• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would anyone be more interested in Marion over Pau

Bulldog

We could do Speedy, Chill and Zaza for him. Then pick up Kurt Thomas / Magloire / Webber via free agency to man the middle. I think Marion is massively under-rated and a great player who fills up the stats in every category. We could still then draft a power guy at the #3 and PG at #11. I suppose some of you will say - no take Yi / Horford anyway and dont give up those pieces. But just wondering whether people might consider this over a Pau trade? He is a legit all-star.

But this would mean a AJ/Law, JJ, Marion, Smoove/Horford (or Yi), Shelden/Thomas starting 5

I think Marion is way OVERRATED. He is a product of playing with Steve Nash. He has no real offensive game other than getting putbacks and dunks. His shot is awful looking. Has no low post game to speak of and couldn't hit a mid range jumper to save his life. He does somehow hit the occasional 3 but i'm sure Phoenix fans cringe everytime he shoots from the outside. He is a good defender and rebounder no doubt but we have no room for him here. Plus his contract is outrageous! I don't want him. Smoove and Marvin are cemented as the starting forwards plus Marion is almost 30yrs old and still has no offensive game.

I don't care really. Before Nash came there Phoenix was terrible so I would expect him to still put up around 17pts a game which is what he did. Fact is he still has no offensive game! Smith, Marvin and Chill can all do what he does already at a younger age and way cheaper salary. Smith will be better than Marion anyways. Maybe Marvin too.

Quote:

I don't care really. Before Nash came there Phoenix was terrible so I would expect him to still put up around 17pts a game which is what he did. Fact is he still has no offensive game! Smith, Marvin and Chill can all do what he does already at a younger age and way cheaper salary. Smith will be better than Marion anyways. Maybe Marvin too.

You will be interested to know then that in the three years prior to Nash's arrival Marion averaged 19, 21, and 19 points per game, all while averaging over two steals, 1.5 blocks and 9 rebounds per game, and shooting over .390 from three point range in two of those three years.

You will also be interested to know that Phoenix went to the playoffs two years before Nash's arrival. So to call them terrible is a bit of a fallacy.

Now obviously Marion duplicates what the Hawks already have (i.e., forwards), so it is a moot point, but let's not make stupid statements for the sake of it.

• Premium Member

Marion is too much a duplication of Smoove and Marvin IMO. Gasol is a legit seven foot low post scorer with some mid range ability as well. Now if we could move both enough forwards to get both Marion at SF and Gasol at PF I'd be open to it but that's just NBA 2k7 talking. grin.gif

Zaza + Speedy + #11 for Marion and #29. Pau for Marvin, Lue and Lo. Then pick up the best FA PG (Brevin, Blake)

Incoming

Marion

Pau

#3 (Yi, Horford, Conley)

#29 (best available)

Outgoing

Zaza

Speedy

Marvin

Lue

Lo

A team of Brevin/AJ, JJ, Marion, Smoove, Pau is pretty nice.

We would need to be clever with the free agency though to reload with the right role players. But that is 3 all-star caliber guys.

Again I don't care what his stats show. I've seen him play enough to know that he isn't any better than what we have or will have in 2 years with Smoove and Marvin. Marion is a great player no doubt but most of his points are attributed to his hustle not his wide open 3pt attempts or lack of offensive game.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Zaza + Speedy + #11 for Marion and #29. Pau for Marvin, Lue and Lo. Then pick up the best FA PG (Brevin, Blake)

Incoming

Marion

Pau

#3 (Yi, Horford, Conley)

#29 (best available)

Outgoing

Zaza

Speedy

Marvin

Lue

Lo

A team of Brevin/AJ, JJ, Marion, Smoove, Pau is pretty nice.

We would need to be clever with the free agency though to reload with the right role players. But that is 3 all-star caliber guys.

That would be a team that could run and score a ton of points let alone probably own the EC for four or five years.

Quote:

Again I don't care what his stats show. I've seen him play enough to know that he isn't any better than what we have or will have in 2 years with Smoove and Marvin. Marion is a great player no doubt but most of his points are attributed to his hustle not his wide open 3pt attempts or lack of offensive game.

LOL . .

If Smoove could generate 8 - 10 points a game off of hustle alone, we'd be in pretty good shape right now. We'd be in good shape because he'd be close to a 20 ppg guy, who grabbed 12 - 13 rebounds a game. But Smoove is no Marion. And he may never be.

Shawn, along with Smoove, are probably one of the top 5 athletes in the entire league.

Shawn can effectively guard the 2, the 3, and the 4. He's even guarded PGs ( see Tony Parker in the playoffs vs Phoenix . . he held him to 45% FG . . 0 - 8 3FG ).

On offense, he's a better outside shooter than BOTH Smoove and Marvin.

Jumpshot eFG 06 - 07

Marion - 44.2%

Marvin - 41.5%

Smooove - 31.6%

In Shawn's 2nd year, he was already averaging 17 ppg - 10 rebs - and shooting 48%.

He's a better FT shooter than BOTH guys.

He's a better finisher on the break than BOTH guys.

He's a MUCH better on the ball defender than both guys. ( see the many All-NBA Defensive teams that he's made )

He's FASTER than both guys.

He's a lot TOUGHER than both guys.

Shawn is a sane version of Dennis Rodman . . with good offensive ability.

Having said that, I'd rather have Pau here than Shawn. But I'd trade Smoove or Marvin or Chill, to get Shawn here in a HEARTBEAT.

PG - Speedy or Law

G - JJ

F - Marion

F - Smoove

C - Shelden or ZaZa

With a healthy Speedy, and Shawn at the SF, the Hawks would have the ability to literally put a shutdown defensive group on the floor at any time. That's something that the Hawks can't say that they can do right now.

It'll be the 1996 - 97 Hawks all over again, the team that won 56 games. They were pretty boring to watch offensively, but would win games off of great defense.

Kind of reminds you of the San Antonio Spurs of this year.

Quote:

We could do Speedy, Chill and Zaza for him. Then pick up Kurt Thomas / Magloire / Webber via free agency to man the middle. I think Marion is massively under-rated and a great player who fills up the stats in every category. We could still then draft a power guy at the #3 and PG at #11. I suppose some of you will say - no take Yi / Horford anyway and dont give up those pieces. But just wondering whether people might consider this over a Pau trade? He is a legit all-star.

But this would mean a AJ/Law, JJ, Marion, Smoove/Horford (or Yi), Shelden/Thomas starting 5

Why in the hell would chris Webber come to Atlanta? He is a free agent and I think that he wants a championship. Why would he leave from a conference finals team to play for the damn Hawks?? Common Sense people!!!!