Revising the Hawks Options List

KB21

• Premium Member

between Ivey and Rondo. I watched Rondo in the SEC all season and live once and he is an unbelieveable defensive player and is cat quick. He does have shooting problems but so did Doc Rivers and Mookie Blaylock when they came out of college. Rondo can certainly penetrate the lane.

The players I like at our spot are:

1. Sheldon Williams

2. O'Bryant

3. Rondo

4. Foye

5. Brewer

this is from a needs standpoint and not a skills list.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would Rondo be willing to challege Randy Foye in a workout for the Hawks? He called a Marcus Williams(who is out of shape) but what about Foye? Would Rondo get manhandled in the matchup?

My money would be on Foye for sure. I don't think Rondo is quick enough to get past Foye consistently, especially since Foye wouldn't have to honor his shot.

I think Foye would be able to score on Rondo fairly easily due to his strength advantage.

• Moderators

I have two thoughts on Rondo's play in Tubby's system. First, it definitely hampered his play his sophmore year but not really his freshman year. Second, his inability to function within that system is a problem for me because he absolutely had problems running a half-court offense for UK. Part of that was the system, part was the team but a large part was Rondo's immaturity as a PG. I think he has a little ways to go before he is going to be ready as a starting PG in the NBA. Again, I do think the guy has special talent, though, and would like to see him on the Hawks if we could trade down for him and some other valuable consideration.

Why all the love for Rondo? I was getting swayed by all the great words, but then pulled the stats for Kentucky. His ball handling stats (assists, TO, steals) all look good. But Rondo was the worst 3-pt shooter on the team (27%) and only shot 57% at the free throw line. That's OK if you are Shaq but for a point guard it is a real weakness. It's been like that for both years.

• Moderators

Quote:

It's those huge hands. They're great on defense, but they make him a liability when shooting.

Yep. That is the case. Great for D, great handling the ball on O but they really hurt his shooting. He'll never be a great perimeter shooter, IMO. He certainly could improve from where he is, though. He never found a shooting form he was comfortable with in Lexington (at least from the perimeter). He does get to the rim pretty well on O, though. That is why he shoots such a high fg% and I think even led the national team in fg% last summer.

Quote:

It's those huge hands. They're great on defense, but they make him a liability when shooting.

I would be surprised if Rondo ever becomes a good NBA shooter.

I just don't see how we can take a PG at 5 who cannot shoot a free throw. They will be playing hack a rondo at the end of our close games; or we could just pull our starting PG until the last 2 minutes so it would not effect us so badly.

Rondo at 5, lets just say no to the ESPN hype machine...

Quote:

Quote:

I would be surprised if Rondo ever becomes a good NBA shooter.

I just don't see how we can take a PG at 5 who cannot shoot a free throw. They will be playing hack a rondo at the end of our close games; or we could just pull our starting PG until the last 2 minutes so it would not effect us so badly.

Rondo at 5, lets just say no to the ESPN hype machine...

Not worth the 5th pick but better option than Marcus Williams.

More athletic, just as good a playmaker, and definitely better defensively.

Quote:

...I just don't see how we can take a PG at 5 who cannot shoot a free throw. They will be playing hack a rondo at the end of our close games; or we could just pull our starting PG until the last 2 minutes so it would not effect us so badly...

Yeah, this guy has potential, but he needs to prove himself first - no way is that kind of a shooter good for us. Defenses would just lay off him and dare him to shoot - knowing that if he did make it to the rim they could just foul him...and your PG HAS to be a quality free throw shooter.

I remember when DJ went through a shooting slump for the Celtics one year (or so)...it really slowed their offense - with the opposing PG hanging back towards the paint ready to help on somebody else. It was kind of embarrassing for him too I would imagine.

The N.O. blog posted a trade their 12 and 15th for our 5th. They were pretty much in favor of it, which I think would be great. I see that as an ideal plan for us, but it looks like a better trade for us than them. Throwing in our second round might sweeten the pot. With those two picks we could bet viable pg and big players.

A couple of the mocks have those picks getting Simmons and Brewer, or OBryant and Rondo. That would be very sweet.

In the end, I don't believe it will work out that way. More than likely, the players that will go in that area are guys like Shannon Brown, JJ Redick, Saer Sene, Hilton Armstrong, and maybe Kyle Lowry.

That doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is whether or not they will make us a championship quality team three to four years from now. If the Hawks go into this draft thinking that they have to get a guy that makes them better now, then they are going to make the wrong decision in the long run. Don't mortage the future simply because you have a need for instant gratification.

Does anyone remember how bad JSmoove's shot was his 1st year and much he improved this season? Who's to say Rondo won't be able to do the same thing. I am not sure I am ready to annoint him the 5th pick yet but I do belive he would be a nicew addition to the club. I just hope we could trade down and get him while picking up another pick as well.