• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Shelden and Marvin Williams: Two Most Hated Hawks

BusBoyIsBack

I don't think it's a coincidence that these two players are the most hated on the team and why our GM is hated so much. I think there is a direct correlation.

It can't be our record. Despite the horrific start season before last, we doubled our win total. This past season, despite losing players due to injury all year long we still managed to get to 30 wins. Keeping in mind a year ago we were the youngest team in NBA history.

I actually think it's because people hate the picks that BK has made in Shelden and Marvin Williams and neither have even been given close to a chance to succeed.

Marvin Williams- Last season was his first season as a starter since his senior year in high school and he didn't even get to start the season because of an injury that kept him out for over a month and hindered his performance in the recovery.

Is that really enough time to determine what a player will amount to?

Shelden Williams- Let all rookies in RPG and helped our interior defense rank top 5 in the league before being hindered by a shoulder injury that lasted just about the rest of the season.

Is that really enough time either?

Despite the injuries and short amount of time given by the detractors both players produced when they were given a chance. Shelden finished the season tops among all rookies in RPG and double doubles and Marvin finished with a solid 12/5 average on the season as he continues to improve his numbers just about every month of his career.

Yet for some reason there is no optimism about these two progressing in the future.

These two are BK's two most hated picks and the two the Hawks nation have shown no patience with whatsoever.

Well ironically I think both pieces will play a major role next year as we make the playoffs and in doing so BK will be proving his doubters wrong as well.

What did we pass on for those two? Brandon Roy and Chris Paul correct?

Well let's see how Brandon Roy/Chris Paul measure up against Acie Law and Shelden and Marvin Williams on the rise next year.

Nice Post and right on the money. Marvin Williams has done nothing but improve in the last two seasons. He is growing into the player everyone thought he would. Sheldon played very well while healthy and did the things this team needs so bad. Rebound and be a physical presence in the paint. These guys are only going to get better but as you said there is so much hate BECAUSE people want the Hawks to be a fantasy bball team. They see Roys stats and think it would automatically translate to the Hawks. However there is no way Roy could put up those #'s with a healthy JJ, no way. I can understand the argument for Paul but why so quick to judge like Marv is alreay a failure. He is in no way shape or form a bust. There is no way someone can prove that Marv wont pass Paul over as a player and star. If Paul were so great then why arent the Hornets? Dont talk about him like he is Magic Johnson. Dont talk about him like we cant draft a guy who can do what he does and actually be able to defend as well. Paul is a good pg and Im not trying to down play that. However theres a long way to go to see who the better pick was.

Guest Walter

Yes, MW and SW represent BK's incompetence, particularly SW who BK promised for absolutely no imaginably good reason. Yes, they aren't NEARLY as good as their comperable draft counterparts. No, they don't measure up to their draft position. No amount of wishing, wanting, and otherwise fan "optimism" changes these facts. Are they horrible, "busts"? SW is pretty close, but no. Are they symbols of GM incompetence? Most definitely.

They've earned their criticisms and frankly, I believe they (Childress some too) get a pass here. My friends who follow other teams just shake their heads and/or laugh at these picks. Both for the obvious reasons that we missed out on Iggy/Deng, Paul/Deron, or Roy and that neither pick makes a lick of sense, but also because we've done it in consecutive years. The fact that we've passed on two R.O.Y. for these guys isn't lost on them.

May they develop and be wonderful, but until then can we fire BK and hold them accountable for uninspired if not poor play?

W

But how can you say that they are bad picks just because Roy and Paul were ROY?

Damon Stoudemire was lights out as a rookie but he isn't exactly future HOFer right now is he?

Keith Van Horn was lights out his first 3 years in the league, how did he turn out?

Judging these players so soon is not fair or logical.

Like I said, if we pass on Acie Law or if Mike Conley somehow falls and we draft another SF then you can lash out at BK.

But the fact still remains we were a desperate 13 win team looking for a star player and Marvin Williams had the most star potential.

Then we were a team with more of an identity but with the worst interior defense in the NBA so we took the most polished interior defender.

Both of those picks made senes and both can still pan out.

But if we don't take a 1 or 5 this year then there is no logical explanation.

So wait to see what he does with that pick barring Indy winning the lottery.

Quote:

The fact anyone can call 12/5, truly mediocre numbers, "solid" from the number two pick in the entire draft is just mind boggling to me. We really have come to accept mediocrity as a fanbase.

Well it's funny because Josh Smith averaged 11/6 last year. Using your logic he would have never blossomed.

Point is that Marvin has shown some flashes of greatness just like Josh did his first couple of years in the league.

Only difference is that Josh had an extra year to put it all together.

Were you one of the ones saying what Smoove would never amount to? That he was just a ticket seller?

Let's see what Marvin does in that third year before we call him a bust.

Quote:

The fact anyone can call 12/5, truly mediocre numbers, "solid" from the number two pick in the entire draft is just mind boggling to me. We really have come to accept mediocrity as a fanbase.

13.1 and 5.3 as a first time starter in the Nba. So you really think he will average 12 and 5 his whole damn career??

fryingpan.gif

Quote:

Shelden and Marvin Williams: Two Most Hated Hawks

I would say that the word 'hated' is pretty over the top. Both players were controversial picks, both remain controversial picks, but I am quite sure that no one on this board 'hates' them personally. And I am also sure (or at least would damn well hope) that all Hawks fans wish nothing but the best for these players, for obvious reasons. We would all love to have them blossom into great players and help us develop into a winning team.

It's a very divisive topic, precisely because those were such controversial picks in light of all the circumstances surrounding both of them. I mean I have questions and issues with Bk's decisions in both cases too, but nonetheless I always hope the best for the Williams boys... and I do agree with you that some people are far too quick to jump the gun and issue these 'definitive' judgments on these players based on nothing more than personal opinions. The internet allows people to make these instantaneous rushes to judgment like nothing else ever has before, but the reality is that it is wicked premature to try and stick either one of these players into a box, or pretend like they're maxed-out or that we know how high or low their potential might be. It's still too early to label either one of them, as they are both still developing players. I don't know how that could be any more clear.

It's all just opinion anyways. No one knows what's going to happen. I just hope for the best. What else can ya do? confused.gif

Quote:

Quote:

13.1 and 5.3 as a first time starter in the Nba. So you really think he will average 12 and 5 his whole damn career??

fryingpan.gif

Yeah, i mean, look at Rashard Lewis' 2nd year in the league. Probably the most comparable player to Marvin IMO. 'nuff said.

whassup yall

I don't think Marvin and Shelden are the most hated. Personally my most hated is Blo Wright. He mailed in the season and got $3 million for it.

Marvin's and Shelden's are the most vocal and some of the posters here don't seem to realize that these guys didn't pick themselves, they were picked by BK.

• Premium Member

It's not about the player, it's about the promise??

I think you just hate BK's arrogance and have transposed that hate on Shelden. It's not SHelden's fault that BK didn't work him out. So why are you holding that against Shelden?

Here's one more thing:

If we got lucky, won the lottery and made Oden a promise that he was going #1 and there was no need for him to workout with us, how would you feel???

Would you piss and moan because we didn't workout Yianlian or Wright? Would you piss and moan because Durant was never given a chance?

• Moderators

Quote:

I think you just hate BK's arrogance and have transposed that hate on Shelden. It's not SHelden's fault that BK didn't work him out. So why are you holding that against Shelden?

Here's one more thing:

If we got lucky, won the lottery and made Oden a promise that he was going #1 and there was no need for him to workout with us, how would you feel???

Would you piss and moan because we didn't workout Yianlian or Wright? Would you piss and moan because Durant was never given a chance?

I would still complain that this is a stupid decision for all the reasons I've previously stated (such as maximizing your scouting, making connections with other players, etc.)

• Premium Member

And you'd be one angry man in a sea of happy Hawks fans.

When you have 6 Sfs a logjam at Sf and your team sucks on defense because of your Center play...

and you're in a position to get the best defensive Center prospect to come out since Tim Duncan.. You take the Center and you don't look back.

I'd give Oden a physical, but why waste time with scouting him???

Even if CHarlotte offers us Durant and Okafor for Oden... I'm not budging.

Quote:

And you'd be one angry man in a sea of happy Hawks fans.

When you have 6 Sfs a logjam at Sf and your team sucks on defense because of your Center play...

and you're in a position to get the best defensive Center prospect to come out since Tim Duncan.. You take the Center and you don't look back.

I'd give Oden a physical, but why waste time with scouting him???

Even if CHarlotte offers us Durant and Okafor for Oden... I'm not budging.

This isn't an accuarate comparison. It's a NO BRAINER to take Oden/Durant 1/2 in this draft. It was not the same with Shelden, who was not considered BPA as Oden/Durant are.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Both are bad. I do not understand either decision. Both, very bad decisions. Had you read more than one sentence you would realize my position. Too bad you didn't.

W

Guest Walter

Quote:

Yeah, i mean, look at Rashard Lewis' 2nd year in the league. Probably the most comparable player to Marvin IMO. 'nuff said.

Assuming Marvin becomes even "RL-good", Paul and Deron are better players and would impact our team more given we have JS and still no Pg.

Lewis was a mid 2nd rder.

W