• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will everyone leave Childress alone

hotboyj

All of these formulas and statistics and history of the 6th pick and other crap is just stupid and nonsense. The only difference between childress and smoove, is that Smoove is 6'9" and has maybe 6 inches at the most on his vertical. And not to forget that he starts. Let's not forget that childress led the pac-10 in rebounds, and was pac-10 player of the year above iggy and luke jackson. Obviously there are people that agree with us. Oh yeah did I mention he lead his team in blocks. Childress on many occasions has ran the fast break and unlike Smoove he didn't dribble it on his foot, and unlike walker he doesn't shoot it as soon as he gets near half court. All I know is Childress could be a superstar, the same as Smith. If you all would get your head out of you a$$ you might just see that.

I like the way he plays, but I don't see superstar in his future. I challenge you to find a 'superstar' (and I'll allow you to use the term loosely) who averaged less than 8 ppg as a rookie over the age of 20. That in itself doesn't mean he won't be a superstar; it just means the odds are against him. I'm not dogging him. I just think I'm being realistic about his ceiling. Reality is, superstars are generally very good in their first year, or at least show streaks of it especially when they're at least 20 years old.

I see a solid player who has some moves to get to the basket, and I think he will be a good complementary player in the right offense. If you get a starter with the 6th pick, that's OK. It's not great, because it is very possible to get a superstar there, but it's not likely. Many of the guys drafted below 5 are flops, so Childress is OK.

A player whom you might use as a counter-example is Richard Jefferson. Granted, he's not really superstar (yet), but we're using the term very loosely. He's an All-Star level player who averaged 9.4 ppg in his rookie season at 21 years old in 24 mpg. He got a ton better and developed a MUCH better outside shot, but he put up some impressive games in his rookie year. I'd like to see a few more 19 and 9 games out of Childress before I start giving him a shot at reaching Jefferson's ability level.

Quote:

All of these formulas and statistics and history of the 6th pick and other crap is just stupid and nonsense. The only difference between childress and smoove, is that Smoove is 6'9" and has maybe 6 inches at the most on his vertical. And not to forget that he starts. Let's not forget that childress led the pac-10 in rebounds, and was pac-10 player of the year above iggy and luke jackson. Obviously there are people that agree with us. Oh yeah did I mention he lead his team in blocks. Childress on many occasions has ran the fast break and unlike Smoove he didn't dribble it on his foot, and
unlike walker he doesn't shoot it as soon as he gets near half court.
All I know is Childress could be a superstar, the same as Smith. If you all would get your head out of you a$$ you might just see that.

Hey man....No need to get hostile. frown.gif

And since when does Walker shoot it from Near half-court?

It was just an exxageration. I was referring to the many times Walker would get a rebound and drive all the way down the court. With both Harrington and Smoove on his side, instead of passing he throws up that one handed runner which he usually misses, and then goes and yells at the referee for not giving him a foul. If you watch their games even occasionally, you know exactly what I'm talking about. I am not against Walker in any way, I am one of the few people in this forum that realize we can't go and trade everyone off as soon as we lose. We have to show determination. If the Clippers would, it wouldn't have took them so many top 5 picks to finally reach mediocrity. We have a good base, but just like Childress we need to beef it up a little so that it may become even stronger.

Thank you CBA. I knew you and I could agree on something. What you stated is exactly how I feel and I try to express on this board. When you do state this you get bashed as a guy that hates Childress.

Bottom line has got a lot to prove before you hand him star status like most do on this board.

P

• Premium Member

Knight will move people out of Chill's way. Then you will see what he's got. You can't call the guy a superstar now and you can't say he's a bust. Childress has simply not had the opportunity to show himself.

He is playing off the bench, in the shadow of two dominant players, with a very short leash. His personality is further working against his development because he is the ultimate team player who is going to do whatever he's told to do.

Three things need to happen for Chill to start performing:

First, a trade needs to be made to free up the 2 spot. Second, Chill needs to be slid into the starting 2 spot and BK neeeds to give the order to Woodson to let the kids play. Right now, that's not happening. Lastly, the team needs to start getting up and down the court. If we start pushing the ball, Chill will really show his worth. If these three things happen, I am supremely confident that there will far less skepticism about his game.

What I really look for is for us to draft a PG that can make a difference. That will REALLY make a difference with Chill and everyone else on the team. Regardless, I'm tired of the whole "Chill is a bust/roleplayer" issue. So I'm going to get away from this carousel because it's pointless.

He's shown VERY GOOD promise for those of us who have watched him closely and decent ability for those who really don't. He isn't by any means a crap player or not worth the pick we spent on him. That isn't to say that I think he is or is not going to be better than Deng or Iggy, but I am perfectly content with the pick.

• Premium Member

Over the age of 20...

Ha. Good one.

That's almost impossible now because "superstar potential" do not spend three years in college any more. I don't think you should penalize Chills for staying in school as long as he did... I think he actually was made better for it. But guys like Kobe, KG, Oneal, Rashard Lewis, Tmac, & others that we would now call superstars had ugly first years because of PT... Maybe the potential was there, but if you don't get the PT, age don't matter.

There is to say, that there is no age defined learning curve in basketball.

Just because he's 21 doesn't mean that he's learned all that he's going to learn.

I think what defines the learning curve in basketball is PT...

But to answer your question:

Some guys who are now Superstars who were 20 in their Rookie year and didn't average over 8 ppg...

1. Baron Davis.

2. Stephen Jackson

3. Richard Jefferson

4. Josh Howard

5. Sam Cassell

6. Doug Christie

7. Scottie Pippen

8. Jason Terry

and barely missing the cut was Carlos Boozer.

The point is not many stars go to school or stay in school.

• Premium Member

None, absolutely, NONE of those players are superstars. Baron Davis had the chance to become one, but injuries have sidelined him too often.

Quote:

Thank you CBA. I knew you and I could agree on something. What you stated is exactly how I feel and I try to express on this board. When you do state this you get bashed as a guy that hates Childress.

Bottom line has got a lot to prove before you hand him star status like most do on this board.

Exactly. This is where I'm throwing my hat in.

If some of you think we are "bashing" Childress, go and read what some other teams' fans think of him. Almost everyone of them will tell you he's the "bust of the draft."

Meanwhile, you come on this board and people tell you that comparing him to a poor man's Richard Jefferson is a laughable insult to his potential.

There's a middle ground here and that's why I think the Tayshaun Prince/Doug Christie comparisons are the most likely for Childress to reach. Not a superstar, but not a bust.

I personally like Childress's game and what he brings to the Hawks. All he needs to do now is gain about 25 pounds of muscle in the offseason and have a regiment of about 1000 jump shots a day.

He will be fine in the NBA. He has shown flashes of what he can do and it looks good.

When/if we move AW before the trading deadline you will see more of his talent on the court.

I actually like the lineup of:

Lue/Delk

Chillz

Smooth

Harrington

Drobs

When we finally get to this rotation you always see flashes of brilliance from our rookies. The team plays with much more energy and they don't make a lot of turnovers and the ball is distributed much more evenly in terms of shots.

Chillz is definately a keeper and a good pick. Better than picking Deng?.....only time will tell!!

I have to questioned your superstar moniker on these guys, they are good but not superstars:

Jason Terry

Doug Christie

Josh Howard

Stephen Jackson

Richard Jefferson (on his way, but not yet)

How are these guys superstars, has any made an all star game?

P

Quote:

1. Baron Davis.

2. Stephen Jackson

3. Richard Jefferson

4. Josh Howard

5. Sam Cassell

6. Doug Christie

7. Scottie Pippen

8. Jason Terry

and barely missing the cut was Carlos Boozer.

The point is not many stars go to school or stay in school.

Sorry, that list of "superstars" is laughable. You

want to know who Josh has the chance to be on that

list? Doug Chirstie. That is likely his ceiling right

there.

I'm sure Chilldress wouldn't mind being a solid player in the league for 15 years. I'd love to have a young Doug Christie. I'm still fascinated that you can all forecast the course of the guy's career after half a season, especiually under the circumstances of learning a new position playing on a team with no point gaurd and controlled by a ball hog who's auditioning for his next contract.

• Premium Member

Quote:

None, absolutely, NONE of those players are superstars. Baron Davis had the chance to become one, but injuries have sidelined him too often.

I won't even bring up Baron Davis because it's silly.

However, what about Scottie Pippen.

You know... 50 all time greatest players Scottie Pippen? You never several time allstar Scottie Pippen? You know creator of the POINT FORWARD Position Scottie Pippen? You know DREAM TEAMER Scottie Pippen? Or better yet... 22/9/6 in the beginning of the Bulls dynasty.

• Premium Member

That's my point...

IF you put an age limitation on a list such as this, you're dealing with Guys who had to go to college 3 yrs or more. That's not the trend in these days. The trend in these days is to come out early if you have any NBA Ability. As early as HS...

And these guys who are coming out early are being picked by teams because teams look at a guy like KG who started out as a 10 ppg player and "Flourished" or a guy like Rashard Lewis who started out as a 2.4 ppg rookie and is now on the verge of being an allstar.

So the list was just that... A list of guys who went to college and played more than 2 years....

Not much talent around the league who did that...

Maybe Tim Duncan is the poster boy for staying in school, but there are several who are the poster boys for leaving early. Because there is no reward for perfecting your game in college.

Still.. I don't think you should use the fact that Chills stayed in college 3 yrs against him.... If this was 15 years ago, Chills would be consider a damn good player. But because of the Lebron James' and Mello Anthony's who came out and can step on the floor, now we start to believe that every Rookie is supposed to be like them...

That is what is Laughable.

You guys are all parking up the wrong tree. Childress – like many of his lottery brethren – will probably not be a superstar. It would be great if he did but I think the more plausible and realistic option is that he turns into an excellent all around player. Probably not a number one option but a solid support guy. There are lots of examples of these types of players who entered the league at age 20 or older and had less then fantastic rookie years. All of the guys listed below averaged less then or right around 10 points per game as rookies and have gone on to become solid contributors to superstars:

Dirk Nowitzki

Reggie Miller

Rasheed Wallace

Michael Redd

Sam Cassell

Joe Johnson

Quentin Richardson

Larry Hughes

Of the above, you can honestly say that Nowitzki and Miller went on to super star status. The rest are all good players who could play for and start on any team in the league.

how can you say he hasn't shown potential? Do you even watch the games? And no he's not going to be a kobe bryant caliber player, but who is? Maybe you should lower your standsrds, if you think picking in the lottery gurantees a superstar every year.