thesheedera

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/h...harrington.html

haven't seen this posted yet, if it was, my bad

HAWKS

Harrington deal up to Pacers

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/14/06

The Hawks could finally complete their long-anticipated sign-and-trade for Al Harrington Monday if the Indiana Pacers agree to the deal, a person familiar with the situation said Sunday.

The Hawks have agreed to sign Harrington to a six-year, $57 million deal and then send him and third-year center John Edwards to the Pacers for a future first-round draft pick, the person said.

Gone from the deal is the $3 million in cash the Hawks were seeking in addition to the draft pick before Harrington fired his agent.

Hawks general manager Billy Knight could not be reached for comment.

The Pacers have a $7.5 million trade exception they acquired last month in a sign-and-trade deal with New Orleans for Peja Stojakovic that allows them to complete the deal. The Hawks don't want to take back lengthy contracts that would put a stranglehold on the salary cap flexibility they've built up the past three years.

If the Pacers decline to complete the deal Monday, Harrington's list of options will grow at the same time Arn Tellem officially becomes his recognized agent. League rules stipulate a 15-day period between the time a player fires one agent and hires another.

As many as six other teams are waiting in the wings if the Hawks and Pacers can't complete the deal. The options for the Hawks and Harrington would multiply in that scenario, though the Hawks would have to agree to take players in return in order for any sign-and-trade deal not involving the Pacers. Those options include Harrington taking something other than a five- or six-year contract, perhaps something as short as three years, in order to make a deal work.

Another option that has remained a possibility since the free-agent negotiating period began July 1 is a multiple-team deal where Harrington gets the lucrative, long-term contract he desires and the Hawks maintain their salary flexibility by not taking on an unwanted contract. But that option requires at least one more team, and maybe more, to become reality.

The completion of the Harrington deal will allow the Hawks to finally sign Lorenzen Wright to the two-year, $6 million deal the former Hawks player and free agent center has agreed to sign.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take it for what its worth , a poster on realgm and pacers digest message boards is claiming his friend is on the Pacer training staff. Says friend bitched he has to be at Conseco tomorrow at 8am for Al Harrington's physical.

The poster is not prone to making stuff up. Like I said take it for what its worth. Personally I'm of the opinion all indications points to the deal being done tomorrow ,as long as Al passes the physical.

No doubt about it. We need to be legitimate players in this coming draft. I know some say we need to get passed thinking about stock-piling young talent via the draft. I just can't see that logic. Anytime you can draft a good player, and supposedly this one is going to have it's fair share, I don't care how good you are...you do it!

I don't think the point of the trade is necessarily to get or maintain cap space, it's getting a first round pick without taking on bad salary.

We need to get back into the '07 draft, have money for '07 free agency, and keep the financial flexibility to resign Smoove, Chill, and Marvin when they come due for a big payday.

If we deal with any other team we would have to take on around $8 million in salary to complete an Al trade, and that would most likely mean we'd be getting stuck with some bad contracts.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I know some say we need to get passed thinking about stock-piling young talent via the draft. I just can't see that logic. Anytime you can draft a good player, and supposedly this one is going to have it's fair share, I don't care how good you are...you do it!

My statement on the matter is this.

If we had the choice between a player who is playing now vs. a draft pick, we ought to take the player. We are no longer in the talent acquisition and development phase. However, if all we have is a draft pick vs. Nothing, then you are right, we have to take the pick. However, let's remember, a pick will do nothing to help the core of players we have now. One of the Joshes will be gone soon. and as time goes by, we will continue to lose pieces. We need some stabilizing forces to help us win instead of more future talk. For sure a 2008 pick does nothing for us and i would rather have Chris Mihm or an ending contract... Sheez, give me Kwame..

Quote:

For sure a 2008 pick does nothing for us and i would rather have Chris Mihm or an ending contract...

When talking about results on the floor next season I agree with this. From all we have heard out of the Indy folks, we are not getting a 2007 from them. Maybe we can trade the 2008 + ? to get back into 2007 with someone else...

• Premium Member

I don't trust Indy folks as the source of truth. Not that they would lie, but I believe that they are incredibly biased. Even You Moutain Jim... Just kidding.

Anyway, I think that the truth is that we could do better with either an ending contract or a 2 year contract coming back. I don't see a problem with trying to deal for Mihm and a conditional first.

I don't see a problem of us taking some other ending contract and a first. However, giving Al away for a 2008 pick is just that.. giving him away.

I agree. And that pisses me off, but I have to remind myself that he is an unrestricted FA, and its clear to the world that we have NO intention of resigning him. Obviously Billy created the situation for himself, but to get a lot in return when everyone knows you don't want him anymore might be too much to ask.

Honestly a 2007 pick that'll probably be mid to late 1st round isn' exactly a huge win either. I think it has a lot to do with PR in a way. The last thing our ownership/management need is to have another weak season on the court, and then get embarassed as hell during the draft when the nation gets reminded over and over again about the fact that we don't have a 1st round pick. EVERYONE will jump on that, if for nothing else than to at least make their team's situation look a touch better.

Quote:

I don't trust Indy folks as the source of truth. Not that they would lie, but I believe that they are incredibly biased. Even You Moutain Jim... Just kidding.

Anyway, I think that the truth is that we could do better with either an ending contract or a 2 year contract coming back. I don't see a problem with trying to deal for Mihm and a conditional first.

I don't see a problem of us taking some other ending contract and a first. However, giving Al away for a 2008 pick is just that.. giving him away.

i thought long and hard about posting a thread I got involved in with the Pacers board @ RealGM but decided I wouldn't bring another board's talk over here.

I'll paraphrase. They talk about how "Baby Al" used to shut down MJ (yes that's Michael Jordan) one on one. they also reminisce about a fabled playoff series against Boston when "Baby Al" supposedly put the brakes on Paul Pierce.

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

either they're crazy or I was right all along about Woodson being our problem on the defensive end of the court.

Quote:

...either they're crazy or I was right all along about Woodson being our problem on the defensive end of the court.

I hate to complain about a coach when I've never been close enough to the team to have real firsthand info - but generally speaking - I'm inclined to think the Hawks' coaching is below average.

If I were a guy like JC...buried behind JJ/MW/JS and not getting the coaching to develop...I'd be in the front office asking for a trade every morning.

Quote:

Quote:

...either they're crazy or I was right all along about Woodson being our problem on the defensive end of the court.

I hate to complain about a coach when I've never been close enough to the team to have real firsthand info - but generally speaking - I'm inclined to think the Hawks' coaching is below average.

If I were a guy like JC...buried behind JJ/MW/JS and not getting the coaching to develop...I'd be in the front office asking for a trade every morning.

i got flamed over and over again 9 months ago for continuously posting that defense is more about effort and scheme than talent.

all these guys are world class athletes so it's not like Woodson doesn't have something to work with.

• Moderators

Quote:

i got flamed over and over again 9 months ago for continuously posting that defense is more about effort and scheme than talent.

I think you left off one important factor - experience. It is probably the rule rather than the exception that guys really improve on the defensive side of the ball with age and experience. A big part of defense is awareness and anticipation and young players just don't usually have that without the passage of time.

• Moderators

Quote:

point taken.

Per your point, though, the one thing I wouldn't accept from our guys is a lack of effort. If they are trying their hardest and getting burned that is OK. If they are saving their energy for offense or playing matador D then there is a major problem and the Coach better address it.