• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A four week plan for Hawksquawk posters.

Gray Mule

Here's an idea for everyone. Everyone plays the, could

have, should have, ought to have, etc. on our Hawks

players. This is something different and I believe that

ideas are like noses. Almost everyone has one and they

are usually different.

Every odd numbered day, 5-7-9 etc. we pick out ONE player

on the current Hawk's roster and share our thoughts,

ideas, etc. on how he will work out in the overall

picture for the Hawks.

Start with the lower end of the bench and work our way

up to the regulars. This eliminates players we don't

have - just Hawks - CURENT Hawks !!

If we can do this, we have 48 hours to discuss each

player and at the end of the month, when the season is

much closer, we should have a good idea of what everyone

here thinks of ALL our players.

Let's start with: ESTEBAN BATISTA

Batman! Big. Takes up a lot of space inside. Not

intimidated by anyone. Had to learn the N.B.A. game

on the run last season. Big language problem as he spoke

very little English.

With a year's experience and a year's maturity, I expect

to see a marked improvement in his overall game. Not

quiet ready for major minutes on an every night basis

but should be a solid role player for the Hawks.

If you like this idea, jump and and share your thoughts.

We'll pick another player on the 7th.

If there is no response, I'll drop this idea.

cool.gif

this forum was dying for new thread!

Este was a great player to pick first. I think the board will be all over the place on him.

first of all I couldn't believe that the Hawks or Este didn't have him doing some intensive english classes last season. I mean sheez, i think I could learn conversational Portugese within two weeks, especially if I lived in Portugal!

I don't see Este being in the rotation this year. his ideal spot is PF. If Shellhead plays 28 minutes at PF and Smoove plays 15 minutes there it will only leave 5 minutes a game. If the Marvin/Smoove tandem actually works out which is in question at this point then those minutes will dissapear altogether.

Este is really undersized for the C spot. On top of that Zaza is an emerging top 10 C in the Eastern conference with another year or two under his belt as the starter. If Pachulia plays once again, 28 minutes at the C spot that leaves 20 for Ren which I think is realistic.

If the Hawks are going to field a competitive team this year I don't think the rotation will shake out in a way Este gets considerable PT.

Este will however be invaluable each year when we play Ben Wallace and Shaq! grin.gif

He will be very valuable this year. Training camp will work Shell and Smoove into PF fitness. I see him entering games specifically to disrupt. Muscle, rebound, generally get into the way. When he leaves the floor the team will say (to the opponents)now what you gonna/wanna do?

Yeah, I agree that he will probably be pretty limited in his minutes this year because we actually have some bigs now.

But he has skills and will provide a couple of things:

A tough defender in practise to help our young guns learn to get their shot off against a heavy man.

And 5 fouls when Duncan, Gasol, and Shaq come to town.

I think Este has the chance to do something that hasn't been done in a while for the Hawks: have a 'cult' following. The web page that was posted a few weeks back showed he had a following, mostly ladies, that is cool.

I think most people like to root for the underdog and he certainly fills that role. I for one hope he becomes a critical role player against certain matchups. I also think he will help the young guys get tougher, something the Hawks have lacked for years.

Quote:

first of all I couldn't believe that the Hawks or Este didn't have him doing some intensive english classes last season. I mean sheez, i think I could learn conversational Portugese within two weeks, especially if I lived in Portugal!

It's probably harder to learn another language than you think. Children in some European countries take English classes for 10 years. Now by the end their grammar is probably better than a lot of Americans, but the point is that 2 weeks is a bit unrealistic.

There is one common trait between Ginobli, Nocioni, and Batista they all play with a lot of energy and are very physical. Nocioni is known for being crazy, and you see Batista injured Lue in practice last year. They don't understand how to take it easy.

I hope Batista will disrupt some of the better post player's games. He is capable of making guys afraid to come into the lane because he will take their heads off. Think of it, it's the middle of the season the Hawks are in town and you think guys are gonna want to risk an elbow in the face or settle for an 18 footer? Batista can hopefully encourage players, especially bigs, to shoot lots of jump shots.

Great idea G-M.

I agree with the sentements already posted:

Este is a great energy guy that can be an intimidator.

Has little in the way of offensive skills but will work his keester off to do what ever needs to be done.

Prolly won't get many minutes, but when he's on the floor everyone will kow it.

I agree with the unbelievable situation that Este wasn't given an English tutor- wth was that about?!!? But at the same time Este should have done something on his part to get better at English.

Quote:

It's probably harder to learn another language than you think. Children in some European countries take English classes for 10 years. Now by the end their grammar is probably better than a lot of Americans, but the point is that 2 weeks is a bit unrealistic.

Not really. If you are required to speak a language daily to meet your daily needs you learn it amazingly quick. You'll retain your accent, but you learn the grammar and the syntax as well as a lexicon quickly. I say this from real world experiences. I learned Spanish in about four months while living in Ecuador and then a second language, Kichwa, over the remaining five months of my field work. I am good enough in Spanish to interview people for an hour to two about economics, raising children, and health care. In Kichwa I still need an assitant to talk but I can understand everything said to me.

My guess is that Este just hung out with Spanish speakers so there was no incentive to really learn English.

• Premium Member

When Did Este Re-sign?

I haven't heard anything.

Anyway, I think Este is the enforcer. I wouldn't say he was Rodman or Artest.. I would say he was more like Haslem for Miami.

A guy who can go in, do the dirty work, and at the same time, add pure physicality to the game.

I don't think Este has the mean streak in him to be an Oakley or a Mahorn, but I think because of his pure strength and the fact that he does play Physically, he could be the enforcer of the team.

I went to Ecuador on a National Science Foundation grant that I received for my dissertation. So it was me all by my lonesome. I finished up all my data analysis over the summer and now I am writing it all up.

If you are interested send me a PM and I can tell you about it.

Thanks for the props,

Frosgrim

By Steve "BskBALL" Kyler

for HOOPSWORLD.com

Sep 2, 2006, 15:12

NBA RUMOR MILL - HOOPSWORLD.com

The Rumor Mill is updated every week, and covers the latest NBA trade rumors, NBA news and commentary from in and around the National Basketball Association.

30 DAYS AND COUNTING

The NBA opens training camp in roughly 30 days, and while most teams have rounded out their rosters, there are still some questions that will have to be answered in camp. Here is an update on all 30 teams.

Atlanta Hawks: The Hawks have a surprisingly good team, and camp is going to prove who the starters are, given the impact Joe Johnson has had on TEAM USA, and the growth of Marvin Williams - the Hawks may not be the walk through team they have been in the past. Ownership issues continue to weigh heavy on a lot of operational decisions, and the Hawks current owners are best served getting this resolved this year, rather than allowing it to drag on. This could also be the last year for the operations staff, Billy Knight and Mike Woodson have done a good job assembling talent, but if they don’t start winning some games, guys like Kiki Vandeweghe and coaches like Del Harris might become too tempting to pass on.

Quote:

Este will however be invaluable each year when we play Ben Wallace and Shaq!
grin.gif

If Este focus on defense he would get a lot more playing time. When we do play Shaq or any other scoring center who shoot poor from the line, Este will be a great asset to the team.

Quote:

I learned Spanish in about four months while living in Ecuador and then a second language, Kichwa, over the remaining five months of my field work.

My best friend just returned from Ecuador and a 3-year tour as a Peace Corp Volunteer. Ended up marrying an Ecuadorian lawyer there and they moved back to the states for now. You might even know him as Lee-bo.

My spanish? Not so good.

W