• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

For all the people complaining

Admin

• Admin

honestly the best move was to trade the picks for established players (pgs and post presence).

We now have to wait for 2 more guys to develop (if they do at all).

We have JJ and some young talent already. It is time to bring in veterans that can make an impact.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Had we taken Conley at 3, who would we have taken at 11? There was nobody there worth taking since we already would have taken a PG. I'm not thrilled with Law at this point but going Horford first was the right move.

...about BK before and this is no different. You'll here talk about "BPA" this and that, but when it comes down to it Knight is probably one of the worst BPA talent evaluators. This was an attempt at saving his own ass. This draft was all about BK saving his ass. Last year's pick, SW, was the same for Woody I thought. Would have been if our ownership had ANY balls.

What on earth do we do with SW now? He has almost NO trade value now that we got Horford. Can we get a pack of sardines for him? Think Portland would allow a do-over 2006 draft? I've never in my life see a supposedly safe top 5 pick devalue so fast and we helped it's value plummet.

W

Where is it stated they can't be traded, or Shelden and Childress for that matter? Who says one or both weren't picked for someone else? BK's brief trade dismissal is meaningless, aside from making it doubtful to happen tonight.

I'm not saying anything will happen but with July 1st changing certain circumstances, I'd wait until at least then to assume things are set in stone.

Guest Walter

Quote:

The Hawks filled their two biggest needs. They got a guy in Al Horford that will plug their center hole, and they got a point guard in Acie Law that will help get the flow of the offense going.

KB, I can't find your cred anywhere and I'm not looking up BK's arse for it.

I'm almost shocked that you wanted Law. For a guy that wanted defense, Law is not a good defender. He isn't even a pure Pg. But then again you did call Roy the "perfect compliment to JJ" and SW a "bust" before you found out which way BK was going to draft.

Maybe we'll bore, underwhelm, and small-ball teams to death. We're in for a world of hurt without a major trade.

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

The Hawks filled their two biggest needs. They got a guy in Al Horford that will plug their center hole, and they got a point guard in Acie Law that will help get the flow of the offense going.

I agree. We have had ZERO low post players on this team since SAR was here. I don't mean a lack of them I mean ZERO. Horford is now by spades! our best low post option and Woodson is going to feed him. Law is a slick combo guard that can play point or backup SG.

I also agree that if this was a perfect world we would have traded but trades take ALL sides to agree on. Memphis decided to keep Gasol and rebuild around him (or so I believe at this moment) and Phoenix was too scared to trade Amare.

Where does that leave us? We just got a great low post player and a guy who won the best PG of the year award in college. How can anyone be upset about that??

Yep. I think the biggest thing here is that Al Horford will be the defensive anchor in the middle for this team. This move really improves this team defensively in the paint.

With Marvin Williams, Josh Smith, and Al Horford in the front court, I don't see a team in the east that can match up with us in the long run.

I don't think this team is done by any stretch. There will be trades done over the summer to round out the roster. We need another post player and we need to get rid of one of the points we have (Law, Lue, AJ, Speedy). In many ways we also have to move a forward, though I don't think that is absolutely a necessity right now.

I am luke-warm with Horford as I think he's not going to be as good as a couple of the guys chosen behind him in the long-run. I really hope I am wrong, but Soth is right, we now have a low-post guy.

One of the intriguing things about taking Law is that he can also back up JJ. Law could go into the back court with Lue/AJ and provide scoring while JJ is getting a breath. We really need that.

Sheldon is somewhat redundant, but as last season showed us, we need more depth. A rotation through the 4-5 slots of Smoove, Horford, Sheldon, and Solo isn't bad at all. Z can come in for scoring now as well. Lo isn't going to see the court for the Hawks this upcoming season.

I wanted Yi/ and either Law or Stuckey, so this draft is close to what I wanted and I really hope Horford turns into an absolute beast for us.

Quote:

With Marvin Williams, Josh Smith, and Al Horford in the front court, I don't see a team in the east that can match up with us in the long run.

I agree 100% and Acie will help out also. People who talk about how we need a more pure pg, are not paying attention to how much pressure is on JJ everytime down the court.

Just as Horford will better us on the interior; Acie will make us better on the perimeter. We needed both; and that is exactly what we got. "A near perfect draft"!

Quote:

Yep. I think the biggest thing here is that Al Horford will be the defensive anchor in the middle for this team. This move really improves this team defensively in the paint.

You said the same exact crap about Shelden Williams last season what the hell happen. Wasnt Sped Head the 2 time defensive player of the year?

The issue with Yi is that he is absolutely not ready to defend anyone in the post. I really can't see why so many felt he was the guy we needed to get, when he is clearly a below average defender coming into this league, has little to no interior presence at all, and is a face up power forward.

In contrast, Al Horford is a guy that is going to camp out on that low block. He's got a back to the basket offensive game that will be instantly fed in Atlanta, but he's also strong enough, athletic enough, and tough enough to defend in the post. To me, the defense is the key. The Hawks ABSOLUTELY MUST get better defensively if they want to make the playoffs. Getting Al Horford is a move that makes us better defensively, IMO.

Quote:

teams that are used to winning make moves. The Celtics made moves, the Blazers are making moves. We just added two young players that duplicate players we already have.

Um...the Celts just got prison raped and still have Doc Rivers as coach. They didn't do much to help themselves.