• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

More Iverson talk....(continued)

y2kenta

I would agree with everyone who hopes we make this move and get Iverson. I just really really hope that we can keep Smoove, because of superb athleticism, versatility, ability to block shots among the best, and his continued growth offensively. I can't see that I would want to part with Chillz or Marvin either, but a starting lineup with JJ/ A.I./ Smoove is very versatile, high scoring, exciting, and "collectively" a very solid defense.

I hope PHI will take a S&T with Al involved instead of one of our young SFs. I vote that we give them AL (S&T) + Lue + #5 for A.I. + #13.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why anyone would want this move is beyond me. It simply makes no sense from the Hawks standpoint. The only reason some want this move is because Allen Iverson is a big name. He simply doesn't fit with this team. By acquiring him, you take the ball out of Joe Johnson's hands, and you bring in a bad influence for the younger players on this team.

Bernie Mullin made it pretty clear the other day that Billy Knight has already convinced the owners to stick with the five year plan and not make a move for Iverson, because they would have to completely retool this team to fit it around him. Unfortunately, the Hawks have some fans that would rather listen to ESPN and the tabloids than believe what comes out of the Team President's mouth.

I keep going back and forth on this.

In the past I've always been against it. Then a couple of weeks ago, I think about the prospect of a AI-JJ team and I see the playoffs next year, more asses in the seats, and I think what the hell, that's what capspace is for, and I was all for the trade, for about a week.

Now I feel like I've come back down off the high of temptation, and my rational side has taken over again, and I'm against it again for the same reasons as before. If we're going to patiently rebuild, let's do it right. Let's let our young players mature, let's see how they evolve, and let's sign free agents / trade players for better fits once we have a better idea of who fits where. Signing AI would be looking for the quick fix. Quick fixes rarely work. If AI goes downhill fast all of the sudden, we'd be 100% screwed. He's held up better than I ever expected, but maybe that also means that he's due to slow down soon. Do we really want to owe this guy 22 million in 08/09?

Let's not pull a babcock, let's wait this one out and have some faith in our youth. We need a veteran presence for sure, but I don't think we need AI

• Premium Member

Problem i have with this deal is that sometimes when you have a player of AI people tend to stand around and watch him play. I remember from a long time ago the Hawks would just stand around and watch Nique. I just don't think he would be a positive on this team. Think of why Philly is thinking of getting rid of him, they've tried everything and it just hasn't worked with AI. I think they've been in the finals once.

We need a tough defensive rebounding center in the middle and I think those are few and far between in todays NBA.

Oh if we still had a young health Tree Rollins and Dan Roundfield!

Its very tempting to trade for AI..If we had a different coach I might be very for the trade..With a D'Antoni type coach can you imagine us running wild with AI, JJ, Marvin, and Smoove?..Forget defense and just run like the suns..Its tempting..

Quote:

Problem i have with this deal is that sometimes when you have a player of AI people tend to stand around and watch him play.

I agree. AI is pretty bad at that, because he dominates the ball so much. Some players make their teammates better, but AI just makes his teammates spectators. I think it would be good for a player like Smooth, who doesn't need plays drawn up for him, and scores off of garbage points and in transition, but I think it would really slow down JJ's and Marvin's development.

• Premium Member

Problem #1.

Quote:

He simply doesn't fit with this team.

How can he not fit. He's a defensive OG who can score. He would be a damn near perfect tandem with JJ.

2ndly, Ownership has to want him bad because he's the most marketable player in the game. He would easily make us one of the biggest draws in sports. Imagine... AI, JSmoove, JJ... I would reckon that this would be like the Braves getting TP..

Lastly, he's a scorer who could take the pressure off of our younguns to produce. Iverson scored 30+ ppg last season. Put that with what we have here in JJ scoring 20+ ppg and we have something good offensively.

Quote:

He simply doesn't fit with this team. By acquiring him, you take the ball out of Joe Johnson's hands

Actually, the ball was never in JJ's hand to begin with. JJ is a good ball handler, but he's not a PG. So, I don't see that big a problem putting the ball in Iverson's hands. Moreover, Iverson makes JJ a better 2 guard.

Quote:

you bring in a bad influence for the younger players on this team

You mean a guy who's going to leave it all on the court. A guy who's going to play hard even if he's injured. A guy who hates losing.. That's a bad influence? Name one player who Iverson has influenced down the wrong path?

Quote:

Unfortunately, the Hawks have some fans that would rather listen to ESPN and the tabloids than believe what comes out of the Team President's mouth.

Actually, the Hawks has some fans with some common sense. When you are one of the worse draws in sports and are given the opportunity to get one of the most marketable players in sports, you jump on it.

Moreover..

BK's 5 yr plan. What has BK ever engineered? What is his track record? Why should we trust BK for 5 years when his track record haven't shown that he's a guy that can get it done? Why turn down common sense for EGO? That's what you're saying. We should follow the EGO and eliminate common sense altogether.

That's stupid.

Yeah. It makes sense. Iverson makes Joe Johnson a better shooting guard by taking the ball out of his hands and minimizing Joe's tremendous playmaking skills. It basically turns Joe Johnson into nothing more than a spot up jump shooter. I can see how that makes him an overall better player. You basically don't let him use all the talent he has.

I can also see how this makes the young guys better when they will be forced to stand around and watch Iverson chuck up 30 shots a game.

• Premium Member

I don't think that Iverson has only played with one player with the ball handling/Scoring skills of JJ and that was Toni Kukoc.

They would play Snow, Iverson, Kukoc, Hill, and Theo and would beat the hell out of people. Kukoc was not the athlete that JJ is. Just imagine when we take the floor with:

Iverson, JJ, Smoove, and Dally...

• Premium Member

Haha.

Iverson got 7.4 apg last season with what I consider a less talented offensive team than we would have. I imagine that JJ would still be as effective as he is now. JJ is not a PG. He's a Ball handling 2 gaurd like Penny. This is why I think his perfect backcourt mate will be an offgaurd who can break down defenses and score when need be.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think what the hell, that's what capspace is for,

If you think that there's a better way to rebuild a team than by the acquisition of a star player then you have fooled yourself. No starless band of young players have ever won anything.. and if you think waiting until they have matured (all the while still losing) is the answer, again, you're fooled.

We can still develop our players in a playoff atmosphere.. with AI on the team. His contract is up in 3 yrs. Right in time to renew our younguns... and to look to acquire somebody else.

However, if we keep this ship together and hope that somehow we will win our way out, with no stars, we might as well get the Clipper playbook of 1992... Because we won't win nothing for the next 14 years.

Wrong again.

Joe's perfect back court mate is a player that doesn't have the need to dominate the basketball, thusly keeping it out of Joe's hands.

This is real life, dude. This isn't Isiah Thomas's fantasy world where Stephon Marbury and Steve Francis can play in the same backcourt.

• Moderators

I can't see Philly pulling the trigger. I know they want him gone but they're team will be a joke without getting something significant back. And Al would rather have a smaller contract than do a sign and trade to Philly I would think. With AI gone I can't see Philly being better than us next year, and Al does not want to do that again.

Quote:

Lastly, he's a scorer who could take the pressure off of our younguns to produce. Iverson scored 30+ ppg last season. Put that with what we have here in JJ scoring 20+ ppg and we have something good offensively.

I don't see how you can possibly look at the players that they've put next to AI in philly, and think JJ and AI would mesh together.

Quote:

Actually, the ball was never in JJ's hand to begin with. JJ is a good ball handler, but he's not a PG. So, I don't see that big a problem putting the ball in Iverson's hands. Moreover, Iverson makes JJ a better 2 guard.

Did you watch the Hawks last year? Of course the ball was in JJ's hands. He was our playmaker. If Iverson were here, JJ would turn into a spot up shooter. There is a reason that Philly has never really put ball handlers around Iverson. It doesn't suit his game or his personality. He demands to dominate the ball all game long.

Quote:

BK's 5 yr plan. What has BK ever engineered? What is his track record? Why should we trust BK for 5 years when his track record haven't shown that he's a guy that can get it done? Why turn down common sense for EGO? That's what you're saying. We should follow the EGO and eliminate common sense altogether.

That's stupid.

I'm not a fan of BK or his ego, but I think getting Iverson would be a very stupid move that makes no sense basketball wise. The ONLY thing that getting Iverson would help would be at the ticket counter. If BK starts making moves with just the ticket sales in mind, I'm more worried than ever for this franchise.

Many of you agree that Iverson would interrupt Billy's "5 year plan". Well, we're nearly half-way through this plan, and we're up to WOW, and astounding 26 wins! We're so close...yeah right! The play-off's are still at LEAST 1-2 years away, and 5 years should take you much furthur than just a play-off birth. We should be competing for the ECF by then, and the way we're going, that's a pipe dream. On the other hand, bringing in Iverson would give us a legitimate shot at the play-offs in 06-07, fill the arena, bring some kind of life and exposure to a dead francise, and bring some star power to the Hawks. It's amazing that people would not want to have Allen Iverson. 39 wins the last two seasons and we're questioning bringing in an every year All-star...that's nuts.

Yall are killing me. We would be fools to turn down a AL+something/Ai trade. So what Iverson dominates the ball. Didn't Nash dominate the ball when JJ played for the suns. And I recall he shot better. AI would jump start this franchise and the 5 year bs is nonsense. JJ contract ends in 5 years. We need to win now and AI would make us instant contenders. This waitng around bs will not cut. He would jump start this franchise and put more fans in the seats and genrate more revenue. Money is everything in this league and with him on our team we would have enough money to spend on other free agents that would make us better contenders. (Including big men). If i were the owners I would ask Coach Woodson how would he feel about coaching Ai and JJ and other team memembers on how would they feel playing with AI. If they give them they're blessings. I would say do it. And fire BK for being such a dumbass for passing up such and opportunity

Well I do believe AI would bring excitement - but we did just pay out a max contract for JJ-a shooting guard who also fills in at PG. I doubt if he would be too excited about having AI in here dominating the ball.

I'm not saying the "master plan" is going to work...but the only way to find out is to move ahead with it, get some more bigs, and see what happens.