• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What makes you think Gasol or others want to come

Joker

here. All of them have much better options then the Hawks, most of ya'll have the tendenices to badly overrate the Hawks because you wouldn't be a fan if you seen reality. This team is awful, the worst in basketball, no one wants to play in Atlanta, not Gasol, not JO, they all want to go to a winner, not the Hawks. The best way for this team to go is to draft a franchise player and hope he turns out better then thought.

• Premium Member

Well, in trade, it won't be Gasol or JO's choice.

The only player with choice is Lewis and we don't want him.

I think Gasol's just ready for a change of scenary period. I think Gasol would love playing with JJ and JSmoove. Call it a hunch.

Quote:

Well, in trade, it won't be Gasol or JO's choice.

The only player with choice is Lewis and we don't want him.

I think Gasol's just ready for a change of scenary period. I think Gasol would love playing with JJ and JSmoove. Call it a hunch.

Once again, you live with these Atlanta binders on, no want wants to come here, no one think highly of JJ or JS, people respect Joe but don't think of him as a star, just Hawk fans. That the biggest problem with many on this site, they live in fantasy island, thinking players on this team is much better then players on others, using potienial to desrcibe now but now to decrsibe players on other teams or using what others fans say as the final word. This site is so bogus in many ways and living in a NBA2k island is one of the many problems fans here have. Reality check post:

JJ is a great role player, can be a marginal all star at times, is not better then Steve Smith, quit the wishful thinking saying he a star or gonna be a star, he not gonna get much better then he already is.

Josh Smith just isn't that good, he has much too many flaws to be a star or solid player in this league. If he ever changed his game up to being a defensive catalyst, he would be good but he will not do that in Atlanta, he feels he bigger then this team and he needs to go. He is not gonna be a superstar, he not on the same level or ever will be with most all star level players, he not so good that Bogut is a joke, Bogut is better then Smith, and stat wise the trade could possibly happen.

Marvin Williams can really be a great role player, but he not gonna be Deron or Paul and that angers many of you who jumped on the hype train and now are hating on him. He will be a valuble piece to Atlanta in a couple of years.

Josh Childress is a good role player and could be great, he does so much well but nothing really great, he great off the ball let me take that back. He has all the tools and IQ to be a great role player.

Zaza sucks, nothing more needs to be said, he at times shows flashes, he was better last year then this year.

Anthony Johnson is a good player, I know he get s!#tted on becuase of his age. It hard for any PG to play in Atlanta, lack of offensive movement, lack of go to players, lack of IQ and youth. It was a diffcult transition from Indy and Dallas. He is good, and will teach Acie Law alot before Acie takes the reign.

That about it, I watched about 40- 50 Hawks games and I know them like the lyrics to my fav. song. I'm not unrealistic with these guys, I watch every team play often and I get a good sense of what all the teams play like.

• Premium Member

Once, again, you make too many assumptions.

I didn't say that JJ was a star. I said that Gasol would love playing with JJ and JSmoove. Gasol went to the playoffs with Stoudamire, Miller, Lo, and Battier. While those are good guys, there was nobody there to take the pressure off of Gasol. Say what you want about JJ, in the halfcourt with the ball in his hands, teams know who he is and what he can do. Moreover, JJ was a top scorer this year with a high FG%. Playing SG, he shot damn near 50%... That's great. Gasol would love a guy who can get the ball and score half the time he shoots it. Then there's Smoove. A second Shotblocker. A better shotblocker. A shotblocker who can roam and add help defense. Gasol would love that. That's not being Atlanta minded, that's being realistic. That cast that Gasol carried to the playoffs were a mediocre bunch in comparison to what's here. That mediocrity is why Gasol wants out.

We're all Hawks fans here, and the majority of us saw 40-50 games if not more as well. I really think you sell Josh Smith short. He most certainly has star potential, and he most certainly still has holes in his game. But if you watched 40-50 games surely you saw the improvement in his game from the beginning of the season to the end. He is still a bit out of control, but he will settle in soon, the move to PF was a good one for him. Also I think this stuff about his attitude is being blown out of proportion. He has his outbreaks sure, but the guy truly wants to bring winning to Atlanta. To want that and to go out and lose at the rate we have has to be frustrating.

With that said, back to the original topic. Do any of those players have trade veto options? If not then I don't see why theres an issue if they want to come here or not. If they get traded they have no option but to come here. This isn't the same Hawks as it was when Rasheed came over, we have talent and can be playoff caliber with a few moves this off season. An up and coming team with playoff aspirations is something a lot of players want to be a part of. We have a more promising future than Memphis or Indiana if we acquire Gasol/JO and add a PG with our remaining draft pick.

Quote:

I hate to think that you wasted that rant for nothing, but you still miss the point...

Gasol and O'Neal would have no choice in coming here.

Would they play here or play hard, they can BS like JT, Diaw did when they was here, if your not happy, your not going play hard.

Players that bs'd Atlanta in recent years:

Al Harrington

Payton

Sheed

Diaw

JT

K. Martin

Larry Hughes

and more, that's just few, no want wants to come here, and when I watch them I see why, this team isn't any good, they have a few good pieces but are missing major pieces to the puzzles. Joe Johnson was overpaid badly, you can't justify it, you pay someone that much, they better produce on the win column as well, he basically has Keith Van Horn impact when KVH was on the NJ Nets. That's the only way you can sign somebody and that's a reach now that the Hawks don't have much cap room. When people are unhappy they play with less fire, ex. Randy Moss and that would happen if the Hawks traded for one of those guys. You guys are so blind, it is not hard to see.

(((JJ is a great role player, can be a marginal all star at times, is not better then Steve Smith, quit the wishful thinking. ))))))

I stopped reading after i saw that.

What makes u think Steve Smith was better than JJ??

JJ is a the better 3pt shooter

JJ has a better midrange game

JJ is a much better playmaker/ gets ohers involved.

JJ IS a better assit man

JJ is a better defender

Joe might have had more 30pt games in the last 2 years than S.Smith had in his entire career

ball-handing is about even

Steve Smith had a better post game

I'm not a Smitty hater.He was my favorite Hawks player from 1993/1994-1998/1999

but JJ is just better.

Quote:

Once, again, you make too many assumptions.

I didn't say that JJ was a star. I said that Gasol would love playing with JJ and JSmoove. Gasol went to the playoffs with Stoudamire, Miller, Lo, and Battier. While those are good guys, there was nobody there to take the pressure off of Gasol. Say what you want about JJ, in the halfcourt with the ball in his hands, teams know who he is and what he can do. Moreover, JJ was a top scorer this year with a high FG%. Playing SG, he shot damn near 50%... That's great. Gasol would love a guy who can get the ball and score half the time he shoots it. Then there's Smoove. A second Shotblocker. A better shotblocker. A shotblocker who can roam and add help defense. Gasol would love that. That's not being Atlanta minded, that's being realistic. That cast that Gasol carried to the playoffs were a mediocre bunch in comparison to what's here. That mediocrity is why Gasol wants out.

Not you, that post was to many of the members on here, not just you. You can't use stats to prove JJ impact, people didn't take the Hawks serious so in retrospect didn't take JJ serious as well. You say Josh Smith is a shotblocker but alot of his blocks aren't true blocks, there usually mistake blocks or just jumping at any chance he gets. And Gasol loving Atlanta is not being realistic, it's living in a fantasy world, believe me on that one. That case the was in the playoffs was lightyears better then the Hawks are now, they had talent at each position and depth as well. That team was much better then the Hawks, hell there bench was better then are starters.

http://www.nba.com/preview2004/mem.html

What is here is no talent, great athletic abitity but on a overall team level, no talent.

Quote:

(((JJ is a great role player, can be a marginal all star at times, is not better then Steve Smith, quit the wishful thinking. ))))))

nba's take: true

nba's take: flase

nba's take: totally flase, Smith team had Mookie, Deke and others, JJ doesn't play teams who take him serious. You are not being logical or even smart.

JJ IS a better assit man

nba's take: numbers say yes, when I watched them I say even.

JJ is a better defender

nba's take: I'll take Steve on this one.

Joe might have had more 30pt games in the last 2 years than S.Smith had in his entire career

nba's take: and this proves what, did you even watch Smitty.

but JJ is just better.

your living in hindslight, blind to the past like many on here, it's whatever.

Quote:

We're all Hawks fans here, and the majority of us saw 40-50 games if not more as well. I really think you sell Josh Smith short. He most certainly has star potential, and he most certainly still has holes in his game. But if you watched 40-50 games surely you saw the improvement in his game from the beginning of the season to the end. He is still a bit out of control, but he will settle in soon, the move to PF was a good one for him. Also I think this stuff about his attitude is being blown out of proportion. He has his outbreaks sure, but the guy truly wants to bring winning to Atlanta. To want that and to go out and lose at the rate we have has to be frustrating.

With that said, back to the original topic. Do any of those players have trade veto options? If not then I don't see why theres an issue if they want to come here or not. If they get traded they have no option but to come here. This isn't the same Hawks as it was when Rasheed came over, we have talent and can be playoff caliber with a few moves this off season. An up and coming team with playoff aspirations is something a lot of players want to be a part of. We have a more promising future than Memphis or Indiana if we acquire Gasol/JO and add a PG with our remaining draft pick.

I don't sell him short and never have, my personal opinions don't conflict with his basketball skills he has. I rate him like I see him, it's just the facts, I try not to stray from them. It's clear when I read the first paragragh you watch the ball and not the entire set of what both teams are doing, the vibes from others or the Hawks are doing. Just watch the entire play.

He has his outbreaks sure, but the guy truly wants to bring winning to Atlanta. - lines like this are totally based on by your own opinion, it's not factual at all, but lets move on.

They don't have the talent, I seen 29 other teams with more talent then the Hawks.

Quote:

JJ IS a better assit man

JJ is a better defender

but JJ is just better.

Steve Smith had a higher basketball IQ, had the ability to get to the FT line, could postup other players. JJ as a scorer is a one trick pony.

If JJ's jumpshot is not falling, then what? He don't have a postup game and nobody really fears him off the dribble I don't think.

Quote:

I don't sell him short and never have, my personal opinions don't conflict with his basketball skills he has. I rate him like I see him, it's just the facts, I try not to stray from them. It's clear when I read the first paragragh you watch the ball and not the entire set of what both teams are doing, the vibes from others or the Hawks are doing. Just watch the entire play.

He has his outbreaks sure, but the guy truly wants to bring winning to Atlanta. - lines like this are totally based on by your own opinion, it's not factual at all, but lets move on.

They don't have the talent, I seen 29 other teams with more talent then the Hawks.

I fail to see how your personal evaluation of him is any more "factual" than my evaluation of him. How can you come to the conclusion from my first paragraph that I only watch one player and not the entire team when I am basing my evaluation of Josh Smith on him improved court vision, passing, defensive (yes 1 on 1 has improved), help defense, and moving without the ball among other things..involve a team concept and not an individual concept.

Lines like that are not based on my opinion, saying that he wants to win in Atlanta is based on direct quotes from Josh Smith, and saying that losing when you want to win is frustrating is common sense.

The Hawks have a ton of talent on their team, but lack it in the key position of PG/C which really holds the team back. We're not a balanced team in the least, but there is talent here.

You seem to try and pass off your opinions as factual, while condemning everyone else as opinion based.

---It's only three games, but for the long-suffering Hawks, any winning record -- even 2-1 -- is notable.

"I know it doesn't mean nothing, but it means a lot to us," said Hawks forward Josh Smith.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/gamecenter/r...0061105_ORL@ATL

Many similar quotes can be found with a few mins of googleing post game quotes from him. Or listening to the announcers speak about Josh Smith and his desire to win during the 70 or so broadcast during the year. (Not every game was televised)

I started watching the Hawks right before the all star break, and I was in no way a fan at that time. The first thing that I noticed (and vocalized) was something along the lines of Joe Johnson being the most underrated star in the league.

He has good ball handling skills for his position, amazing body control, can drive through traffic when it looks like there's no seam, can score from anywhere, and is surprisingly humble and unselfish given the team he was stuck playing on last season.

I think there are players that do get overrated by Hawks fans. For instance, JS is a great young player and makes great plays, but he still hurts the Hawks in certain areas like match-up defense and his attitude issues. He's really not on the same level as JJ, who has one of the best all around games in the eastern conference.

Quote:

Quote:

I fail to see how your personal evaluation of him is any more "factual" than my evaluation of him. How can you come to the conclusion from my first paragraph that I only watch one player and not the entire team when I am basing my evaluation of Josh Smith on him improved court vision, passing, defensive (yes 1 on 1 has improved), help defense, and moving without the ball among other things..involve a team concept and not an individual concept.

Lines like that are not based on my opinion, saying that he wants to win in Atlanta is based on direct quotes from Josh Smith, and saying that losing when you want to win is frustrating is common sense.

The Hawks have a ton of talent on their team, but lack it in the key position of PG/C which really holds the team back. We're not a balanced team in the least, but there is talent here.

You seem to try and pass off your opinions as factual, while condemning everyone else as opinion based.

---It's only three games, but for the long-suffering Hawks, any winning record -- even 2-1 -- is notable.

"I know it doesn't mean nothing, but it means a lot to us," said Hawks forward Josh Smith.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/gamecenter/r...0061105_ORL@ATL

Many similar quotes can be found with a few mins of googleing post game quotes from him. Or listening to the announcers speak about Josh Smith and his desire to win during the 70 or so broadcast during the year. (Not every game was televised)

I don't know how you got that from what I was saying but whatever. As for the wanted to win comment, I heard many players say they want to win, hell what player wants to to lose, but it wishful thinking, thinking he good and promising of his words. Remember that when Boston was losing all those games, they said that they want to win too. Also, you say he has improved, but if you only get slighty better and your not any good from jump street what the purpose, I bet you, that you didn't know that Harold Miner was getting better year after year too, but when the improvement was not going at a high enuff rate, teams cut ties with him and left him without a job. Josh Smith improvment needs to be at a very high rate from when he came into the league, he came in not as good as many of his draftmates but had more athleticism and was fast for his size. He never played big nor was his awareness or shot selection any good. As a coach you are trying to change that but when a player is too confident, that easier said then done, anyone can say something but it's different to actually do it. You act like the PG position has Emmanuel Davis still there, it has AJ, and he proven he can play good in this league from his time with Indy and is better then anyone of this team not named Joe. Center is the weak position of the NBA, it's the only position that currently has no superstars and that's leaguewide, not just in Atlanta. When watch him, I DON'T SEE THE DESIRE YOUR TALKING ABOUT, in most games he is lollygaging down the court and hanging around the three point line, like he Sheed or Okur. His attuiude on the court is similar to Lebron James with much less of the talent that Bron has.

Quote:

I don't know how you got that from what I was saying but whatever. As for the wanted to win comment, I heard many players say they want to win, hell what player wants to to lose, but it wishful thinking, thinking he good and promising of his words. Remember that when Boston was losing all those games, they said that they want to win too. Also, you say he has improved, but if you only get slighty better and your not any good from jump street what the purpose, I bet you, that you didn't know that Harold Miner was getting better year after year too, but when the improvement was not going at a high enuff rate, teams cut ties with him and left him without a job. Josh Smith improvment needs to be at a very high rate from when he came into the league, he came in not as good as many of his draftmates but had more athleticism and was fast for his size. He never played big nor was his awareness or shot selection any good. As a coach you are trying to change that but when a player is too confident, that easier said then done, anyone can say something but it's different to actually do it. You act like the PG position has Emmanuel Davis still there, it has AJ, and he proven he can play good in this league from his time with Indy and is better then anyone of this team not named Joe. Center is the weak position of the NBA, it's the only position that currently has no superstars and that's leaguewide, not just in Atlanta. When watch him, I DON'T SEE THE DESIRE YOUR TALKING ABOUT, in most games he is lollygaging down the court and hanging around the three point line, like he Sheed or Okur. His attuiude on the court is similar to Lebron James with much less of the talent that Bron has.

It's apparent that your mind is made up on Smoove and that in no way am I going to change that, but to deny that Smoove has improved his game since the time he entered the league is just ignorant. He was 2nd in the league in bpg this year. Just in this year alone he improved his PPG and RPG every month (in jan his rpg dipped just a bit as he came back from injury). His bpg after the first month hovered around 2.8-3 per game. He led the league in steals+blocks per game.

His scoring, rebounding, assist, blocks, steals all went up every year he's played in the league. His ppg has increased by 7pg (up to 16.4), his apg by 1.6 (to 3.3), his rebounds by 2.4 (up to 8.6), his blocks by 1 (up to 2.9), and his steals by .6 (up to 1.4).

With a stat line of 16.4/8.6/3.3/2.9/1.4 (points/rebounds/assist/blocks/steals) he is one of the best all around players in the game at the age of 21. He needs to improve on his consistency (fg %) which will come with better shot selection and thus maturity, and he needs to control his emotions better which should also come with maturity. To say he hasn't improved since coming into the league (or trying to undermine that improvement by saying he was sub par when entering the league) is to ignore the statistically and observational evidence.

JJ does have a post game.Smitty's post game was just better.

We should give the ball to him more offen in the post.

JJ beat guys off the dribble way more than Steve Smith Did.

He doesn't get to the line alot because he shoots alot of floaters when he drive.

Steve Smith never had to face as many doulbe an triple teams as JJ.

I know a numbers of times teams would double team or triple team JJ as he touched the ball,even if he was well behind the 3pt line.

Smitty never had to deal with that.

Quote:

Quote:

JJ IS a better assit man

JJ is a better defender

but JJ is just better.

Steve Smith had a higher basketball IQ, had the ability to get to the FT line, could postup other players. JJ as a scorer is a one trick pony.

If JJ's jumpshot is not falling, then what? He don't have a postup game and nobody really fears him off the dribble I don't think.

I aw Steve Smith at Michigan State and Miami before coming to the HAwks.

JJ is a better player than Smith ever was. JJ just does not have Mookie and Mutombo. We forget how good a PF combo GHenderson and Latenner were, Latener was an all star and Hendu won come back player of the year to for us.

Smith had some real talent on his sqad that JJ does not have the luxury of.

Quote:

no one think highly of JJ or JS, people respect Joe but don't think of him as a star, just Hawk fans.

"Joe Johnson is one of the most underrated players in the league. It seems like he made every shot." -Kevin Garnett

He sounds like he thinks pretty highly of Joe.

Basically if you don't agree with nbasuperstar, you will be labeled a "homer." If you aren't an ATL fan, he will say you don't know enough about the situation to have an informed opinion. In other words, only nbasuperstar knows the real truth.