• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How likely is a Hawks trade UP?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Quote:

A second option would be to exchange picks with one of the teams --
likely the Portland Trail Blazers at No. 4 or Atlanta Hawks at No. 5 -- slightly further down in the draft order.

The thinking is that with the top five or so players in the draft considered to be fairly comparable, why not use a lower pick to get a equally valuable player at a cheaper salary? The first pick in the draft will earn about $4.3-million (U.S.) more than the fifth pick over the next three seasons.

DO you think that there's a must have in the draft that we would trade up for?

Quote:

Quote:

A second option would be to exchange picks with one of the teams --
likely the Portland Trail Blazers at No. 4 or Atlanta Hawks at No. 5 -- slightly further down in the draft order.

The thinking is that with the top five or so players in the draft considered to be fairly comparable, why not use a lower pick to get a equally valuable player at a cheaper salary? The first pick in the draft will earn about $4.3-million (U.S.) more than the fifth pick over the next three seasons.

DO you think that there's a must have in the draft that we would trade up for?

not for us but for other teams. for somebody who could use a slasher or a natural scorer this is a pretty strong draft up top.

• Premium Member

As I look at the draft..

Unless BK gets the TT fever, I don't see us giving up any of our players or future picks to move up. It doesn't make sense. IN fact, I would rather move down and get 2 1st rounders..

PGs : Rondo, Farmar, M Williams, Brewer, Mardy

PFs : Shelden (maybe), Simmons, Josh Boone, Sene.

• Moderators

Quote:

I'd give Sene a try, but not the others.

I'm not very excited about Sene right now. He averages less than 5ppg in a subpar Belgian league. He is miles away from NBA ready right now.

• Admin

nothing worth moving up for. The top picks are likely to be more potential than 1-2 year production and that's what we need. We don't really need more projects. If we want one, O'bryant will be available. I think he's probably the only project player that is really interesting.

Im sick and tired of people saying that there is nothing worth trading up for. Just like people were saying Carmelo and Lebron were the only good players in the draft 3 years ago, they are once again wrong.

LaMarcus Aldridge, Tyrus Thomas, and Andrea Bargnani all have All-Star potential. Sure they don't have as much potential as next year's class, but put it like this: they sure as hell have more all-star potential than the players after them. Does Josh Boone or SHelden Williams seem look like future all-stars?

I say trade up and solidify the corp of this team with JJ, Smoove, Marvin, and a big man.

Those 3 players you mention have All-Star potential, sure. Shelden Williams, however, may not even go top 10. Josh Boone probably won't go in the first round. Those aren't the guys we'll be picking from at 5. What about Roy and Morrison, though??? PLS READ: I do not want to draft Morrison. Morrison, however, has All-Star potential. The important thing is that he'll probably go top 4. Rudy Gay, also may go top 4.

The question is, if Roy (and maybe Thomas or even Aldridge) is going to be there 5th, why trade up? To simplify things, if this is a 5 or 6-deep draft and there's not much difference between 1 and 6, then what's the point in trading assets to move up?

I'll go on the record and say the only player I'd trade up for is Aldridge, and that depends on how much I'd have to give. Bargnani may be great eventually, but he is a RISKY pick, especially if we're having to trade something ridiculous like Childress to move up 4 spots and get him.

• Admin

sure there might be things worth trading up for other teams. But we don't need yet another 3-4 year forward project. We need players who can contribute to the effort NOW. There aren't any center prospects worth moving up for and there aren't any PG/SG prospects worth moving up for. So for us, moving up is pointless. We can get what we need where we are.

The way I see this draft is that right now there are 6 players who have been mentioned as a top 3 pick: Bargnani, Aldridge, TT, Gay, Morrison, and Roy. Today Chad Ford asked why shouldn't O'Bryant be a top 3 pick, but that sounded more like journalism than a GM's opinion.

The crazy thing is we don't know which of these 6 players will actually go top 2 or 3. The last several years it seems like that much was known. This year any one of the top 6 could fall to us, and on top of that we might not select them if that happend. Part of me thinks that might put us in a great position because if a team has TT on top of their draft board and he falls to our slot what might they give up to get him?

Could we be in a position to get a good young player and a couple picks simply because team x never thought Morrison would still be available at #5?

would you rather move down and get two first rounders this year...

or move down (even further) and get one this year and some sort of 'guaranteed' first rounder in next year's draft as well (recognizing that we would have to move even FURTHERdown this year to procure a draft pick next year without protection)...

* the other scenario in this is to obtain such a pick in trading Al...regardless, it's something that I think that mgt. needs to find a way to assure...

PPS ~ sorry for the infrequent posts and haphazard style of late...I'm moving to Memphis and have been blessed with the birth of my son( first child)...these things are keeping me busy! (fr

Quote:

sure there might be things worth trading up for other teams. But we don't need yet another 3-4 year forward project. We need players who can contribute to the effort NOW. There aren't any center prospects worth moving up for and there aren't any PG/SG prospects worth moving up for. So for us, moving up is pointless. We can get what we need where we are.

People keep saying we don't need a 3-4 year forward project but fail to realize how young this team is. If you think we will seriously be contending next year regardless of who we land next year, you're fooling yourself. Marvin Williams, Josh Smith, and Josh Childress are still young. It will be another 2-3 years before we're seriously contending which is why it makes all the sense in the world to get someone that can grow up with them so they can start developing that chemsitry.

There are no sure things in the draft but is someone going to foolishly believe a player like Patrick O'Bryant or Shelden Williams has more potential than LaMarcus Aldridge.

Quote:

would you rather move down and get two first rounders this year...

or move down (even further) and get one this year and some sort of 'guaranteed' first rounder in next year's draft as well (recognizing that we would have to move even FURTHERdown this year to procure a draft pick next year without protection)...

I don't think teams really trade unprotected picks anymore. Our best shot at Oden or Noah next year is with our own pick to be honest with you.

I'm almost certain that I'd stay put and I'm also almost certain BK will stay put also. Someone posted we should stay put and see who's still available at our pick and if we cant get who we want trade down. That seems to make the most sense especially when you think about who might be available and add in the fact that we probably wont have a pick next year.

However, I think a good GM will look at it deeper. We are already too young. We have tons of capspace and tradeable assets. The odds of drafted a future all-star drastically go down when drafting lower than 5th.

I bet BK will see all that and just stay put and draft BPA even if that means Morrison or Gay. Eventually he'll have to trade someone but a probable better player has more value when that time comes anyways.

Speaking of no 1st rounder next year, I bet that's always in the back of BK's mind when he's trying to make moves. I bet he gets a pick that's likely to be good somehow before next year rolls around.

Quote:

Does NY have anything to offer us to swap our 5 for their two picks: 20 and 29.

Sene, Farmar, A. Johnson could be had that low.

Channing Frye AND Nate Robinson. Not OR, only AND. I would say no chance with anyone else. But we would be working with Isiah - an honorary Babcock.