• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What do you attribute the Hawks record to

pound4pound

Many on this board thought we would be around .500 as did I but never saw it coming like this. I thought Speedy would be at the point breaking down defenses. I thought we would be running the hell out of the ball like Washington by now. I thought Al and AC both would be getting about 25 minutes a game in a reserve role. I thought Chill would be making a move on Marvin as the best 3 on the roster. I never saw Mario West as anything more than a Sekou Smith pet.

If you had to pick only 2 -

Man if there ever was a poll that needed an all of the above. I understand though, it was a tough 2 choices. I went with them buying into Woody and Marv although the 2nd choice after Woody could have been any of them. I almost picked Smoove but he is playing the way Woody has wanted him to play for the last 2 seasons.

Those were my picks and reasoning as well. All of the above applies, but I believe that the reason this team is doing well now is the fact that they have finally bought into Mike Woodson's philosophy on defense and the fact that Marvin Williams has become a reliable scorer for the team.

I picked AJ and Al because I didn't think AJ could do it and I've been impressed with how quickly Horford has been able to become a quality starter in the league.

Realistically, Marvin, JS, JJ, and even JC have been considerably more integral parts of the team - but I expected that...to a degree. Horford's ability to start effectively also has kept Zaza off the court more...a double plus.

Yea - ZaZa has actually been effective in the back role to Horford.

We need an offensive spark late in the 1st and Zaza provides that for the second team. Especially aganist the other teams back-up center.

We can also lean on Al to supply starter quality at the 5 and then bring in Zaza late to hit the throws. That's our counter strategy to Hack-a-Horford.

I'm not a real big Zaza hater. I just wish he would adapt his game to what he is and stop trying to do too much on offense. Plus, he needs to realize that as the backup - he has to give the hard foul in the middle. I guess he's still struggling with the demotion to backup and wants to earn his starting spot back. There is really no reason for him to not be aggressive on D in the paint. What could he be afraid of? He's big and strong as an ox...and with a head that big he could get hit all day and it wouldn't hurt him nol2.gif

• Premium Member

The thing about it is that recently... It has been AJ whoose game has changed the most. That and Smoove playing more under control.

We consistently had these other things this whole time. However, our record has spiked with the play of AJ Specifically... However, that's not to say that these other parts of the game are not factors.

Marvin was playing well even when the Hawks were struggling at 3-6. He has been our most consistent player and the most reliable second option on the team but the other players that were struggling(Joe,Josh,AJ)are no longer struggling which is why the Hawks record has gotten so much better this month.

The two biggest reasons why the Hawks have improved are AJ's recent play this month and Joe finally playing like he did last year. It took him until half time of the Toronto game but he finally got his swagger back and hasn't had a bad game since.

Quote:

The thing about it is that recently... It has been AJ whoose game has changed the most. That and Smoove playing more under control...

Yeah, AJ's play has surprised me the most. I thought he was a waste of a second round pick last year just to get Woody/BK 30 wins. Plus, when he first came over (after sitting the pine so long) he looked like the MVP of some Church League wink.gif

I didn't expect that he could do what he has this year. With Speedy out for the year I would at least pick up a PG out of the D league though - in case of emergency.

In no particular order....

1) AJ has given us production and leadership at PG

2) Marvin has become a consistent high-percentage scorer

3) Josh Smith has stopped taking terrible shots and is making a positive overall impact

4) Horford gives us better rebounding, defense, and athleticism in the post

5) Our overall team defense is much better

6) Our entire team is just more mature, understands the game better, and is more cohesive

7) Joe is finally starting to hit some shots lately, which might have something to do with Josh Smith not taking so many terrible shots and AJ's improved PG play

Having a plan and working the plan.

All parts working as they are supposed to.

Maturity of all concerned, players AND Woody.

On the voting list: ALL OF THE ABOVE!!

Being experienced enough to overcome the mistakes that

they make.

As far as possible, recognising and staying out of their

famous "Sleepwalk Mode."

Play of all our rookies.

thumb3d.gif

Right now, tied for 4th place in the east and only one

game behind in the loss column in our division!!

WOW!!!!

grin.gif

Quote:

Having a plan and working the plan.

All parts working as they are supposed to.

Maturity of all concerned, players AND Woody.

On the voting list: ALL OF THE ABOVE!!

Being experienced enough to overcome the mistakes that

they make.

As far as possible, recognising and staying out of their

famous "Sleepwalk Mode."

Play of all our rookies.

thumb3d.gif

Right now, tied for 4th place in the east and only one

game behind in the loss column in our division!!

WOW!!!!

grin.gif

Ditto to all of that. And Horford playing like a vet.

Quote:

The thing about it is that recently... It has been AJ whoose game has changed the most. That and Smoove playing more under control.

We consistently had these other things this whole time. However, our record has spiked with the play of AJ Specifically... However, that's not to say that these other parts of the game are not factors.

I agree with what you're saying, but the reasoning isn't correct IMO. That's like saying if Jordan Farmar started averaging 16 and 8 assists and the Lakers went on a big winning streak, does that mean that Farmar is more important than Kobe? Not at all. It just means that if you add one good thing to another, that it will get better.

Hypothetically, if AJ had been playing great all season, and Marvin just now began playing well for 5 straight games, the team would have also improved greatly.

• Premium Member

Quote:

hat's like saying if Jordan Farmar started averaging 16 and 8 assists and the Lakers went on a big winning streak, does that mean that Farmar is more important than Kobe?

The question was not who is the more important? or who is the best player?

The question is what is responsible for the latest winning streak?

If the Lakers lose every game but Kobe averages 43 ppg... and then all the sudden, Jordan Farmar starts playing averaging 16 and 8 assists and the Lakers go in a big winning streak (with Kobe still averaging 43 ppg)... That doesn't mean that Jordan is more important than Kobe... I agree... Just like no player is more important than JJ. However is does mean that the thing that is most responsible for the streak is the play of Jordan Farmar...

I think many of the Squawkers missed the question.

Here's the litmus test.

You take AJ out of those games and put in Salim or Lue.. Do we still win? I don't think so.

Moreover you let JSmoove play sporadically like he did before.. Do we still win? I don't think so.

Now, when you consider Marvin and JJ.. I would say that they were pretty consistent throughout. Moreover, Al Horford is just as much a post presence as he was in weeks 1 and 2. However, the thing that has changed about the Hawks has definitely been our PG play and our confidence.