• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

JJ on 790 right now.

chillzatl

Quote:

Its not that we passed on Chris Paul.

Its that we passed on a player who could really help us at a position we were absolutely desparate to fill (PG ). Instead we choose a player who would play a position that we already had filled with quality players (Chill, Smith and Al).

That is why we are always getting crap. If we took Deron or Felton we wouldn't be hearing anything either.

I think it will work out in the end and Marvin will become a very good sf, its just that our pick really didn't make sense.

Until we start winning games and Marvin begins to show his worth we will always be that team who didn't pick Paul.

So we will be none as the team that passed on him ?? What about Utah and taking Deron ahead of him. Portland trading down so not to take him. Yep BK was the only GM the missed the Chris Paul boat. (sarcasm) We all knew going into the season he was prob going to be ROY because he was the most experienced player taken. You dont draft for that one year. lets wait 4 years and then come back to the conversation.

Quote:

Do we just hear more of this because we are in Atlanta, or does the national media peg us as the team that passed on Chris Paul?

I read somewhere that as many as 7 teams passed on Paul. Because Portland traded down on draft night, we know at least 4 teams passed on Paul.

Why is Portland off the hook? They got Martell Webster, and then traded Telfair a year later. BTW, what the hell was Boston thinking in that Telfair trade?

Wait a second.. we had the chance to take Chris Paul?

How did I miss this?

Guest Walter

...so passing on a Pg much less him was just unbelievable given there was no talent difference. I doubt Utah feels good about their decision but at least they filled a team NEED and Deron has plenty of potential showing in his later season play.

W

P.S. Portland had 2 quality Pg prospects and got Jack. No need for another as evidenced by their offseason moves.

Guest Walter

Quote:

I think it will work out in the end and Marvin will become a very good sf, its just that our pick really didn't make sense.

Until we start winning games and Marvin begins to show his worth we will always be that team who didn't pick Paul.

If MW and JS don't end up starting together AND that team being a title contender it SHOULD not only be questioned but harpooned. I believe it will take us getting a true, potentially 2-way dominant center in order to justify both JS and MW playing significant MPG on the court together at both forward positions. I don't see that happening easily. We missed by far our best chance this offseason.

BK should have been held over a fire by more posters for that decision. Elsewhere he gets the "WTF!?!" response he deserves. Here? Alot of faith-based apologists.

W

"We missed by far our best chance this offseason." for what? getting a 2-way dominant center? i'll agree with your theory that that is what we really need to get the most out of playing js and mw together, but we really don't know what was offered to billy, or what ownership was really allowing him to get. i would have loved to have gotten a bynum, magiloire, camby, dwight howard, whoever--but we don't know. i would hold the hawks ownership and management over the fire collectively, not just bk.

as far as the cp3 crap is concerned GET OVER IT!!! yes, i feel it was a mistake, too. i would have liked to have gotten him in the draft, too. i know that i would have liked to have gotten him even more now than i did during the draft, tenfold. both of their play last year has only driven that home so much my head is numb. i'm not a bk apologist, but i have a feeling that with a pick as high as two, and with the MASSIVE hype coming from everywhere over marvin, i really think that bk had visions of drafting sam bowie over michael jordan floating in his head by dafting by need and not the best talent of the draft. yes, i know he didn't do that this year, and he's getting crap from that, too. i would've liked a pg, but hell, as much hype marvin got, i was pleased to have gotten him at the time. if we had the number one, everyone know we would've taken bogut. billy said it, bogut talked about it, everyone. and everyone would've been pleased as punch to have gotten him then. after seeing his mediocre play this past season, i'm sure people would've been griping about not getting chris paul then, too.

i think bk does some descent things, and does some lame things. but lets face it, when you're gm for the hawks and this ownership group, you can't win for losing-damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• Premium Member

People who claim Paul is "average" on defense clearly did not watch any game the Hornets played last year. He was horrible. He was routinely outmatched, outmuscled and outplayed by his man. Offensively he was given a free ticket to do whatever he wanted and he did well with the freedom.

Contrast that with Deron Williams who had to play under a coach notorious for not playing rookies in Jerry Sloan and a much more controlled and half court tempo offense than the freewheeling Hornets offense. Deron battled through injuries last year and had to get playing time when he could get it. It reminded me of the way Lenny treated JT his first season in the L.

Deron has a great stroke and has great handles. He will always play at a consistent level on defense. I would most definitely still take Deron over Paul. Notice Utah doesn't get any media scrutiny over taking Deron over Paul.

Guest Walter

Quote:

i'm not a bk apologist, but i have a feeling that with a pick as high as two, and with the MASSIVE hype coming from everywhere over marvin, i really think that bk had visions of drafting sam bowie over michael jordan floating in his head by dafting by need and not the best talent of the draft. yes, i know he didn't do that this year, and he's getting crap from that, too.

when BK goes with conventional wisdom he gets it wrong (MW), when he goes against it he gets it wrong (SW, even Childress to some extent although he may blow up for another team and we'll never see it here). We pay a GM to get it right, particularly VERY HIGH draft picks on a rebuilding team. We don't pay him based upon how good his excuses are.

If BK fell for the Michael Jordan argument when it came to MW then he should have been fired immediately. Anyone to have ever watched MJ and MW during their respective rookie yrs could tell the difference. MJ during a time and for a coach when freshmen never started, did so and carried his team. MW during a time when freshmen always start, didn't and was a role player. It wasn't even [censored] close. The MJ/Bowie argument is the biggest crock as you have to weigh everything in each draft independently. As SW shows, BK's philosophy is on two entirely different spectrums regarding this argument and in both cases he was absolutely wrong. Being so consistently wrong is what is entirely indefensible.

W