• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who cares anbout Vick ? What about the Falcons ?

coachx

Vick is gone, plain and simple.

So who cares about him any more ? He has been exposed as the piece of trash many of us suspected he was from the long history of hrmmm.........unfortunate incidents surrounding Vick over the past few years.

Lets move past Vick and discuss the whole situation's salary cap implication on the Falcons.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Vick is gone, plain and simple.

So who cares about him any more ? He has been exposed as the piece of trash many of us suspected he was from the long history of hrmmm.........unfortunate incidents surrounding Vick over the past few years.

Lets move past Vick and discuss the whole situation's salary cap implication on the Falcons.

If you dont care about him, why did you bring him up in the first place?

B/c I want to move the discussion to how the situation inpacts the Falcons salary cap over the coming years.

Its simply more productive then talking about some loser.

I tried to bring this up in another thread but (everybody still wants to talk about Vick) either no one cares about the impact or know one knows what the impact will be.

• Premium Member

Would you call losing one of the few superstars in the Falcon's history before his prime something that impacts the Falcons this season? I'd say so. I've been a Falcon fan way before Vick got here, and I'll be one after he's gone. But to have a discussion about the Falcons THIS SEASON without even mentioning Vick seems borderline ridiculous. Vick WAS this franchise for the past few seasons, off the field issues or not. When he was out, we looked lost out there. BTW, there are a lot of people out there who are all too willing to let Vick go and "forget" about him as if his contributions to this historically mediocre franchise mean absolutely nothing. Maybe they forgot what/how this team was before he got here. Maybe they forgot about the excitement he brought to this city. Maybe they forgot how empty the Dome was before. Or maybe they don't care about any of that as long as this "thug" is no longer part of the team. Now I could accept that coming from long time Falcon fans who actually care about the team, but I can't accept it from people who seem to only comment on the Falcons/Vick when something goes bad. They seem to only describe Vick using terms that would be offensive to anybody... terms that I would never call another human being. Now if you never liked Vick from the beginning, let it be known. But don't hide behind the argument that you really want to discuss the Falcons going forward. Let's be clear about one thing: VICK IS THE PLAYER THAT MADE THIS TEAM WATCHABLE FOR THE LAST FEW YEARS. There's no one who can refute this without having some ulterior motive. smirk.gif

I am a life long Falcons fan and I have been a season ticket holder since I moved back to Atlanta in '96. Since then, other than the Super Bowl season, the Dome was pretty much empty (and it only filled up that year late in the season) until Vick came along.

Many of the so-called Falcons fans who want Vick gone are the same ones who will stop supporting the team as soon as we start losing. I remember when Vick broke his leg and Doug Johnson took over. The Vick haters were so sure that Johnson was a better QB yet as soon as he proved that he sucked, the Vick haters stopped coming and the Dome was empty again.

I am saddened by the whole Vick saga. It breaks my heart for a variety of reasons and I hate the fact that he put himself (and the team) in this situation. I hope he learns from his mistakes and works hard to redeem himself.

He brought excitement and I'm grateful. I just don't know if we could really develop a winner around him when every time he drops back to pass its a roll of the dice. He has had very little consistency. And when his magic worked we did fine, when it didn't we sucked. My point is that it did not allow the talent around him to carry the load and be consistent as an offense. I think this limited the overall potential of the offense.

That being said, I wanted to see him play under Patrino. I had hoped his maturity would settle him down some.

Oh, another one of you guys.

Um, Vick will not be playing on the field this season or any season for that matter. With the gambling on top of the dog fighting he will probably have a 2 year mininmum prison sentence and after that he serve his NFL suspension. Makes no sense to serve suspension time while your already in jail.

Here is an idea. Why not talk about who IS playing for the Falcons on the actual FOOTBALL FIELD.

Lets talk about how much of Vick's contract the Falcons will get back and how many good players they can sign with it.

Nah, lets do what you do, just whine about Vick some more.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Oh, another one of you guys.

Um, Vick will not be playing on the field this season or any season for that matter. With the gambling on top of the dog fighting he will probably have a 2 year mininmum prison sentence and after that he serve his NFL suspension. Makes no sense to serve suspension time while your already in jail.

Here is an idea. Why not talk about who IS playing for the Falcons on the actual FOOTBALL FIELD.

Lets talk about how much of Vick's contract the Falcons will get back and how many good players they can sign with it.

Nah, lets do what you do, just whine about Vick some more.

Ok. Let's do that. But can that be done without referring to Vick as a piece of trash or a bum? Can't that be done without putting Vick's name in the title of your thread? If you truly want to discuss the Falcons on the actual football field, then DO IT. You brought Vick up first not me. Oh, and what the heck do you mean by another one of "you guys" dude??? confused.gif

Falcons still have talent. Some are nearing the end of

their productive lives in the NFL. Others are just beginning.

What we see in pre-season will be a team learning a new system under a new head coach - and new assistant coaches.

We are fairly sure about our starting Q.B. but still have

a lot of work to decide about #2 and #3.

Falcons are changing the way they play the linemen, both

on offense and defense. This will require a lot of time

amd effort but should show positive results.

Some of the key players on both sides of the ball are

recovering from surgeries and injuries from last season

and haven't played in pre-season.

Special teams show several glaring weaknesses. Things

should improve there as cuts occur and the roster begins

to shape up. Some of the players who are now on the

special teams now won't be around opening day.

As with the Hawks, a lot of the success or failure will

depend on the health of the players. Having everyone

healthy could go a long way toward the success we hope

for in the upcoming season.

Things will work out. They always do.

twocents.gif

Regarding the current team, I hope they are a pleasant surprise without Vick.

Coachx, I think you undervalue Vick and his contributions. If he was trash as a player how did he take a team to the NFC championship? Are you suggesting that it had little to do with him?

Personally I think it's obvious he showed flashes of brilliance and play making ability. I'm gonna miss him busting a game wide open with a 50 yard run. He was the closest thing to Barry Sanders this league has seen since he retired.

I've always thought Barry is a good comparison to Vick because they would both make plays that blow your mind, but were inconsistent with it. The Lions couldn't count on Barry to get a first down, but then he would also take one to the house at any moment. It made it difficult to be consistent on offense. Similar with Vick you never knew if the offense would go 3 and out or if some incredible play was gonna be made.

Just like someone else posted I don't think Vick would have delivered a Super Bowl for Atlanta, but he was a tremendous talent. Nothing we can do now but move on and build a winner. I won't miss the constant debate over should Vick or Doug Johnson/Matt Schaub be our starter. One thing that might forever be debated is speculation on what Vick could have done with a decent WR core. Remember all those dropped passes? Anyways, win or lose I will miss watching Vick play just because it was fun to watch.

There never should have been a debate about the wide receiver corps though. The fact is, Michael Vick was never a good quarterback, and he likely was never going to develop the passing skills that is required to be a good quarterback. Vick was nothing more than a glorified running back, and even you alluded to this in your post when talking about him breaking off a 50 yard run. Notice that you never mentioned him taking the team down the field with his arm and good decision making throwing the football.

Already, the receivers are showing that they weren't the problem. The drops are fewer because the receivers have to make fewer adjustments to poorly thrown balls.

• Premium Member

Quote:

There never should have been a debate about the wide receiver corps though. The fact is, Michael Vick was never a good quarterback, and he likely was never going to develop the passing skills that is required to be a good quarterback. Vick was nothing more than a glorified running back, and even you alluded to this in your post when talking about him breaking off a 50 yard run. Notice that you never mentioned him taking the team down the field with his arm and good decision making throwing the football.

Already, the receivers are showing that they weren't the problem. The drops are fewer because the receivers have to make fewer adjustments to poorly thrown balls.

Does that explain Roddy White's problem this preseason. He's still kind of inconsistent with his catches. Crumpler seemed to have no problem catching the ball. Vick looked great throwing the ball during the Pro Bowl when he had quality receivers. I can admit that he was not the most accurate guy out there but he was a lot more accurate than people give him credit for.

I would like the anti-Vick crowd to explain how we went from beating GB at Lambeau to a losing season without Vick then to the NFC championship with Vick. If Vick was so terrible why did we win with him and lose without him?

I stand by what I said he was most likely not effective enough to win a Super Bowl with, but I would still not question his talent. Similar to Barry Sanders again, you can't plan an offense around potentially making 2-3 game breaking plays a game. It's not consistent enough. My main point was Vick was an exciting talent, and as a fan I will miss watching him play.

Another guy you might compare him to is Allen Iverson. I love watching AI play, but I have no confidence that his team will ever be world champs. Losing Vick may end up having a positive impact on our team, but I still enjoyed every minute of him being a Falcon.

So, you don't see the problem when your comparison for your QUARTERBACK is a RUNNING BACK?

That's precisely the problem with Michael Vick. He's one of the most overrated players for his position that this league has ever seen.

The fact is, he is not a good quarterback. Never has been. Never will be. He lacks the passing skills to be a good quarterback. He can't read a defense, and he can't deliver the ball accurately. That's two important pieces that go into being a good quarterback.

If his running is so great, then he should be moved to the position where running is the best asset -- RUNNING BACK.

I also compared him to a basketball player, but you still haven't answered my question.

If he is so terrible how come his team performed better with him than without him?

I agree he is not a traditional QB even for a running QB, but you have to have him on the field. QB was the best way to get him on the field and give him a lot of touches. That being said I'll stress again, I wouldn't give his team the best chance to win it all with him at QB. Still, that was the best position for him to play. I'd definitely say that a team with him starting at QB has at least an average chance at winning if not a better than average chance.

What do you want me to concede that I haven't? Vick is/was a phenomal talent that is/was too unique to consistently win with. He certainly is not a liability to a team. His team won more with him than without him. If he was a liability his team would win more without him. We didn't see that.

Are you saying he should've played RB? I would've liked to seen that. I don't think it would've worked either. My opinion is that QB was his best position, although how many times do I have to say he is a unique player that you had to make some concessions to keep him on the field. A QB that runs like a RB is a positive thing. It would be better if he passed like a better than avg QB though.

Quote:

I would like the anti-Vick crowd to explain how we went from beating GB at Lambeau to a losing season without Vick then to the NFC championship with Vick. If Vick was so terrible why did we win with him and lose without him?...

Vick has an unbelievable talent and opposing teams couldn't deal with him early on. Problem is - he's been a one-trick pony. I was hoping that this would be the year (with Petrino's guidance) that he would break out and become an average passer. Obviously that experiment is over.

It seems there are folks who discount Vick's ability/impact on a game...and those who overvalue it. As with most things in life...the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

As far as our receiver corps goes...the fact that Laurent Robinson, a very nice talent out of division 1AA Illinois State appears to have the best hands on the team (not counting Horn since he wasn't here last year)...tells me that our dropsy receivers were part of the problem. That's not a pro or anti Vick statement, it's a criticism of our drafting the last few years. detective.gif

Last year's passings struggles were more due to the WRs than Vick.

Yes, its true... Vick will even admit it himself that hes not the most accurate passer.

However, we had the worst set of WRs last year.

Its easy to blame Vick but both Crumpler + Finneran have great chemistry w/ Vick.

Even Joe Horn mentioned last year that our WRs inability to catch the balls thrown at them cost us the loss.

Vick has a strong arm. As far as accuracy, hes only mediocre. When you have a strong arm and mediocre accuracy, u play the QB position... not the RB position.

I think the fact that Vick is not a TRADITIONAL QB bothers KB21. Who cares if hes not traditional?

Reggie Miller does not have a traditional shot, but dammit... if i need a 3, id easily go w/ Reggie.

Its all about RESULTS (wins).

Mike Vick gave the falcons the BEST CHANCE to win... period!

by the way, how do you feel about Vince Young (aka- new MIKE VICK)?