• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks exercise contracts on Josh, Josh and Marvin

Swatguy

Chillz is largely unappreciated by some. It still amazes me as some routinely throw him in the trade proposals and add-ins.

I really really appreciate BK and the administration for recognizing talent and worth. Chillz along with JJ, Smoove and Marvin will be stars. I will add also Shell, Zaza and Speedy.

This team is special. They have a chance to be an elite championship calibre team.

The Dawn of a whole new thing is happening.

The Real

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad this finally happen. We got Chill and Smoove locked in for 2 more years. I wonder if they will try to lock up Chill and Smoove next offseason? Try to get them under contract on the cheap a little bit. If we don't then we could face what the Suns did and how they lost JJ. I mean we should have no cap trouble as long as BK avoid taking on any bad contracts.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Chillz is largely unappreciated by some. It still amazes me as some routinely throw him in the trade proposals and add-ins. I really really appreciate BK and the administration for recognizing talent and worth. Chillz along with JJ, Smoove and Marvin will be stars. I will add also Shell, Zaza and Speedy.

This team is special. They have a chance to be an elite championship calibre team.

I'm sorry Bernie Mullin. I can't contain my sneer. Everybody appreciates Chill, we just appreciate his free-fall in the depth chart and our other needs more. Chillz, JJ, Smoove, and MW will all be stars? Certainly not for the same team. I declare that a BU cannot be considered a "star". That would mean that Chill and likely one of MW or JS will not be "stars for this team. JJ already is one. We'll see about the one remaining possibility. "Elite championship caliber team"? Phew, homerism to the Nth degree.

Back to the heading..." guess "whole new thing" implies something good.

In short, I'm sure you believe all of what you said, but I am curious as to why you believe it. What historically indicates support for your positions. What facts do you have indicating one should believe you? I think we have a major move to make and we must simply get lucky before we can even think about such things. I'll be happy to share my why with you but first, exactly why are you off the deepend on this one?

W

I agree with Walter on this. Everyone likes Chills are acknowledges that he is a goof piece to have on this team and on a winning team. The only reason people mention trading him is because of the logjam of talent at the small forward position. Why is that so hard to understand?

Basically, at some point the team may have to trade one of Chill, Smoove or Marvin to acquire talent at a position of need.

Guest Walter

That's what I feel our franchise heading will be if we don't pull the cord on a major trade. As hard as it is to pack a parachute, you still should open it. As hard as it is to create cap space, you still should use it.

"Dawn of a whole new thing" sounds awful Napoleon Dynamite.

W

• Premium Member

Why Chill?

I think we have to evaluate all three redundant pieces! It may turn out that Marvin is the weakest and can get us the most back (potential)!

However, nobody here wants to see another Diaw situation. We trade a player and watch him become the next greatest thing and that's regardless of what we get back.

Quote:

Why Chill?

I think we have to evaluate all three redundant pieces! It may turn out that Marvin is the weakest and can get us the most back (potential)!

However, nobody here wants to see another Diaw situation. We trade a player and watch him become the next greatest thing and that's regardless of what we get back.

I agree. Chill may not be the one to go. It really depends on who steps up. That said, I do see Chill as the most likely of the three to be able to play the "super-sub/6th man" role as opposed to being a starter.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Why Chill?

Not regardless. If we got back a project true center "next greatest thing" then we've come out way ahead FOR OUR TEAM.

EDS response including the potential of trading any one of JS, MW, or Chill so I believe "Why Chill?" was not appropriate to aim at him. He realizes like most of us that one of the three likely has to go.

But really, what can Chill and a likely 20th pick get you in terms of a big? Almost no actual and not as much potential as Al/Childress. We missed out.

W

the Hawks took on the options on Smove and Chillz contracts which were relatively cheap.

even if they had both been bench players they would have gotten their options picked up. this will be their 3rd year in the league guys, lighten up.

Walter, the world is not black or white. It is comprised of many shades of grey.

While Chillz may not be the next D Wade he certainly can be an important role player on this team.

• Premium Member

Quote:

true center "next greatest thing"

Here's the question for YOU AND YOU ONLY Walt...

If you were a GM and you had a true center "next greatest thing" ....

Would you trade him for Chillz, Marvin, or Smoove?

Guest Walter

Quote:

Walter, the world is not black or white. It is comprised of many shades of grey.

While Chillz may not be the next D Wade he certainly can be an important role player on this team.

I don't disagree with anything you said about Chilldress and have even stated a preferance to keep him over MW (or rather the lesser of MW and JS should things change) if we can't get a true center as he can BU both the 2/3 and MW could get more in a trade. If we can get said center then I'd like to keep MW and JS and run a true center with 2, Sfs being I think they are more talented.

While I express strong opinions they are neither black or white but grey. The above itself is a very nuanced position. I don't get your take on what I say.

W

Quote:

Quote:

I don't disagree with anything you said about Chilldress and have even stated a preferance to keep him over MW (or rather the lesser of MW and JS should things change) if we can't get a true center as he can BU both the 2/3 and MW could get more in a trade. If we can get said center then I'd like to keep MW and JS and run a true center with 2, Sfs being I think they are more talented.

While I express strong opinions they are neither black or white but grey. The above itself is a very nuanced position. I don't get your take on what I say.

W

my take is you've become an extremist Walter.

this obsession with the Center position has replaced the always predictable anti-Marvin Williams posts.

it's not going to get fixed this year. if you don't like it send a letter to Billy Knight, stop him outside his house, better yet ask his daughter out on a date.

• Moderators

Quote:

I declare that a BU cannot be considered a "star".

I declare John Havlicek came off the bench and was a star.

Frank Ramsey was also a star caliber player for the Celtics off the bench.

Manu Ginobili came off the bench for the Spurs when he was blossoming into a star.

Ben Gordon is also near star status and has played much of his career off the bench.

It can happen.

I agree it is unusual and that it doesn't represent the ideal distribution of talent on a team with as many needs the last few years as the Hawks.

The Real

I'm sorry Bernie Mullin. I can't contain my sneer. Everybody appreciates Chill, we just appreciate his free-fall in the depth chart and our other needs more. Chillz, JJ, Smoove, and MW will all be stars? Certainly not for the same team. I declare that a BU cannot be considered a "star". "Elite championship caliber team"? Phew, homerism to the Nth degree.

Back to the heading..." guess "whole new thing" implies something good.

In short, I'm sure you believe all of what you said, but I am curious as to why you believe it. What historically indicates support for your positions. What facts do you have indicating one should believe you? I think we have a major move to make and we must simply get lucky before we can even think about such things. I'll be happy to share my why with you but first, exactly why are you off the deepend on this one?

W

Your are intitled to your thoughts. I need not to apologze. 'm a fan and yeah I'm a homer (That's kinda why I'm on THIS Board). Chillz plays and supports three positions which benefits all other positions. You see, I'm not in your box of traditional negative thought. I understand if you don't. As far as supposedly "BU" players as stars how about Cazzie Russell, Vinnie Johnson, World B. Free, Fred Brown, Reggie Miller, Bruce Bowen, Robert Horry and many others. Geesh, you read like a smartazz ....boy that thinks he knows it all. Well bud you don't. I see light in the tunnel where some have limited sight.

Get outt town clown.

It's good to see a post from someone that actually has a sense of what's really happening with this team. There is no doubt in my mind that this team is on the upward trend at this point, and with players like Marvin, Joe, Josh, and Josh, they have the core talent to build a championship team around.

Josh Childress is a 2/3. Josh Smith is a 3/4. Marvin Williams is a 3/4. Shelden Williams is a 4/5. Joe Johnson is a 1/2. Where's the log jam? The five players mentioned above will probably get 10-15 minutes a game on the court together.

I believe that's what they are reserving the cap space to do. Extend the contracts of Josh and Josh next offseason, and then extend Marvin's contract the next offseason. Taking on a bad contract now could cost us one of those players in the next two years.