• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

K. Willis signs with Spurs. What now?

DJ_Money

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/Spurs_Sign_K...s-52043-70.html

Hmmm...I still think we need another guy in the frontcourt. Theo and Hendu are just too injury-prone. We lost Haslem to Poland, and now Willis to SA.

I wonder what Babcock will do now. Will he look for another vet big man for the minimum? Oakley?

Or will my fear come true...Babcock panics, and gives Ira a CC-like contract. I still want Ira back, but not for the money he's asking. As we get closer to camp, I think he'll come down.

Ok, so who is left out there that we should take a look at? What happened to Christofferson, the 7-footer from Oregon who was supposed to be on our summer league team, but was knocked out by an ankle injury.

I would guess that Pete isn't sweating too much about the 12th man on the roster, but the time is soon to cut Ira away and go with another player.

There are still many players left out there, even in the front court, and we have all of our exceptions left, though I wouldn't expect we would spend much more than 1-2 million to fill this last slot.

According to EMuss, Christofferson wasn't going to fit in with the Hawks due to his lack of speed. He was apparantly very big, but very slow, and would bog down in transition on both ends.

• Premium Member

I really hate that we didn't take Willis when we had the chance. He's a 7'0er with Skills. We don't have that on our current roster. We could have certainly used it. Honestly, Theo is a mere Pf weightwise. We needed a Big Man to back him up.

As far as Ira. I really don't care if we take him now. I mean, SF will be played by BIG dog. The minutes leftover should be played by CC. I wouldn't bring up Ira's name again unless we somehow trade away CC.

Our specific need is in a Frontcourt player with some Size and Toughness. Oakley would be marvelous, but why would he want to play here? There's Orlando, LAL, NY, etc. Plus, I would rather have BULK. Unfortunately the only player out there that I can think of is PAT EWING! Think we can find 18 mpg for Pat?

I agree about Kevin.....The main thing, other than the obvious size, is that he WANTED to be here and could have brought some missing ingredients (success and experience) to a team that has little.

The thing about Ira that worries me is Kruger's intention to throw Ira in the SG battle with DerMarr and Dion. As if those two needed more competition.

I can see Lon falling back on Ira's hustle and starting him over both guys.

• Premium Member

Now is the time to let Dion and Dj flourish at SG. Both guys bring something a little different. Dion's game is similar to JR Rider's in that he's explosive and Strong. I don't think that there's another SG that is as Strong as Dion and we can build on that on the baseline and in the post. DJ has a silky Shot, Overall ability to play the game AND Great defense. Even though it was summer league, hearing that DJ was able to SHUT Down Kendrick Brown is good. Brown is definitely a Sandlot legend who specializes in offense. For DJ to shut him down at his own game speaks volumes about how much better a defender DJ has become. With him on the floor, we are definitely in the MOLD of Sac-Town when they play:

Bibby, Christie, Peja, Webber, and Clark.

That would be an interesting matchup?

Bibby -_________ JT

Christie_________DJ

Peja____________Big Dog

Webber_________SAR

Clark___________Theo

Willis could have been our Vlade!

Yes I wouldnt mind seeing Shawn Kemp in Atlanta, BUT what we need is a physical specimen that is 6'11 + and Kemp isnt that type of player. I saw Diesel mention Pat Ewing, and it would be nice getting about 10-15 mpg from Ewing, he can still score and rebound and he can still do some intimidation inside. Another guy that will be intriguing is Chris Dudley, he cant shoot free throws, but he can bang real good and run the floor very well, I still remember that series with the Knicks when we got swept, he was awesome. Another guy is Popeye Jones, he is a banger and a very hard worker and how about Greg Foster and Dean Garrett. All these 4 guys will come to us very cheap and I'm sure when they have a good look on our team they will be very intrigued to play here. Opinions?

Hell if Newble doesn't workout we might could put

a small package together for George Lynch.He wants

the Hornets to trade him and I wonder what it would

take to get him?

What is the story here? Kevin wanted to end his career here with us, we had a slot that was perfect for him and "suddenly" he signs with the spurs. I am ill that we let him go, that decision we will surly regret if our players do not stay healthy.....

So who do we turn to now? I still think we need to treat Kemp like the west nile virus- stay away.

• Admin

KW is a tough mofo. He's one of those guys that isn't going to let the other team push his guys around. He's old as the hills but he's still got the skills. I think he would have fit perfectly here and would have been some GREAT insurance in case Theo can't handle the grind.

Another missed opportunity.

IMO hes only going to play 1 more year for a CHAMPIONSHIP CALIBER team..

he could ride the bench in LA and get a ring like MITCH RICHMOND, or he could create some noise in ATL.

I wouldnt mind having him here, Mohammed + Ratliff could really learn a lot from him.

Guest Walter

...so if Ira resigns reasonably then there is no need to second guess not signing K-Will.

We need perimeter defense and a team defense spark plug like Newble. Say what you want about DG and DJ but it's Ira that made this team into a respectable defensive team the second half of the season. Just like Theo makes everyone on defense better according to JT just when he steps onto the court, so does Ira. With our three scorers we need that badly.

W

We have apretty decent bench right now without Haslem/Ira/Hanno/ Willis. CC has to play he gets paid to much not to same with Hendu. Udonnis would have been a good fit so would Mottola but it is not necessary we are fairly deep we can sign any player off the street. But I am sure a Euro player will come along.

• Premium Member

The money that we are shelling out to Crawford makes him our BU SF (Period). He plays well. Until we can trade CC, we need to hush the Ira talk. Also, Ira would be too tempting to Kruger to play at SG. He's CBA talent. However, if you look at the frontcourt. We have 6'8 1/2, 6'9", and 2 guys 6'10. Nobody close to 250. We need some size in the frontcourt. Need I remind you all that Shaq weighs about 317. Deke 262. Tmac 280. In other words, we need some size. Willis would have been perfect.

Guest Walter

In reply to:

"The money that we are shelling out to Crawford makes him our BU SF (Period)."

What are you talking about? First, Newble plays both the 2 and 3 (and Crawford can play some 4). Second, Crawford is injured with his second injury on the same knee in a year. Thirdly, what Ira brings this team lacks in terms of (perimeter) defense.

In reply to:

"Also, Ira would be too tempting to Kruger to play at SG. He's CBA talent."

We are no longer a team playing lottery ball. Play the better player. By now if DJ can't beat out an until then CBAer then he shouldn't be starting.

I guess when you entirely change the team's defensive intensity as a perimeter defender just by being on the court that doesn't mean much in Diesel's world. Also, everyone of the team's players thinks it's imperative that Newble is resigned per I believe Jaywalker's report. The entire team's wants mean nothing to you Diesel?

I'm playing as much to beat SAC as LA, but honestly, short arm Willis couldn't play O'Neal better than Theo. Willis is 41 years old, NOW. I mean, come on. Deke defends himself. Todd MacCullough?????????????????????????? Why is defending him a problem? I like Willis and if Ira doesn't resign I'd like to have him, but give me a team leading defensive force on the perimeter that is efficient offensively so he can put up numbers without having to take the ball from our big three any day. Ira complements Big Dawg well. Cut, slash, put back, perimeter defensive road block, team defensive spark plug. WE need him.

W

When MJ said that Crawford was one of the toughest one on one defenders he has gone against was he lying or was he just out of his mind? While I think Crawford is vastly overpaid for his production with us, he is still a guy who will give 110% effort on both ends of the court.....when he is healthy. If Crawford could keep himself healthy we would be getting a steal with him at his current salary.

I dont get why you and Walter Defend CC he is a pud, but you guys say he is soo tough and such a great defender and penetrator. I just dont see it, other than that game against NY in the playoffs 4 years ago he has been a waste of height. And I thought you only get to see a couple of games a year, where are you seeing these CC highlights.