Terry then we take back one of their PFs and also give them the #6. If they dont want to give up one of their PFs then we give them Terry and the #17......but thats as far as I would go. I would probably even consider taking Ely or Wilcox and the #2 for the #6 straight up.....since we would be helping Sterling to free up some of his beloved money.

No, you dont get Smith/Humphries......you MIGHT go after Smith and wait on him to develope, but you certainly dont draft ANOTHER SF in the 1st round after taking Smith and with likely having Jax re-signed. If we dont get Howard or another big man with that top pick, you can rest assured that Billy will be going C or big PF with the 17th pick without a doubt.

i wouldn't give up both 1st round picks because there is alot of talent out there..in a deep draft where the line between a #6 pick and a #17 pick is fine, the latter pick becomes more valuable than normally...

i say trade the #6 and philly's #1...or trade #6 and maybe jason terry(i'm torn on this one still)...or trade #17, jason terry, and philly's #1...

but to lose TWO 1st round picks in this draft scares me... there is so much room to fail in hindsight...

the certainty of those two things is vastly different. It's why I've said all along I don't really want Howard, and, in a way, hoped that we didnt' get the first pick and have to draft him.

I'd rather have Smith. Something about Howard just says "very good player" and never great...with the expectations of this city, the current state of thigns, etc...I'd rather stay away.

• Premium Member

IF we could get #2 for JT and #17, I think we all would celebrate Knight for years and Years.... Unfortunately, LAC wants Ben Gordon.

My thought is that maybe we can swap picks with Phoenix...

#17/2 2nd rounders to Phoenix for #7 + whatever they need to drop in order to get Kobe...

Maybe we can get Phoenix's 1st if they feel that they have a strong shot at Kobe....

If we can get #7... JT + #7 to LAC for #2... We keep #6 and get Howard/Smith!!

Certainly you dont realize that he is 6'8" generously. This team does not need a miniature (regardless of weight or build) PF. We need someone who is at the minimum 6'10 to be able to man up with guys like Rasheed and Jermaine.

I don't want to give up the #6 pick. I'd much rather offer up the #17, Philly's first and two of our second rounders. I'd also offer the #17 and JT.

I'm not sure who Billy is targetting but I think having two picks is a must for our rebuilding franchise. We should be able to find ourselves a couple of big men or a big man and a point guard.

As for the Clips I think they are better served to take the 17, Philly first and two second rounders and we take back a contract or two. This gives them a legit shot at Kobe. They can then sign and trade Qrich to Utah for more capspace. I think they need to find an experienced point guard and could see them going for Van Exel or D Fish if those two both opt out. The Clippers are too close to the playoffs to start a rookie point guard who could actually be a shooting guard, if Gordon is their choice.

I'd like us to grab Howard and Livingston/J Smith. I'd then go out and get Foyle.

Livingston

JSmith

SJax

Howard

Foyle

I'd bring Diaw off the bench as the sixth man to spell any of Livingston/Smith/Jax to keep our ball handling up. This lineup would be long and could run.

your sentiments are right...but with this team? what are you going to do with four rookies on the team? I just can't imagine how horrible that team would be...esp. since none, or few, of the rooks are really ready to play this year.

• Premium Member

You get guys who click and play with energy and excitement. Think about the Clippers. If there has been one franchise that sucked harder than the Hawks, it would have to be the Clips. Then suddenly, and this wasn't too long ago, the Clippers had all this talent and they were the talk of the leauge (outside of the winning teams and whatnots). They busted out new uniforms...Q and Miles started that fist-head thing...and *poof* they've got expectations and appear to be on the verge of breaking away from the lottery pack. People even start figuring them into the free agent picture!

Winning isn't so important over the next couple of years; it is the ultimate goal, true; though, before we start winning we need to start adding talent to win with. Equally as important to winning is filtering the talent we acquire in the next few years to find marketable players. Atlanta doesn't need another winning team that fails catch the attention of the fans or the league.

The last thing that I want to see is this team making the playoffs for the first time in years...only to have our home court dominated by the opposing teams fans. mad.gif

• Premium Member

Quote:

Warriors Will Look At Ben Gordon

Jason Fleming

Basketball News Services 

University of Connecticut star point guard Ben Gordon will be holding a workout on Tuesday in New York and the Golden State Warriors will be one of several teams in attendance. The Warriors have the 11th pick in the June draft, probably too low to draft Gordon, but that doesn't mean they couldn't move up if they are blown away by what they see.

So this begs the question: Are the Warriors really interested in bringing in Ben Gordon, or are they attending the workout to make other teams think they are interested? Or are they simply curious? Golden State made a move last summer to get a point guard when they signed Speedy Claxton and they still have Nick Van Exel under contract. It is very likely the team has come to the conclusion that neither one is their starter of the future.

Well, we all knew that about Van Exel. He's pretty much getting paid at this point, since he doesn't seem interested in playing. The Warriors would love to move him - or see him not pick up his option, but that won't happen - and may find some takers this summer. In that case, and with Avery Johnson likely moving to the coaching ranks, new coach Mike Montgomery would need a new point guard. This new point guard could either be a stopgap to back up Claxton or he could be a future star. Gordon looks to fit into the latter category and many think he could fill the same role and provide the same excitement Dwyane Wade brought to the Miami Heat this year.

If the Warriors decide they really want Gordon they would likely have to move past the LA Clippers at number five to get him. The Clippers are already sold on him as their future point,
though rumors have surfaced they wouldn't mind moving down in the draft for more first round picks if a team such as Boston, Utah, or Portland (teams with multiple first-rounders) make them a good offer. The Warriors don't have much to offer the Clips in that department, but they could make a deal with the Charlotte Bobcats at number four.

What would the Bobcats want? Maybe a young player, like Jason Richardson, Troy Murphy, or Mike Dunleavy plus the Warriors #11 would make it happen. The Orlando Magic and Washington Wizards might also be interested in making a deal if it came to that.

So are the Warriors seriously interested in Gordon? We don't think they are yet, but after today that could change.

There are other sources... numerous that state the very same thing... That the clipps have seen Gordon work out and that he is seen as a guy who could be their future. However, you won't believe will you???