NFL Draft

DrReality

DB is certainly an area of need.

Here is how I see it in terms of draft needs:

1. DB- a corner if Williams gets moved to safety, or a safety if the coaches keep Williams at corner.

2. A big OT. We need a space eater on the outside that can slow down the rush. A better Right-side tackle will help the passing game tremendously.

3. A rushing DE. I know we have Abe and Kerney, but both were out most of the year and our rush suffered. Another guy that can rotate in would really help.

4. Guard. We need a road grader in there to go with Coach P's power run game.

5. A BIG tailback. We need a 230-245 lb. tailback that can get 3 yards between the tackles just by moving the pile.

The above list is pretty much the order of need that I see.

I don't buy that we need another wide out through the draft. We have two young receivers who are still learning. Wideout should be taken care of via FA. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Falcons draft Bush out of Lousville in the 2nd round. He is a Coach P player and knows the offense. Plus he is that big back that the Falcons need.

1) Offensive Line

This is most important for a few reasons. First, we need to pass protect for Vick to be effective. Second, Petrino's offense will require a bigger OL if it's going to be effective. Third, this will help us with clock control, red-zone scoring, and drive-killing sacks/turnovers. I would draft an OT (Brown or Thomas) at the #10. There are several good OG's that could be had in the 2nd round, too.

2) DE

Kerney is probably going to walk, because he's past his prime and the Falcons won't pay him what he will demand. Even if he returns, Abraham is injury prone, so it is ESSENTIAL that we add another starting-quality player at the DE.

3) DB

The secondary became a joke toward the end of last season. Mora's buddy Webster should not have been in the league the last 3 years, but now he's gone (thank God). We mostly need a FS who excels in pass coverage. Laron Landry is probably the best choice at #10.

4) WR

Many folks have this higher, but I feel our WR's are not nearly so bad as they showed last year. I think we ran a stupid offensive scheme and the whole passing game suffered. We still don't have a "game-breaker", but if Finneran comes back and Jenkins/White continue to develop, the corps looks adequate. I would only draft here if we had a shot at Calvin Johnson (or another WR is deemed to be a game-breaker).

5) RB

Dunn is gone after this year, and who knows how effective he will be in a power-running scheme. It is essential that we get a big RB for Petrino's scheme. Bush in the low 2nd/high 3rd would be a very good choice.

I expect the Falcons to trade Schaub for a 1st rounder. Then, I expect the draft to shake out like this:

1st: Laron Landry (or a FS)

1st: Brown/Thomas (or other OT)

2nd: OG/RB (Bush)

3rd: RB/OG/DE

4th-7th: DE/LB/QB/WR

Would not be surprised to see the Falcons chose either Okoye (DT) or Ginn (WR) in the first round, depending on where the pick is they get for Schaub.

I fully expect them to take Landry at the #10 (or the UF FS)

sign me up too!

Great thing about the NFL draft is that there are so many rounds and so many potentially good players out there. A sharp coach/GM tandem can make up a lot of ground in one good draft.

I'm not too comfortable with Hartwell at MLB either so we may want to pick up at least a combo linebacker in case he's injured again.

I don't see the Falcons trading Schaub just to move up. He's worth a 1st rounder. I expect him to be moved for a 1st rounder, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Minn. make the deal with their #7 overall.

Also, if the Falcons want to move up to get CJ, they should aim for #3. QB's will go 1 and 2.

To move up from 10 to 3 should not cost a starting quality NFL QB. I think a 2nd rounder is a fair price for moving up 7 spots. Definitely if we get the #7 we can move up to #3 for a 2nd.

• Moderators

Quote:

What did we give to move up to get Vick?

It's about the same type deal in my mind!

We gave up a speedy WR/kick returner; the #5 pick; and (I think) some combination of 2nd and 3rd rounders in that draft and the following year's draft.

Notably, the deal is often described as trading Drew Brees and LT for Vick but Brees was taken with the Charger's second round pick - not anything we gave to them.

I think the needs for Atl are

1-OL

2-OL

3-OL

4-DE if Kerney walks(Charles Johnson)

5-Safety

6-Big RB(Bush)

7-ILB

The ol must be improved if we are to become an elite team. I like Forney and Mclure and to a lesser extent Weiner. I would be very happy with Landry at 10 and Bush in the 2nd. I would LOVE to get our hands on Charles Johnson, the big bully, but I dont see it happening.

I wish we had the luxury of trading Shaub for some 1st day picks. That would make our draft. Whatever we do I trust McKay to get the right people here.

I just saw a mock that had Branch falling to the falcons at 10. If he fell, wow, what a break for atl. I loved grady jackson but he is aging and may not be back anyway. This would be huge pick for the falcons. We were pretty good against the run last year and aweful against the pass so it would make sense that atl draft the best db here but I dont think they could pass on branch. 6'6 331 wow. This will definitley ease the loss of kerney. Babbineaux(sp) could move outside to replace kerney and carrington didnt do a bad job either. I have said that there were 3 players I really wanted atl to draft...Joe Thomas, Calvin Johnson, and Alan Branch. Cross your fingers guys and hope and pray this guy does fall to us just like deangelo did a couple fo years ago.

Quote:

I don't see the Falcons trading Schaub just to move up. He's worth a 1st rounder. I expect him to be moved for a 1st rounder, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Minn. make the deal with their #7 overall.

Also, if the Falcons want to move up to get CJ, they should aim for #3. QB's will go 1 and 2.

To move up from 10 to 3 should not cost a starting quality NFL QB. I think a 2nd rounder is a fair price for moving up 7 spots. Definitely if we get the #7 we can move up to #3 for a 2nd.

You think Schaub will bring that much? Seems high, but then that depends upon how desperate the other team is for a QB. That would be a good return on our investment.

• Moderators

Quote:

I think the needs for Atl are

1-OL

2-OL

3-OL

4-DE if Kerney walks(Charles Johnson)

5-Safety

6-Big RB(Bush)

7-ILB

The ol must be improved if we are to become an elite team. I like Forney and Mclure and to a lesser extent Weiner. I would be very happy with Landry at 10 and Bush in the 2nd. I would LOVE to get our hands on Charles Johnson, the big bully, but I dont see it happening.

I wish we had the luxury of trading Shaub for some 1st day picks. That would make our draft. Whatever we do I trust McKay to get the right people here.

I could not agree more. OL has to be our top need - especially after cutting ties with Alex Gibbs.

I can't wait to see how much our pass blocking improves with some bigger linemen.

Quote:

Quote:

You think Schaub will bring that much? Seems high, but then that depends upon how desperate the other team is for a QB. That would be a good return on our investment.

I asked Mort about trading Schaub for a 1st rounder and his reply was it's unlikely they'd get it. NFL heads are very regimented in their thinking. Schaub was a 3rd round pick and NFL GM's still remember that.

I don't agree with it seeing as how Atlanta has groomed this guy for 3 years but that's how the thinking goes.