• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who is Shaq's most talented sidekick?

cyman3

because Flash IMO will turn out to be a far better player than Kobe. He may never be more talented (which is debatable), but I believe that he will be a better player. I hate that he got hurt because that is the biggest reason why Detroit is moving on. Also, lets not forget how good Wade was last year as a rookie without Shaq when debating this issue. I am not saying Wade is the next Jordan or anything like that, but man he sure has this air about him on the court where it seems like the game slows down for him just like Jordan used to have.

• Premium Member

You guys don't know how good Penny was?

Penny was very good against better competition. He was a PG, a 3 pt shooter, and a slasher before he got hurt. If you're asking about talent... Penny was it. Kobe was a scorer who couldn't make his teammate better.

Penny was a player who made everybody better.

In fact... When Shaq left the Lakers where did the Lakers go?

When Shaq left the Magic, where did the Magic go?

• Premium Member

Penny was outstanding before he got injured and faded into obscurity. It's easy to forgt that now, but he was the real deal back then. He even got the nod from one of the greatest at PG - Magic; and this was before Orlando even drafted him. Magic said to take that kid over Webber who, if any remember, was THE consensus top pick. Shaq even offered to take a paycut if Orlando drafted him (lol remember those days of ridiculous roookie contracts?).

Penny in his early days was flat out awesome. He could hit from outside, he could penetrate, he could jump. But what set him apart was his playmaking. He was awesome.

Each of these guys brings something different...

Penny was a VERY good scorer, with awesome all around game, but was the better playmaker by a country mile.

Wade is simply the truth offensively. And it's so early in his career that it's scary. Doesn't have the outside game of Penny or Kobe, but is unstoppable going to the basket.

Kobe was the best Shaq compliment though. No question. I think the problem is people are focusing too much on where LA is now and all the drama surrounding KB. However, Kobe is a champion and has amazing game on both ends of the floor, everywhere on the floor. However, what sets him above Penny and Wade is one thing - Kobe is clutch.

• Premium Member

Well, I don't consider any of these guys as "great" but certainly all very good. I know the point was who was Shaq's best compliment, and we both agree that it's Kobe.

But you commented that they were building up Penny to something that he wasn't. Considering the player he used to be, I don't think there's anything to over-inflate about him. I'd take THAT Penny Hardaway over any point guard in the league right now. As a matter of fact, I think Kobe is a better scorer and more clutch...but I would probably take the Penny of old over Kobe being the scorer AND playmaker that he was.

• Premium Member

I like Wade..

However, let's remember Penny before the injuries... He was the man...

Kobe will always go down as the better scorer, but Penny made everybody else better. In his injury free years, he was like 20/7/4...

The other thing is that he modernized the position. Because of Penny, everybody wanted a 6'9 PG.

wade is not better than Kobe, many people dont like Kobe for whatever reason, and Wade may be a better teammate, but if i had to choose between the two I would pick Kobe, right now, Wade may end up being better, but he is not better right now.....

...i'm glad people agree with me about Penny, i wish he didnt have all those injuries.

As much as I'd hate to say this, I'd have to defend Kobe in this case. Wade could be the better teammate, but with Kobe and Shaq, they got the rings. That's all that really matters. I think at best, Wade could match Kobe. And I'm probably sure he's not a cancer it may seem he is. Put the Lakers in the East, they'd be in the playoffs, and Kobe wouldn't look like such a bad guy.

I'm not a Kobe lover or anything. I love Wade's game and I'd love to have Wade on my team, but hey man, Kobe wins.

• Admin

Everyone dogs kobe and wants to put him in Shaqs shadow. What the hell has Wade done without Shaq? Playing alongside Shaq gave Wade the confidence to be who he is today. Without him, for a full season, he could just as easily go back to being a 19/6 guy, instead of a 24/7 guy. I'm not dogging wade. i think he's an excellent player. But he should be subjected to the same burden of proof, that he can do anything without Shaq, that Kobe was.

Kobe on the other hand has proven that he can lead a team. Were it not for injuries and coaching shakeups, they would have made the playoffs and it would have been Kobe who was responsible for making it happen. He lead the league in scoring for a large part of the season and his APG were up near 7 per game. 27/6/6 is a disgusting season statline. His FG% was suspect in the first half of the season. But by season end he has raised that to almost 44%. Considering that he was sub 40% for a long while, that's pretty impressive.