• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sekou on LA radio????

DrReality

Quote:

Daily News The Forums Podcast Lakers Trade Rumors Summer Pro League Lakers Draft 2006 Shop Lakers Bogdock Network

AQ Search Memberlist Register Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

Atlanta Approaches the Lakers?

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 Next

Club Lakers Forum Index -> Lakers Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic

diamondcutter

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:03 pm Post subject: Atlanta Approaches the Lakers?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lee Hamilton on AM 570 led off today's 5:00 PM headlines stating that Atlanta approached the Lakers directly about a sign-and-trade that would send Al Harrington to the Lakers for Andrew Bynum, Smush Parker, a 1st Round Draft Pick and $3 million in cash.

The only thing I hate giving up in this deal is Bynum. I personally have high hopes for Bynum, but if we're trying to make the best of use of Kobe's prime years, maybe this would be a good deal.

I know this would create a glut at the forward position, but maybe it would be best to accumulate talent and sort out the rest later. Maybe we could move Odom to PG (although it would create liabilities on defense) or play a 3-headed monster at the forward positions (with each of them averaging 32 minutes per/game). Or maybe we could use Odom as trade bait for a PG.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by diamondcutter on Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

SteveMachine

Here is a post from a blog in LA. If this is true, I applaud BK for this deal proposal.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Andrew Bynum is as good as you think he is. He's definitely not worth Chill and Al.

You normally make some good thought provoking comments about redundancy, but I think you've went overboard here. While Al & Chill may be expendable players, I don't think you just deal them for (IMO) way less value to TRY and fill a need. I'm not against trading Chillz, but not coupled with Al for an unproven center. That would be crazy. What has Bynum done to show he's worth that? I think a combo of Chillz/Al carries way more value than Bynum and garbage.

• Premium Member

Quote:

And as far as Bynum not jumping he was 6th in the league in blocks per minute at age 17-18. The guy has the potential on both ends of the court and he's hungry (no pun). This helps both team's needs, how can we not get this done?!?

If you block 2 shots in 10 minutes of Garbage time on the season, you'd probably lead the league in BP48 minutes too...

• Premium Member

I would much rather take Bynum, groom him and give him some minutes and see what you have rather than taking a known mediocre player in Mihm who is a one year rental. We need a big who score in the low post, rebound, and block shots to cover for our 6'9" cavalcade of forwards in the frontcourt. Walt is spot-on about this.

• Premium Member

If the filler was a 2007 first round pick absolutely. Childress is out the door in two years regardless of what we do with this team. He's not going to resign to be a bench player on a lottery team when several teams will offer him minutes and money to start. Ditto for Josh Smith.

The filler would HAVE to be somebody to make the contracts balance out.

Walt's origninal suggestion was Al/Chill for Bynum/filler. I think you & Walt are grossly overestimating Bynum if you honestly feel this is a good deal for us.

If they threw in a first, it's likely going to be a late first. I still think Al & Chillz carry more value than Andrew Bynum and a pick in 20's.

• Premium Member

I don't think the future is as bright as you guys want to believe it is for Bynum. Bynum has done nothing. He has very little athletic ability. He's slow.

Quote:

Now with the Lakers having had success in players like Jordan Farmar,JR Pinnock, and some of Andrew Bynum so far in this summer league play. Now when I say some of Bynum I mean it. In the Lakers 4th summer league game Bynum missed 6 of 7 shots, had 2 shots blocked by 6' 9" forward from Texas (Brian Boddicker), He only scored 2 points in 33 minutes! Thats not it all! He fumbled many passes and did not even look intrested in the game. If Bynum continues to play like this he will be no where near the Lakers hopes of a new All-Star Center. The Lakers have never won a championship without a premier Center. Is Kwame that man? Not Bynum? All this makes me wonder if the Lakers knew what they were doing on draft Night 2005. In Bynum third summer league game he put up a good performance in a win over Dallas.

Now, I don't make much out of summer league. I just look at it as a chance to veiw fundamentals and aggressivness. However, all we have for Bynum is some weak summerleague play and some weak league play. I think the only thing remotely enticing about him is his age and his height. Like I have said, I would much rather have a player like Mihm who can play the game and is slightly above average than to have another guess.

I also feel the fact that Chillz may leave is irrelevant to this discussion. The fact that we have 2 years to work with means we have 2 years to get back something for a guy who's value is likely going to increase as he becomes a better basketball player. Why trade him off now and get back a lesser return?

Maybe I didn't watch enough Laker games last year, but I still can't see what Bynum has done to make you so enamoured with his potential. I mean, if he was that good, shouldn't he have unseated Kwame or Mihm?

• Premium Member

In this case,

Walt is wrong. He's trying to trade Chillz simply because Chillz is tradable. He's not concerned so much about us getting back equal value for Chillz.

Secondly,

This board has severely overrated Bynum.

Quote:

I don't think Andrew Bynum is as good as you think he is. He's definitely not worth Chill and Al.

I def agree with Bynum not being worth Chill and Al, but to say that he is not as good as you think he is, is absured!

No one has seen this kid play enough to make that judgment call. NO ONE. It kills me when someone makes statements like that and have nothing to back it up. The only time we've seent this kid do anything is when he went head up with Shaq last season. Does anyone remember how the rook embarassed Shaq after Shaq tried to teach the rookie a lesson on NBA Big Man 101?????? I do! The young fellow put a move on Shaq face up, side stepped him and Dunked on Shaq. And that was 1 of the very few times that he's had playing time. So.....again I say, how can you say that this kid is not as good as we think?????

Guest Walter

Quote:

If they threw in a first, it's likely going to be a late first. I still think Al & Chillz carry more value than Andrew Bynum and a pick in 20's.

We are benching Chill and MW or JS as this team currently stands and only one thing can justify playing a 2, Sf starting lineup! A dominant 2-way BIG! He's right in front of us and you're worried about a little talent WE DON'T USE! NONSENSE! BTW, I think we could get a lotto protected pick from LA in the deal, but I DON'T CARE! I want to see this team DESIGNED WELL! We are a GD frankenstein, parts is parts team and the hardest piece fo the puzzle to fix that is right there for the taking on a win now team.

This is not about what is talent equitable. This is about what is better for the TEAM.

Moreover, the filler is all ending contracts. We keep our FA flexibility despite this deal! And big 7'ers with potential always have value...yes, in 2 years more value than 6th men like Childress.

All the people that continue to whine about this deal not being talent-equal better not [censored] about JS and MW not starting together! I don't want to hear one bith about it from you people because it's lazy, uninspired, stuffy thinking that we can't build a TEAM and get the rare type player we NEED, because it costs us a little more talent that we are going to lose anywauy (Al) and won't use well (JC).

W

I don't care what Bernie said on the radio, if we get a ton of frontcourt depth, Shelden ain't guarunteed jack squat. If he can't outplay other guys at PF or C, he will spend some time on the bench. He may be considered "NBA ready" compared to other big guys drafted recently, but he will have plenty to learn about the NBA.

Shelden is a team player, I personally believe that he, and not JJ, should have been the primary option for Dook in recent years, but he does as his coach tells him, and he produces just the same.

Let's get all the big man help we can! I can't believe som people would be concerned that we're adding too MUCH depth in the frontcourt!

My statement of

Quote:

I don't think Andrew Bynum is as good as you think he is.

was based entirely upon another poster suggesting that we should offer Al Harrington & Josh Chilldress for nothing but Andrew Bynum and a contract filler. The statement was intended for Walter. It was not a general statement about Bynum's ability. It was a statement comparing Bynum's value to that of Al and Chillz. I was not directing that statement at anyone other than Walter because I have no idea what everyone else thinks about Bynum.

Guest Walter

Quote:

I def agree with Bynum not being worth Chill and Al, but to say that he is not as good as you think he is, is absured!

Al is bye, bye and to many here his loss is addition by subtraction. JC is our 3rd string Sf. These guys, as good as they are do not have tremendous value TO US!!! They are plauyers gone or in our margins. Chill will never be resigned here when his contract is up also.

A potential 2-way talented, potentially dominant big who frees up everyone else on our roster to do what they do best is to us like a great Pg capable of making everybody else better.

Too many people involve pride in this debate. That our talent cannot be sold for less sheer talent. What lazy, uninspired, team defeating thinking! There are so many other bigger, more important variables than just talent in this discussion. By adding a player like Bynum we set our roster and our rotations. No more guesswork. We say to the league "We're fast enough from 1-4 to out-run and jump you, skilled enough everywhere to outplay you, and most importantly, big, strong, and deep enough at the 4, 5 to put fear in you."

This big is the last piece of the puzzle that joins all the rest of our peices together. It's also the rarest piece to find in all of basketball. So when you find it ande need it like us, GET YOUR MAN! and don't let your pride stop you!

W

I am pretty amazed that the info as it has been presented is for real. When I posted it I was very skeptical.

But in the event that it is for real I am glad to hear we are thinking about getting something back other than the exeption from Indy. Stockpiling bigs could definately be advantageous for us (as said) especially come the trading deadline.

Lastly, evaluating the tallent of anyone who has only played for LAL and Kobe is difficult. Playing in the triangle offense and to help Kobe get his 35 points is very different from playing in our system. That being said, Cook intrigues me and may have more ability than he has been able to show. And I am surprised that there has not been mention of Vujacic being traded rather than Parker. (from their side.)

I don't have time to get into a detailed answer of your post right now because I'm at work. If I get some time later I will spell it out for you.

In a Nutshell...

Andrew Bynum is an UNPROVEN player. Giving away two proven commodities like Al Harrington and Josh Chilldress just because we can would be foolish. It would be one thing if we're trading for Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh or Amare Stoudamire, but we're talking about a kid from HS who's only claim to fame as far as I can tell is dunking on a 34 year old Shaq. You are trading away 2 of our most valueable assets for something that MIGHT work out.