• Current Donation Goals

• Raised 390.00 USD of 700.00 USD target

We got outcoached again!!

Wurider05

• Premium Member

Yeah, I noticed that Al was tight on Gooden like white on rice on a paperplate in a snowstorm. He was basically bodying Gooden out of position most of the time. Ivey was playing good defense. Can't we get that guy more playing time?? I put some blame on Woody's defensive scheme. If you double Lebron way out on the wing, you give him the chance to make the easy pass to Eric Snow cutting down the lane.

When we were in foul trouble, Lebron knew that all he needed to do was go strong to the hoop... That did us in. Because the refs were giving up touch fouls like lolly pops. I mean, Jsmoove was guarding Marshall and he barely touched him and they put Marshall on the line. Dayum. We can't win if they get 50 FTs...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Salim Stoudamire does not make us better. He plays no defense. All he does is shoot. He's a Big Dog in a PG's body playing Sg. I hate that we have become so reliant on him on the court. I would rather see Ivey more.

Agreed. Salim has a good shooting night and all of a sudden everyone wants to play him 30 minutes a game, completely ignoring the rest of the games when teams go on a run as soon as he comes in.

His play in the 2nd quarter kept us in the game after Zaza and Edwards were in foul trouble. Batman guarded Big Z better than Edwards or Zaza. Smitty was very complimentary about Batman's play. He deserves more minutes. I also agree about Ivey. Ivey was making plays almost the entire time he was out there. I don't understand the compliments about Marvin. I was not impressed with his play and how easily he got shook up with the physical play in the paint (e.g. remember those two horrible free throws attempts after being hit in the paint?) I though Smoove played a far superior game and was the only player to at least slow down Lebron (he takeaway at halfcourt was a beauty). At least Smoove played with no fear. During crucial moments in the fourth when Lebron was going off of course Smoove was kept on the pine. Woodson has no intuitive feel for the game whatsoever.

When Salim is hot, he seems like a future star. I'll never forget the NOK game where he scored about 24 points in the fourth quarter.

Still, his turnovers, suprisingly streaky shooting, defense, and lack of ball distribution has hurt us many times.

I believe in him as a player though.

If he plays Marvin more, then everyone is going to be bitching about why Josh Smith wasn't playing more. If he plays Ivey more, then most will be bitching because Salim isn't getting any playing time.

It always amazes me at how fans think they know more than the head coach.

BTW, this team wasn't outcoached in that game. I think a free throw differential of 30 free throws had a lot to say about the outcome of this game. Everytime Lebron touched the ball, the refs had a quick whistle.

• Moderators

I totally agree. If we are going to be a 'defensive' team then play the guys who play good D. What does Ivey have to do to get more minutes? Salim just doesn't pass and sometimes his shot is off. He can be useful for quick scoring but that should be 2 or 3rd quarter stuff. Not crunch time.

Edwards and Batman both played well. It really makes you wonder why they can't even get off the bench in most games.

I like Marvin but I'd much rather have Smoove out there. Everyone talks about Marvin's 'perfect' jumper, but he still clanks and airballs a fair amount. His fg% isn't really better than Smoove's and he was 1-3 last night.

• Premium Member

Being in foul trouble in the NBA playing against Lebron is a loss everytime. He already knows how to drive. He just turned around and fouled out Lue after that possession. I give Al Credit for getting to the foul line... Sheez, we put up some bad shots in the fourth. I mean, Chillz, Salim, and JJ all had the clanks. Al drove to the basket 2 maybe three times and got fouled... I was happy that somebody scored and stopped the clock. I would have liked to seen us rotate the ball more in the fourth, but we were having a hard enough time getting the ball past "dat Man" D. Jones and Lebron... How many steals did they get in the fourth? Ten? We need a real PG.

• Premium Member

I don't doubt that we could have won... But the fact of the matter is that Cleveland overcame a 9 point deficiet and beat us by 9. They hit 38 free throws to our 16. Those are the easy points and they got 22 more than we did. We shot 50.7% from the field. Do you know how hard that is to do?

Last night, Detroit beat Milwaukee.. Milwaukee is not a strong defensive team.. Detroit shot 47.6%.

You are asking for a heroic effort to try to score at higher than that Clipp.. Especially with the other team getting 22 more free throws made than you..

Whenever the game is called tight the Hawks will get screwed. A young losing team won't get the benefit of the calls and their inexperience will cause them to commit fouls that vets know how to avoid.

The Hawks played very well for most of the game but they would have had to play flawlessly the whole game to overcome the ft differential.

• Premium Member

The NBA that is.

Aside from Lue and Hackmaster M. with some dumb fouls.. Most of the fouls were touch fouls when Lebron dropped his head and shoulders and played the part of offensive lineman. Zaza can't stop him. Smoove can't stop him. Al can't stop him. He just goes to the shoulder drop. He's so strong that he can drop the shoulder and still score.

For a moment there, I was wishing that Woody had been reading Hawksquawk earlier and told Edwards/Batman to go in the game and ENFORCE like Mahorn used to do.

I think it's all Stern's fault. He has put a hedge around these star players and they know it and they take advantage of it. If somebody hacked Lebron like the Pistons used to hack people, they'd be suspended for some number of games... However, I think that to prevent james going to the line 20 times, you have to put some fear in him. Do you realize that James took 2 less freethrows than our hole team?? That's ridiculous.