• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woodson's Choice

Inside_Man

Last night rookie player Josh Smith saved rookie coach Woodson from doing something stupid, i.e. taking him out of the game. We saw the same thing earlier this year when RoyAl Ivey's play forced the rookie coach not to make that mistake too in the Houston game. Two instances of our rookie players saving this coach from himself have accounted for 66% of the teams wins this year. Obviously, this doesn't look good for the rookie coach, since when there's no one there to save him from himself, we lose.

Woodson's dilemma is that he obviously can't go with 4 forwards too often like he did last night. Minutes for JoshChill are already rationed, and when RoyAl comes back that will be even more backcourt minutes in demand.

The bottom line is that the rookie coach has refused to cut into Al and AW's minutes in any significant way. Both still manage to play well over 40 minutes per night. Last night's results pretty much forces his hand to give Josh Smith serious minutes. Face it, Woodson's reliance on heavy minutes for Al and AW weren't resulting in wins.

It's clear that Toine must be moved near the trading deadline, to enable our frontcourt minutes to be divided between JoshSmve and Al. Hopefully, BK will get a 1st pick for him.

In the meantime, the rookie coach needs to cut AW's minutes to 35 max and AL down to about 40 in order to get JoshS more court time. He can win games.

The coach also needs to let Childress, and Ivey when he gets back, have some significant time on the court. THey don't need major minutes, but they need to believe they'll be left alone to play. As long as these kids believe that they'll get yanked if they make one small mistake, then they'll never relax and be comfortable enough to get in their groove. This idea at yanking the rook for each and every mistake is a bad one. If we treated our rookie coach that way, he'd be fired already.

If I wasn't trying to write an intelligent and thoughtful post, I'd just call our rookie coach an idiot. Maybe I'll do that next time.

I really don't understand why everyone is bashing woodson. Has it occurred to you that if woodson had given chill and smoove alot of PT right off the bat they might not be developing as fast as they are, playing as hard as they are? There is alot to be said for young players having to earn every second of PT by good play on the court or in practice. If it means that we'll be losing a few more games but our rookies learn quicker, I'm all for it. Seems to me like Ivey Childress and Smith are coming along at a nice pace. Don't worry about their minutes so much, worry about their progress. It's not like they're progressing without Woodson's help and he's just holding them back by not giving minutes. I'm sure he's working them hard in practice and conveying how they need to be as perfect as possible to earn each minute of PT

Go Woody!

I'm with Lascar on this one. The important point to take from this is that each of the rookies has made plays that force the coach to keep them in. That is a good thing, that is old fashion earning your minutes.

The fact that each rookie is progressing is a sign that they are being handled correctly. I think some players respond to being thrown to the wolves and just figuring it out on their own - LeBron comes to mind. Others need a little patience to reach their potential, whether that be in the form of showing increased effort, better fundamentals, whatever. There is no clear cut right or wrong way to develop a player because each such player is unique.

We should take the fact that the rookies are showing improvements and increasing their contributions as a good thing - i.e., that the approach Woodson is taking works.

• Moderators

I'm right in between you guys. I've been disappointed in Woodson's rotations not because he's not giving the young guys time on the court to develop, but because its becoming apparent that when the young guys play significant minutes we have a much better chance of winning. The games we've done well in have been when Chill, Smoove, or Royal have gotten real time.

As a good coach he should know they are going to make some bonehead plays. Why yank them after one bad play and then decide not to yank them just because he dunks the ball. Diaw doesn't get yanked for repeatedly throwing the ball into the stands. Collier doesn't get yanked for throwing one foot air balls, KA doesn't get yanked for just dribbling up the court and passing to AW every time (well maybe he does).

Woodson is learning is way and I'm willing to give him time, but if the rooks are producting more and winning more than the vets then there is no reason not to put them on the floor. They can't look as bad as the starters have been the previous 9 games.

I dont know what Woody has in mind when Ivey comes back. The only thing I suspect is Kenny put on IL. I wouldnt mind seeing a backcourt of Diaw and Chill, because Delk is really not a play maker and is nothing near a true point guard. As far as I am concern, watching the games the only PG's that seem to be making plays are Ivey and Diaw. I think Kenny should be on IL when Ivey comes back, now he should be benched. Leave Delk for that firepower off the bench and start Diaw/Chill/Toine/Al/Peja.

Other than Toine/Al/Peja/Delk and Diaw as of late, our 3 next best players are the 3 rookies (Chill, Guilty Pleasure and Poison Ivey)and they still can make a case to be better than Diaw and Delk.

• Moderators

EDS approach is right and sensible if the vets were performing, but they've been getting blown out.

Getting Chill and Smoove consistent minutes (i'm not suggesting 40 a game or even 30) where they can spell the starters but some pressure on the opposing team by banging the glass they it will make the whole team better.

Le me be a little clearer.

Rather than focus on the rookies' minutes. Look at it from a standpoint of Al and AW's minutes. Coach obviously feels that they each HAVE to have at least 43 minutes EVERY night. He's not flexible on that point.

I think the shocking fact that he has no clue on is that he could cut their minutes some (not a lot) and win more games.

Sure, he's tried a zillion combinations this year, but the one he hasn't tried is cutting them back a bit.

Heck, minutes can motivate vets too. "AW, you want to play 43 minutes? Hit 5 straght free throws and you'll get your minutes."

I like what you are saying concerning giving the rooks more minutes. Maybe (I hope so anyway) the ultimate goal is to trade Walker and move Al to the 4. Then Childress and Smith can split up another 40 minutes between them. Got to keep giving Walker the minutes so we can get a good pick for him, just like Rasheed last year.

Let's face it, with or without the rooks getting more playing time, the playoffs are not a option this year. Might as well show off the trade bait all we can.

You make good points, however the problem I have with Woodson is that his evaluation of who should be playing and who shouldn't be playing is not fair across the board. In other words he is not using the same standards.

Should a "veteran" player who has a terrible shooting percentage, turns the ball over at an alarming rate and can't shoot free throws be given huge minutes just because he is a "veteran"? You can't be an effective and fair coach when you slap the hand of a rookie who may miss 1 shot and reward a "veteran" who has missed his last 8 shots and turned the ball over 4 times. It sends the wrong message to your team and especially to your youngsters!!

Also, I agree if a rookie is doing terrible you yank him, but JSmooth has not done terrible when he is on the court. In fact the more he plays the better he gets. You have to let him play through his mistakes just like the "veterans".

Woodson was almost about to take him out and luckily JSmooth did something extraordinary or guess what...... the Atlanta Hawks would have had a 10 game losing streak and it would all be Woodsons fault!!

The Buck stops at Woodson!!

Emeans I feel you on this issue. Woodson needs to drop the double standard and be consistent in regards to playing time. My position is the combination of players that give you the best production, offensively and defensively should be on the floor, peroid. Right now that seems to be our rookies. Tenure because someone is a vet means little to me; especially when they are turnover prone and lose games down the stretch. I like what I saw last night from Smooth. I wonder how many other games he could have had a greater impact on if he was allowed to stay in the game. We keep hearing that the rookies need to "earn" minutes; I am wondering what is Woodson's definition of "earn." Smooth, Chill and Ivey have all "earned" some time with their energy, hustle defense, rebounds, block shots and points; Coach needs to give more time to them.

You are being baised again. Everyone of your posts discredites Walker and talks about how he shouldn't start in lew of Childress, shouldn't play and should be traded.

Josh Smith had one good game and he didn't have a whole good game either he had a few good shots (and I am not discrediting how big those were or his defensive stop) but stop making things up just to have Walker traded.

It isn't fair.

Quote:

Last night rookie player Josh Smith saved rookie coach Woodson from doing something stupid, i.e. taking him out of the game. We saw the same thing earlier this year when RoyAl Ivey's play forced the rookie coach not to make that mistake too in the Houston game. Two instances of our rookie players saving this coach from himself have accounted for 66% of the teams wins this year. Obviously, this doesn't look good for the rookie coach, since when there's no one there to save him from himself, we lose.

Woodson's dilemma is that he obviously can't go with 4 forwards too often like he did last night. Minutes for JoshChill are already rationed, and when RoyAl comes back that will be even more backcourt minutes in demand.

The bottom line is that the rookie coach has refused to cut into Al and AW's minutes in any significant way. Both still manage to play well over 40 minutes per night. Last night's results pretty much forces his hand to give Josh Smith serious minutes. Face it, Woodson's reliance on heavy minutes for Al and AW weren't resulting in wins.

It's clear that Toine must be moved near the trading deadline, to enable our frontcourt minutes to be divided between JoshSmve and Al. Hopefully, BK will get a 1st pick for him.

In the meantime, the rookie coach needs to cut AW's minutes to 35 max and AL down to about 40 in order to get JoshS more court time. He can win games.

The coach also needs to let Childress, and Ivey when he gets back, have some significant time on the court. THey don't need major minutes, but they need to believe they'll be left alone to play. As long as these kids believe that they'll get yanked if they make one small mistake, then they'll never relax and be comfortable enough to get in their groove. This idea at yanking the rook for each and every mistake is a bad one. If we treated our rookie coach that way, he'd be fired already.

If I wasn't trying to write an intelligent and thoughtful post, I'd just call our rookie coach an idiot. Maybe I'll do that next time.

I'm satisfied with Woodson's moves so far this season. He's been testing lineups, rewarding good play with more minutes, etc. He is definitely is riding Walker and Harrington and even Delk which is not getting him wins but allows him to develop the rookies and maybe get up the trade value of the vets (he also now knows the vets cant complain as mins are cut, they can be reminded they werent winning). Their minutes will go down. Barry is nice to have off the bench but as others play better, he can be moved to the end of the bench, even often past Donta, but still trusted to be ready when needed.

I see Delk and Diaw starting temporarily at the guards soon and then as Ivey gets back in the swing he'll start with Diaw. Delk will be the first guard off the bench. The Joshes will get 15-20 mins per game, varying based on recent performance. Some spot starts here and there for Chill but not J-Smoove until next year, even is Walker is moved. Anderson and McCoy will be cut/IR'd soon with Donta coming off. We win 20 or so games this year, finishing solidly but playing poor again for a while after Walker is traded (assuming we dont pick up a forward in the trade).

Who do the Hawks keep, not just for a few weeks, but,

hopefully, for a long time?

Diaw, our second year player and our four rookies that

we drafted this year. That's only five. Hawks aren't

likely to let them go.

What about the rest of the team? We know that there are

moves to be make from time to time. Right now the

remainder of the players are playing themselves onto

the roster of the future or they are playing their way

off the roster.

Ths just might be the reason. Some have looked pretty

decent and some haven't done so well.

Rookies have to learn, both players and head coaches.

Right now, Hawks are on a trial run with the ship.

Everything isn't working as well as it should. We

know that. We're still trying to get the pieces to

fit together. It isn't happening as fast as we would

like. Sometimes, we stink - - Then, we win one!

How sweet victory is after all those losses. Let's

do it again!!

Who do we keep? Who goes? Interesting to think about,

isn't it. What do we need that we don't have? Where

do we get what we need? What will it cost us?

Don't give up on our youth, neither the players or the

coach. Don't settle for a quick fix. Remember, the

Hawks are building for the future years, not for those

few extra wins this season.

cool.gif

Go Hawks !!!

Quote:

Seems to me like Ivey Childress and Smith are coming along at a nice pace. Don't worry about their minutes so much, worry about their progress. It's not like they're progressing without Woodson's help and he's just holding them back by not giving minutes. I'm sure he's working them hard in practice and conveying how they need to be as perfect as possible to earn each minute of PT

Go Woody!

He really hasn't done anything the last 5 games or so..

7-20FG

3.4PPG

3.4RPG

.6APG

18MPG

That isn't alot of minutes... But there really hasn't

been much progression the last several games. His offensive

game plan looks weak and the game plan looks terrible

most games. He really doesn't seem like a good head

coach and despite everybodies love for low scoring games

with pathetic offenses he will NOT be sucessful with

a team that looks so poor on offense.

Quote:

he will NOT be sucessful with

a team that looks so poor on offense.

Did you watch detroit last year? Not exactly offensive juggernauts. Rip Hamilton and Chucky atkins have moves and Sheed shows occasionnal flashes of his brilliant self, but more often than not, it was their D that got it done. Having said that, it's still obvious that we are missing a playmaking point guard, and that is our downfall right now. We either need to get one to get our offense going, or get a good center to anchor our defense right now. Not having either is hurting us. Anyhow, given the complete team overhaul I am not judging Woodson until the second half of the season.

Quote:

Did you watch detroit last year? Not exactly offensive juggernauts. Rip Hamilton and Chucky atkins have moves and Sheed shows occasionnal flashes of his brilliant self, but more often than not, it was their D that got it done. Having said that, it's still obvious that we are missing a playmaking point guard, and that is our downfall right now. We either need to get one to get our offense going, or get a good center to anchor our defense right now. Not having either is hurting us. Anyhow, given the complete team overhaul I am not judging Woodson until the second half of the season.

Detroits offense isnt as bad as this one. It's laughable

that you even attempt to defend this. It's worse than it

was last year. Also, they were an exception. They aren't

the rule. You can argue the Spurs but they have a top 3

player in the league.

Quote:

it's still obvious that we are missing a playmaking point guard, and that is our downfall right now.

LOL that's the Hawks downfall? What about the free throw

shooting(very hurtful) the lack of rebounders, depth, tough

ness, bottom in the league in shot blocking. However, you

aren't going to win much when give the ball to Walker or

Harrington is just about all your offensive gameplan. It

makes it tough for anybody else to be consistant when

you go to two guys all the time in the same old repetitive

plays.