• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Cenk Akyol in the US, to be seen by Hawks?

mountain_jim

I don't know if this is current or accurate, I pasted it from a post at Sekou's blog:

Quote:

From Draftexpress:

“Cenk Akyol, Atlanta Hawks - is also in the States right now, working out with renowned trainer Tim Grover in Chicago. Grover seems to like him a lot .., talking extensively about how well he shoots the ball, but also about his toughness, coachability, and the fact that “he’s a lot more athletic than people give him credit for.” Grover told us that he thinks Akyol should be able to make Atlanta’s roster and be effective for them, reminding us that he’s only 20 years old at the moment.

The Hawks will be going to watch Akyol play later this week before he heads back to Turkey to join the national team in preparation for the European Championship in Spain starting in September. He’s reportedly only looking for a minimum contract, and would be amenable to being sent down to the D-League as well if he was asked to.”

Since he’s asking for a minimum contract, I think the Hawks will have him, and it seems like a right choice.

Givony finishes “They very well could have gotten a steal with the recommendation their international scout Mark Crow made in the late 2nd round.”

Quote:

I doubt Anderson will ever be a Hawk. Interesting about Akyol coming over though, would like to see the kid play and see if he's worth the international hype.

Anderson has that huge Russian contract, right? I don't know anything about Cenk. He sounds hungry, though. Going to the D-League for the Hawks? He must want it. Can't be for money.

• Premium Member

Yes he has a nice contract over there with some er benefits that would be illegal in America: free cars, housing, taxes paid for by team and female companionship. Most Euro teams do the same for their players.

Quote:

I doubt Anderson will ever be a Hawk. Interesting about Akyol coming over though, would like to see the kid play and see if he's worth the international hype.

Really there isn't that much hype about him. I think if he's asking for the minimum we should bring him over because in this league he will be a backup SG for the foreseeable future and we have a starting SG who plays big minutes. He's worth a shot.

Quote:

Quote:

Really there isn't that much hype about him. I think if he's asking for the minimum we should bring him over because in this league he will be a backup SG for the foreseeable future and we have a starting SG who plays big minutes. He's worth a shot.

agreed...he would be a good backup scorer at the sg for us...i know we have salim but his presence would push salim and he sounds like he'll come cheap...

Here's a link from previous articles. They say some pretty flattering things. Given that he is only 20 and has had a lot of experience in Europe, he's got to have some upside. Glad to here he is more athletic that previously thought. Also glad to hear he is motivated to working to make himself better. Interesting guy.

Hey, not sure if you guys have seen this video but it's pretty good. He's not a great athlete but he can really handle, and has a pretty jumper. I'd really like to see us stick him in the D-League and see what he does against better talent.

Turkish guys on a german message board (many turkish people live in Germany that's why turkish sports are discussed there) think he kinda sucks right now:

Quote:

"Cenk Akyol flew to the USA and wants to go to the Hawks?? Too bad I'd say. He didn't impress for EFES this year. He was demoted to the 2nd team two times. This year he hurt EFES' play in Euroleague and in turkish league. Cenk Akyol has no chance in the USA. He should stay in Turkey and try to improve."

"Cenk is simply a pubertal boy that had performance issues because of relationship problems with his girlfriend. I look at Semih and Oguz, and then I look at Cenk...it's a difference like night and day. He doesn't stagnate, he developes from a top talent into an anti basketball player. We'll see what happens. I'll remain pessimistic concerning his future."

Cenk was also nominated for the turkish national team and the turkish users are quite angry about it, here are some comments: (There was not a single positive comment ^^)

Quote:

"If Hakan Demirel and Cenk Akyol are on the 12 men roster, then I expect nothing from this European Championship."

"I can understand that Tanjevic wants to form a good team for the World Championships 2010, but it's wrong to reserve a place for players like Hakan Demirel & Cenk Akyol and knowingly send a weaker squad to the EM. I like Cenk and the EM could be a chance for him to regain his old strength but he simply doesn't deserve it."

"I hope Cenk and Hakan are not on the 12 men roster, they don't deserve it."

"How can you nominate a loser like Cenk for the national squad."

"Cenk Akyol no idea about basketball, how can you take such a loser to Spain."

Here are his stats and game log from the turkish league, it's far from impressive.