Sports Guy name THE ATLANTA FALCONS as his sleeper

shug94

The Mega-Sleeper

12. Atlanta Falcons

In the history of Dave Cirilli's Ewing Theory, no professional sports team has ever looked like a more promising candidate. Check out how I defined the Theory in 2001:

"Dave introduced me to the Ewing Theory three years ago, and we've been tinkering with it like Voltaire and Thoreau ever since. Eventually, we decided that two crucial elements needed to be in place for any situation to qualify for "Ewing" status:

"1. A star athlete receives an inordinate amount of media attention and fan interest, and yet his teams never win anything substantial with him (other than maybe some early-round playoff series).

"2. That same athlete leaves his team (either by injury, trade, graduation, free agency or retirement) -- and both the media and fans immediately write off the team for the following season."

AP

Are you really surprised that Joey Harrington didn't succeed in Detroit or Miami?

In the parentheses section of Element No. 2, had we included the words "dogfighting suspension," it would have looked like the "Ninth Wonder of the World" comic book from "Heroes." Has the Ewing Theory ever fit someone more perfectly than Michael Vick? Look at the 2007 Falcons logically -- they self-destructed last season because of Vick (who struggled on and off the field) and Jim Mora Jr. (who ripped the heart out of his team by pining for another job midway through the season). Both of those guys are gone. Why is this a bad thing? I love their schedule (easy), their new coach (this year's Sean Payton, Bobby Petrino), their running game (the Jerious Norwood/Warrick Dunn attack), their rookies (they got three starters out of the top 41 picks) and the fact that everyone -- and I mean, EVERYONE -- is counting them out.

Now, here's where you say, "Their QB is Joey Harrington." Solid point, even if you'd feel between 10 and 150 times better about him if his name were "Joe" instead of "Joey." Just remember, he was thrown into the fire in Detroit and blamed because the Lions' blue-chip receivers weren't doing better. Upon further review, Harrington couldn't get a passing game clicking with Charles Rogers (out of the league), Mike Williams (headed that way) and Roy Williams (double-teamed at all times) on a team with a crummy defense and no running game. This was his fault? His second "chance" came in Miami last year, when he stepped in for an 0-4 Dolphins team that had a subpar offensive line, the least efficient receivers in the league and a coach looking for a way out by Week 8. Paul Crewe in his prime couldn't have turned that team around. You might call Harrington a failure; I call it unfortunate that he hasn't found the right situation yet.

(Note: How am I doing with the Harrington defense so far? You didn't think it could be done, did you? You might want to do a shot before you read the next two paragraphs. OK, back to the column.)

Now, Harrington is playing for one of the best offensive minds in football on a team with good running backs, an excellent tight end and two former No. 1 picks at receiver; he gets to start 12 of 16 games in domes and ZERO games in cold weather; and if that's not enough, for the first time, a city is actually happy to have him as its quarterback if only because he's not Michael Vick. You're telling me it's inconceivable that the third pick of the 2002 draft could succeed under these circumstances? I'd rather bet on Harrington playing in the perfect situation than David Garrard or Jake Delhomme, that's for sure. As for the rest of the 2007 Falcons, forget about PETA members -- is there anyone who wouldn't make a ceremonial bandwagon jump if Atlanta regrouped from the Vick Saga and made an out-of-nowhere playoff run?

Just know that I believe in the Ewing Theory, I believe in the '07 Falcons, I believe in Petrino ... and ... (gulp) ... I believe that Harrington could be a half-decent quarterback in the perfect situation. I'm even willing to hinge my 2007 Sleeper Pick on it. Stranger things have happened. Yes, stranger things than Joey Harrington leading Michael Vick's old team to the playoffs while Vick watches the whole thing unfold from behind bars.

(I swear, stranger things have happened. Eventually, I might even think of one.)

Sleeper for what? To finish .500?

I'm not a Falcon's fan, but I do know that even if Vick was there, part of the reason why they would struggle this year, is because of the defense.

Now with your main playmaker gone, who is going to make the plays for the offense?

If the Falcons do have a record of .500 and over, it will all be because of Petrino. But the history of the league works heavily against Bobby, seeing that college coaches hardly ever succeed in the NFL . . unless you happen to have 3 future Hall of Famers on offense ( see Jimmy Johnson & Barry Switzer )

And that 12 . . . That's not 12th overall in the NFL is it? LOL @ that if it is.

Quote:

Sleeper for what? To finish .500?

Yeah, I pull for the Falcons but I'm not too optimistic this year. My guess is that we start the seson poorly and finish strong. Still I doubt it will be enough to make the playoffs this year. nol2.gif

As far as Sunday's game, I'm concerned that our defense won't be able to stop their running game. With luck they won't be able to stop our passing game and it'll be an old-fashioned shootout.

Finishing @ :500 would be a LOT better than most so called

experts have the Birds.

Example: Sports Illustrated has the record as 3-13 for

the season. Another, more optimistic, had a 6-10 record.

Personally, I'm cautiously optimistic for the season.

M.V. was exciting! Explosive! Had that WOW! factor.

Yet, Falcons didn't win consistently last season.

A new coach & staff. A new QB. a new system.

All of the draft picks made the roster. Still have

some injuries not fully recovered, but getting there.

Sleeper? With a projected record of 3-13, you bet!!

These Birds aren't the Colts, but they are not as

bad as some think.

saythat.gif

Minny offense 10

Harrington -14

frown.gif

The Falcons offense is in for a looong season.

Didn't the coaches say that they want to give Norwoord a bigger part? Then why let they run him only 5 times, while the struggling Dunn got it 22 times?

I was also kinda shocked that we didn't try to score with 1 minute left in the first half.

6 sacks for the Vikes, but all those "smart" people said, that all the sacks happened only because of Vick.

On the positive side the defense looked ok, they didn't make big plays, but they held the Vikings to ten points and if it wasn't for that lucky Peterson TD it would've been 3, but then again the Vikings passing attack might be worse than ours.

*DEFENSE*

we played solid defense w/ the exception of Peterson's TD.

my only criticism is the lack of pressure on Tavaris Jackson. Seemed like Jackson wasnt rushed or pressured at all. Sending just 4 defensive linemen on every possession will not work especially w/ rod coleman out. send a LB here and there and surprise them!

they pressured us. they sacked us. why couldnt we take advantage of playing against first fulltime starter Tavaris Jackson?

*OFFENSE*

The 2 INTs are very misleading. I feel like the first INT was a freak play by the Vikings DT Kevin Williams. I saw Julius Peppers do that to Vick once. More times than not, the DL will just knock it down and not intercept it + return it for a TD!

the 2nd INT brought back memories from last year. CATCH THE D*MN BALL JENKINS!

now, i love the efficiency. but can we use all of the field? add a deep play here and there. I only remember 1 deep pass (to Roddy White).

i want to see more plays for our playmakers- Joe Horn, Alge Crumpler and Jerious Norwood.

less roddy white/michael jenkins and more joe horn/alge crumpler. please!

*SPECIAL TEAMS*

uhm... wheres ALLEN ROSSUM? (traded to STEELERS). adam jennings? hmm...

new Kicker? Mr. No Name. hmm...

special teams = big question mark!

Quote:

*DEFENSE*

we played solid defense w/ the exception of Peterson's TD.

my only criticism is the lack of pressure on Tavaris Jackson. Seemed like Jackson wasnt rushed or pressured at all. Sending just 4 defensive linemen on every possession will not work especially w/ rod coleman out. send a LB here and there and surprise them!

they pressured us. they sacked us. why couldnt we take advantage of playing against first fulltime starter Tavaris Jackson?

*OFFENSE*

The 2 INTs are very misleading. I feel like the first INT was a freak play by the Vikings DT Kevin Williams. I saw Julius Peppers do that to Vick once. More times than not, the DL will just knock it down and not intercept it + return it for a TD!

the 2nd INT brought back memories from last year. CATCH THE D*MN BALL JENKINS!

now, i love the efficiency. but can we use all of the field? add a deep play here and there. I only remember 1 deep pass (to Roddy White).

i want to see more plays for our playmakers- Joe Horn, Alge Crumpler and Jerious Norwood.

less roddy white/michael jenkins and more joe horn/alge crumpler. please!

*SPECIAL TEAMS*

new Kicker? Mr. No Name. hmm...

special teams = big question mark!

The rookie receiver looked Gooood. Laurent Robinson he played well.

Quote:

What the hell did they do to Norwood? I thought Petrino is smarter than that.

Norwood may not be as powerful as Peterson but he is just as explosive.Instead the Vikings give there playmaker the ball while Norwood watches Dunn get destroyed on the sideline.Not much creativity on offense.Although is hard with the falcons O-line. Forney will prove to be overrated by years end.

Quote:

Norwood may not be as powerful as Peterson but he is just as explosive.

No, he's not. Norwood can reach a high gear after about 25 yards. He has poor lateral movement for a non power back. Peterson is one of the most explosive runners I've ever seen. And he has the vision to anticipate the hole. He's a little like LaDanian and Emmitt crossed together.

Norwood is not half of the runner Dunn is. Either way, NO ONE is going to get yards behind this line with these plays. Not Dunn's fault at all and Norwood would't have changed a thing. The real problem is Keith(I like to grab)Brooking. He is one of the most overhyped players to ever step on an NFL field. Check your memory. Can anyone conjur an image of him actually hitting someone by himself, and that person, not Brooking, going backwards? I can't. I'm dead serious. I'm sure he's done it. But not to anyone that mattered. We will be soft on D as long as he is here. And that, more than anything else will lead to our losses.

• Moderators

Quote:

*SPECIAL TEAMS*

Not a good debut. Catching the ball on the 4 yard line was brutally stupid.

On Dunn & Norwood, I think Norwood is going to inevitably get more carries over time. His career average is over 6 ypc which is 150% of Dunn's productivity last season (and much better than Dunn's 2.5 ypc from the opener).

I don't think either of them are going to be a long-term fit as the starter for this team. Watching Dunn trying to man-up against people is harsh - he just doesn't have the power or size Petrino needs (nor does Norwood).

That game was a pretty harsh indictment of McKay as well. Other than Mike, there wasn't a lot of talent on the roster showing its way against a very mediocre Vikings team.

• Admin

I think we were just too conservative. We had too many 3rd and 7's where we ran it. What happened to the progressive offense? It seems like every time we wanted a catch, we got it, but when we needed it, we didn't try it.

I think we'll be ok though. The offense looked good at times (except on the run) and our defense had good moments. Once we get coleman back that will help even more.

I'm not debating the fact that Norwood is a better all around back than Peterson.I'm saying Norwood is just as fast as Peterson and deserves mores touches than he recieved Sunday. The guy comes in and provides a spark and Petrino benches him just like Mora did.This isn't about Peterson vs Norwood because only one is on the falcons.This is about Norwood deserving more playing time than dunn. These days dunn is nothing more than a big hit by the defense so they can get thier teammates and crowd excited.Norwood would gain 12 or 1300 yds on the ground if used properly this season. Without the threat of Vick running the bootleg Dunns threat is diminished greatly.I'm sure the Vikings D-coordinator,players and fans preferred to have dunn get more touches than Norwood on Sunday.

Quote:

The real problem is Keith(I like to grab)Brooking. He is one of the most overhyped players to ever step on an NFL field. Check your memory. Can anyone conjur an image of him actually hitting someone by himself, and that person, not Brooking, going backwards? I can't. I'm dead serious. I'm sure he's done it. But not to anyone that mattered. We will be soft on D as long as he is here. And that, more than anything else will lead to our losses.

Let me get this straight, you're blaming our DEFENSE for our loss Sunday?