• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Stealing from the AJC...

Weez

As I made the poll (sort of), I'll start...

I'd go with Lue. He's reliable, doesn't turn the ball over, and knows how to lead the team (and his role on the team). In the past, he seems to have accepted a 'change in role'/ demotion to off the bench spark well, thus planning for possible future roster/ lineup changes to transition as smoothly as possible.

Yes, he pounds the ball too much; yes, the defense that he first gained prominence for (as a Laker against Iverson in the finals) has rarely been seen since...but as best I can tell, he's the most 'Hawk's roster knowledgable' pg that we have...

thoughts?

(PS ~ I was AMAZED at the AJC results which currently have Law winning this poll at a clip of something like 78%!).

Quote:

(PS ~ I was AMAZED at the AJC results which currently have Law winning this poll at a clip of something like 78%!).

Why? After the year Speedy had it should be expected. He was garbage.

And Lue has said that he prefers coming off the bench to starting.

Law IV by a mile.

Speedy is a horrible shooter.

Career: 40.9% fg% and 19.3% 3pfg%

I fear that teams are gonna lay off Speedy, and force him to shoot from outside.When that happens, it's gonna be ugly.

He also can't be counted on, to make free throws in crunch time.

Depends if Speedy is healthy. I would be concerned about who could 'mentor' Law and bring him along. I don't know that I would throw Law into the fire first thing. Could hinder his development. Need to be aware of supporting his confidence.

I agree Lue doesn't know how to run a team. More of a scorer. We need to trade one of these guys.

Regardless of how you do it, Law is the long term guy and the question is how do we get to that point?

Quote:

I fear that teams are gonna lay off Speedy, and force him to shoot from outside.When that happens, it's gonna be ugly.

He also can't be counted on, to make free throws in crunch time.

That brings up an interesting point. Speedy is a huge liability in the clutch while clutch play is Law's game.

Speedy's defense is his strength so having him starting out the game harrassing the opposing pg and then having Law finishing the game makes some sense.

The question: Who should start. Speedy.

No mention of who should get major minutes. Who should

be on the floor in crunch time.

Therein lies the difference.

Seems that, not too long ago, Hawks had a P.G. who was

the starter. He played a few minutes in the first

quarter, then a few in the third quarter. He didn't

play major minutes - He just started.

My major concern is not who starts in any position.

Does it really matter in the big picture? Not to me.

What I want to know, who will be on the floor at the

end of the game?? We have watch, over and over, as our

beloved Hawks were "Right There" with 5 minutes to go.

Either with the lead, tied, or , oh, so close.

We've witnesed loss after loss. Couldn't close the door.

Couldn't finish off the opponent. I want to know, will

we now be able to end these games and come out on top.

Don't worry about the starters - - Worry about the enders!!

GO HAWKS!!!!

Crunch time. That's it.

Eyecrazy.gif

• Premium Member

...where we can make players earn their spots. I lOVE law and I think he and JJ are gonna make a tremendous backcourt. We've got some capable vets though and I think we need to make him earn it. Regardless of who starts on day one, I don't think it'll be long before he's starting for us at PG anyway.

TLue has already said that he's more comfortable as a backup. With the way TLue shoots and his attitude, I think he's the perfect backup anyway.

All that being said, I think Speedy should be starting. When he loses his job to Law due to "injury" and subpar play, oh I'd say after a month or so, Law starts and Speedy gets banished to the bench.

If your not good enough to finish the game, what makes you good enough to start it..

We already tried the same thing with Ivy.

Let the better defensive player start the first 5 minutes, then bring in the offensive player.

All that did was get us jumped on in the first 5 minutes of the first and 3rd quarters.

Did you know you the Hawks had a winning record, when leading after the first quarter?

The problem was that they would dig themsevles a hole offensively , then bring in Lue and Childress to bail them out.

Quote:

Quote:

If your not good enough to finish the game, what makes you good enough to start it..

That is one of the more unenlighted statements I've seen.

Speedy Starts.

Law Finishes.

It is what it is.

How many playoff teams have a Starting pg, that doesn't finish the game as well?

If you have Law as your finisher, then your pretty much admitting that he is the better player.Shoudn't the better player also start?

Honestly, I think the only person who should be GUARANTEED a starting position going into the season is JJ. Every other position should be wide open to competition. I THINK we should start:

Horford

Smoove

Marvin

JJ

Speedy

but what if Zaza, Shelden, Chillz or Law show that they deserve to be starting? I think a lineup of:

Horford

Shelden

Smoove

JJ

Speedy

presents some interesting possibilities (best defensive lineup) as does a lineup of:

Zaza

Horford

Marvin

JJ

Law

The above lineup features a group of solid midrange shooters that might be our best half court offense lineup.

Bottom line - I agree that we are at a point where starting positions need to be earned.

Quote:

We already tried the same thing with Ivy.

Speedy is WAY better than Ivey when healthy, and he's also a much better defensive player.