• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sekou says.

Diesel

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Hawks will make the safe, responsible pick: Al Horford.

Al Horford a 6/9 PF lottery pick to come off the bench just brillant this franchise is turning into a complete joke.

What I said last year is that Shelden only made sense if they were willing to let him play a sizable portion of his time at C.

This year, I am saying that the Hawks have lost their mind unless they plan on playing Horford at C a majority of his time or they have a trade in mind to resolve the fact that we would have 3 starting PFs in Horford, Shelden and rising star, Josh Smith.

If they see Horford as Dwight Howard/Amare Stoudamire - the pick makes sense but they better be right.

didn’t we try that Sheldon at center crap last year? I think so. And what happened? Longer more athletic player dunking on him and scoring at will. On the offensive end he could not get his shot off over taller players. He could only score off that played out up and under move and put backs. So what use is he? That is why we should not draft Horford. At 6’9 you are not going to get your shot off against 7 footers in the NBA. And at 6’9 you are not going to block a shot if a 7 footer jumps over you. Get it right man.

I'm amazed at the lengths some on here will go to demean a prospect they apparently don't want. When did Al Horford lose an inch in height and become a 6'9" player? People like Smoove will go to no ends to fabricate a bunch of crap about a player. Obviously, NBA GM's don't agree, because Al Horford is the guy everyone is trying to trade up to get.

I guess it is better to take a 7'0" face up power forward that doesn't play in the paint over a 6'10" forward/center combo that makes his living in the paint.

Quote:

I'm amazed at the lengths some on here will go to demean a prospect they apparently don't want. When did Al Horford lose an inch in height and become a 6'9" player? People like Smoove will go to no ends to fabricate a bunch of crap about a player. Obviously, NBA GM's don't agree, because Al Horford is the guy everyone is trying to trade up to get.

I guess it is better to take a 7'0" face up power forward that doesn't play in the paint over a 6'10" forward/center combo that makes his living in the paint.

So it is not o.k. to subtract 3/4" in height but it is o.k. to add 1/4"?

• Moderators

Quote:

I am not going to demean the guy - there is no reason to. I think he will be a good player.

With Shelden and Smith already on the team, though, he better be able to play center to make the pick work.

Considering that the 6'9" measurement was without shoes on combined with the fact that he plays basketball with his shoes on along with the fact that no player's listed height is without shoes, then saying that Al Horford is a 6'9" forward is a flat out lie.

Al Horford is 6'10", 244 lbs.

Quote:

Considering that the 6'9" measurement was without shoes on combined with the fact that he plays basketball with his shoes on along with the fact that no player's listed height is without shoes, then saying that Al Horford is a 6'9" forward is a flat out lie.

Then Woodson is a liar...or an idiot. I'm leaning toward idiot.

uglyhammer.gif

Horford will be a very good pro. He has everything you look for in a PF... passing, rebounding, shooting, etc. He's the complete package. It seems to me because a lot of people consider him to be the 'safe pick' that most think his upside is limited, which isn't true at all. He just turned 21, has improved greatly each season, and has an insane work ethic.

People who just look at stats and are ignorant about the situation. The worst way to judge a college player is to look at his stats, especially when he played on such a balanced and unselfish squad at Florida. In a way, that's a good thing, because he knows what it takes to win basketball games and won't whine and moan if he doesn't get a certain amount of touches a game. Just take a look at his offensive efficiency, PER, and win share if you really want to use stats... they're outstanding for Horford.

The Shelden Williams comparisons are ridiculous considering Horford is a full inch taller than him, is considerably more fluid and athletic, has a much better standing reach, and is a MUCH better passer and shooter than Shelden. The two are nothing alike.

Quote:

Who is lieing now? He is not 6'10" - He is 6'9.75".

Quote:

6'9 3/4 is closer to 6'10 than 6'9.

That is not the point. KB was getting wound up about someone "lieing" in understating Horford's measurements only to overstate his measurements in the same sentence.

I was pointing out his contradiction.

Plus, if Horford switches to a different brand of shoes he may be 6'9.5" in shoes which means both sides are equally right.

Quote:

The problem is that you play basketball with your hands, not your head. Horfords standing reach is an inch shorter than Marvin, only .5" higher than Smith. Not exactly what you want in a center.