• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Revolt against Woody??????

hawkman

• Premium Member

This is an article from the Detroit News...

You get the feeling things aren't going to end well for Mike Woodson in Atlanta.

The former Pistons assistant coach seems to be fighting a no-win battle. The fact he is fighting it as well, with as much tenacity and class as you would think possible, appears to be irrelevant.

The Hawks are the youngest team in NBA history. That right there spells imminent doom for any coach. But there is talent there and Woodson has done a brilliant job nurturing it. He has been remarkably patient, despite loss after loss, setback after setback.

After a fast start, the Hawks have been in a free-fall, largely because of injuries. The Hawks' top seven players had missed a combined 52 games due to injury before Christmas. As a result, they have lost 12 of their last 16 games.

Still, Woodson has never allowed his young players to mope around and feel sorry for themselves. He has never allowed them to accept excuses or quit. Sooner than later, these kids are going to mature and the Hawks are going to be a relevant basketball team.

But I doubt Woodson will be around to reap the rewards for all his paternal patience and nurturing.

With losses and injuries piling up, the kids seem to be getting restless. There has been a lot of grousing, players like Salim Stoudamire, Marvin Williams and others complaining about their roles and other perceived slights.

He and Williams got into shouting match during the Hawks' loss at The Palace last Saturday, forcing Woodson to bench Williams for a stretch.

It might not be an all-out revolt, but the seeds of discontent appear to have been planted and watered. It might be only a matter of time before Woodson, who has just one year left on his contract after this season, gets whacked.

It's a shame, really, but oh-so predictable. I remember talking to him before he took the job and he knew the odds were stacked against him. He just felt he needed to get that first head coaching opportunity, one way or another.

You just hope Woodson gets another head coaching opportunity. You hope potential employers look beyond the won-loss record and consider the growth of those players and the role Woodson played in it.

...It seems like a pretty positive article on Woodson but it does indicate that there are some frustrations in the locker room. Salim I already knew about Salim, but Marvin Williams too? I guess that is to be expected with the current losing streak and all.

• Premium Member

This was the first that I've heard of it. I didn't read anything on the AJC about it. I was shocked that MW was involved, and that is why I posted the article here. I did read in the AJC that Woodson is going to shake up the starting lineup before tonight's game. I get a feeling that we will be seeing a lot more Solomon and Shelden tonight.

• Premium Member

Quote:

we just need a couple wins....right now we're just not getting them...get a couple wins and SOME confidence comes back....

Usually that cures most locker room frustrations. That 4-2 start probably did the team and the fans more harm than good. We think we're on the fast track to the playoffs and then we take a major nose dive....JUST LIKE THOSE ATLANTA FALCONS!!!!

• Premium Member

I would expect some revolt from Stoudamire (even though I don't know why).. but Marvin??

Either way, I think especially in the Detroit game, the way that Woody used both Salim and Marvin was good. Marvin was the lead dog when JJ went to the bench and Stoudamire played more minutes than he should have.

I say you trade Salim soon... he's going to be a lockerroom cancer.

Quote:

I would expect some revolt from Stoudamire (even though I don't know why).. but Marvin??

Either way, I think especially in the Detroit game, the way that Woody used both Salim and Marvin was good. Marvin was the lead dog when JJ went to the bench and Stoudamire played more minutes than he should have.

I say you trade Salim soon... he's going to be a lockerroom cancer.

With all the posters on this board, someone would have posted reading or hearing some discontent by Marvin. Plus I can't see him complaining after playing only a handful of games since coming off an injury.

Quote:

...With all the posters on this board, someone would have posted reading or hearing some discontent by Marvin. Plus I can't see him complaining after playing only a handful of games since coming off an injury.

I doubt the "Marvin complaining" side of the story demonstrates a chronic situation - probably just frustration in that particular game.

This is a "one paper town" though...and that tends to help teams keep internal problems under wraps. One can't help but wonder why a Detroit article would have insider info and the AJC not? Sounds fishy to me.

Usually these squabbles are easy to figure out - just follow the money - playing time and points usually equal big contracts in the future - and there's only so much of both to go around. And by designing the "offense"/calling the plays and setting the lineup - Woody controls both.

Many of us here on the Squawk have our favorite players and post that they should get more plays called for them...can you imagine what the agents are telling the players?

P.S. - I think JJ's quotes after the Utah debacle say a lot too. His saying to TLue going into the 4th quarter that he "didn't know what to expect" leads me to believe that he was very concerned that the other (young) guys would fall apart (which they did) - and afterwards somebody quoted that some guys looked scared out there (probably meaning the inexperienced guys). There may be a real Youth vs. Experienced Players rift on this team with Woody trying to hold the two sides together.

That's just a guess - but whatever's happening - something is happening.

JJ's not stupid - he knows he'll never be thought of as being in the Kobe/Wade class of players if the team keeps pissing away games and stays in the lottery. frown.gif

• Premium Member

You have to think that it runs in his mind. The conversation that Paul had with JJ during the Summer Games. I heard that Paul said that he really wanted to play for Atlanta and with JJ there, they could have been the best tandem in the game right now.

Then JJ has to come back and play with Marvin who is OK... But is nowhere on the level of Chris Paul.

I can imagine it frustrates JJ a little to see Marvin FU now.

If we go to the Utah game... The Hawks up by 21 going into the 4th. They lose...

Quote:

Marvin Williams, who played the second half despite bruising his left hand earlier in the game, was 0-for-5 in the fourth quarter. Josh Smith was 1-for-6.

Joe Johnson scored 27 points to lead the Hawks, who have dropped five of six. Smith had 12 rebounds.

Despite the big lead, Atlanta seemed to lack confidence.

"Even when we're up, our body language says we're losing," Smith said. "We shouldn't feel that way."

Johnson looked at injured teammate Tyronn Lue, who was not in uniform, and wondered aloud if the Hawks were headed for trouble.

"I told T-Lue before the fourth quarter started that coming into this quarter you never know what to expect," Johnson said. "Just that quickly, we lost the lead."

• Premium Member

I don't think JSmoove ever liked Marvin too much.

I remember JSmoove saying we ought to draft either Bogut or Deron. (No Marvin)...

Quote:

Jesse (Hampton): If the hawks got the #1 pick in the draft who would you want them to draft?

Josh Smith: Either the Bogut kid from Utah or the Deron Williams kid from Illinois.

The fact that JSmoove sees himself as being a Sf means that he probably sees Marvin as competing for his minutes... especially seeing that Shelden plays PF well.

all i know is that the LEAST of their concerns should be playing time and competition over it...when they start winning some games and they're all so good they don't know who to play, THEN they can start bickering over playing time.

but right now i don't want to hear a peep out of any players about playing time, if they're not helping us win games.

• Premium Member

The funny thing about Hawksquawk is that we say what they probably think...

I'm sure that Smoove has contemplated in his head that with Al, himself, and Chillz there, why would they go out and draft another Sf with the #2 pick overall.

The only answer is " he must be something special".

When it turns out that he's not that special, I'm sure it leads to some feelings of anger.

Just like here.

Quote:

This was the first that I've heard of it. I didn't read anything on the AJC about it. I was shocked that MW was involved, and that is why I posted the article here. I did read in the AJC that Woodson is going to shake up the starting lineup before tonight's game. I get a feeling that we will be seeing a lot more Solomon and Shelden tonight.

If it comes down to a choice between their number one draft choice and Woody, who do you think they will stand by? No brainer there.

It is odd that we haven't heard anything of this? Could be Sekou on his holiday and out of touch. Could be that it has been blown out of proportion, or it could be something that did not get a lot of attention here. If it is the latter, it could be the beginning of the end for Woody. For his ex home town to being saying this . . . . writing is on the wall?

Marvin had a meltdown/tantrum last season.

He needs to grow up in a hurry. The guy says he feels no pressure and it is evidenced. He has no hurry to exercise his abundant talents on the court. We have a team that needs to GROW UP. Marvin buckled last year aftyer coach demanded more from him. We as a team need more now, Marvin.

It aint all on Woody.