• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trade Duckett???

DrReality

• Premium Member

I wouldn't trade Duckett if I didn't have to.

Can he be converted into a FB?

I love the speed of Norwood. I was watching MSU vs. UF on ESPN Classic. This kid has skills and speed. However, every now and then, you need to be able to punish a defense by pounding Duckett at them. Much like Pitts used 3 RBs, I think we can carry three too.

• Moderators

I would deal him if an attractive offer came along. A team like New Jersey could use him a lot more than we can. I would not deal him for something like a 4th round pick, though. Depth is precarious enough in the NFL that a third RB (which I think he is now that we have Norwood) has real value. See the recent disasters in Green Bay and Carolina, for example.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

I heard talk on the radio Saturday morning of them trading him for Ashley Lelie to replace Finneran this year.

Ashley Lelie? Why would you trade Duckett when Warrick Dunn is aging? Lelie is a filler player.

The Falcons aren't going to resign Duckett and may lose him without compensation if they don't deal him before next year. That is why you trade him. As for Lelie, I am not sure he is the right guy.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I heard talk on the radio Saturday morning of them trading him for Ashley Lelie to replace Finneran this year.

Ashley Lelie? Why would you trade Duckett when Warrick Dunn is aging? Lelie is a filler player.

The Falcons aren't going to resign Duckett and may lose him without compensation if they don't deal him before next year. That is why you trade him. As for Lelie, I am not sure he is the right guy.

What are the Falcons going to do when Dunn starts to show his age?? Maybe Duckett isn't really the type of back the Falcons want, but I don't know. Dunn is over 30 now and sooner rather than later he will show his age I think.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What are the Falcons going to do when Dunn starts to show his age?? Maybe Duckett isn't really the type of back the Falcons want, but I don't know. Dunn is over 30 now and sooner rather than later he will show his age I think.

They drafted a RB in the third round this year named Julius Norwood who is much better suited for the cutback style they play. He is already tearing it up in camp and had a great first exhibition game. He is now the heir apparent.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They drafted a RB in the third round this year named Julius Norwood who is much better suited for the cutback style they play. He is already tearing it up in camp and had a great first exhibition game. He is now the heir apparent.

I didn't get to see that game.

I did watch part of the Titans and Saints. I liked what I saw in Vince Young. His throws inside the pocket were right on the money for the most part. He would one throw down the field that the WR failed to catch...

I was impressed with how he threw the ball out there. He didn't seem to think run before pass... Which surprises me abit.

• Admin

Dunn still has 3 good years in him at his current level. The only thing Duckett brings is a change of pace and an almost sure thing in short yardage situations. His problem is that he has NO vision. He's a downhill back that rarely ever finds the hole unless it opens right in front of him and typically when it does open he's already on his way to the ground.

I'm not saying we jump to trade TJ immediately. But if Norwood shows that he has the stuff to get it done. We'd be fools for not looking to trade T.J. The chances that we can resign him are slim.

Quote:

Dude was FAST, seemed to have good vision and his cuts in traffic could be quicker than Vicks. It was only one game. But he looked like a playmaker to me.

We must remember that it's only preseason. That's one reason why I try not to get my hopes up on Vince Young. As impressive as he looked in the pocket, got to remember it's only preseason.

I've never heard Norwood... And perhaps I'm just biased toward bigger backs. But I supposed you are right about Duckett.

• Admin

I don't think you trade a guy like Dunn just because he's 30. He's still got plenty of juice in him, he's smart as hell at his position and he's not an injury prone guy. There probably isn't a feature back in the league that knows how to take a hit better than Dunn.

This is coming from the guy that doesn't believe in paying receivers or backs either.

• Moderators

Quote:

IF we were going to trade a RB, why not Dunn.

Because we have him under contract for several years and he is at the peak of his game. The Falcons are trying to win now and not 3 years from now. We need Dunn to do that.

Duckett is the man to trade if someone is going to go.

Quote:

That was one of my questions.

Dunn is not getting younger and he still has to have some value. IF we were going to trade a RB, why not Dunn.

I don't think you trade Dunn... I just think that when a RB has hot 30 you need a quality guy backing him up. With running backs, they can decline really quickly at anytime between the age of 31-34 years old.

• Premium Member

I know that Dunn is a good back. No doubt. And my first thought is that we should be able to carry all three. However, if we must trade one, why is it automatically Duckette. He could be the next Bus.

It may be an option year or something but I heard one of the commentators say that both he and Duckett would (or could) be FAs next year.

That said, I MIGHT trade Duckett for the right player but he would have to be an impact player because I think Duckett can still play a HUGE role on this team as the change of pace back, the short yardage back and the clock-killing guy in the 4th quarter.

• Moderators

Despite owning him in my $ keeper league and despite rooting hard for him to breakout, I am not a big fan of Ducketts running. I don't think he is reliable to get the short yardage when you need it. He also is not a great fit for the cutback system here. That is why I see him as the guy who should go.