• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

State of the Squawk Poll - Mid-Season Version

AHF

• Moderators

This is intended to give some feedback on where the Squawk membership is regarding our team and its management. I am sure there are some aspects to the poll that are far from perfect. I tried to limit the options a bit more than I usually do to get a bit more consensus. Just pick the option that seems the closest or pick the last one and post your own thought.

(If it doesn't work this time then just wait the two weeks for the original poll.)

As far as SW and ZaZa...I don't think it's either/or as the poll suggests. Both offer something as role players, not much else. ZaZa the slight better of the two IMO.

W

I didn't respond to the two PG questions because at this point I don't see any of the lot leading us to the playoffs this year. That's not to say A.J. isn't doing his best or that Law doesn't have a bright future - just that "right now" we could really use a better starting PG.

Quote:

I can't imagine that whoever voted for Law starting over AJ has watched many games this season.

Acie has been much more productive as a starter and his +/- with the starters is +20.

http://www.82games.com/0708/0708ATL2.HTM

It isn't like AJ is putting up big numbers. I doubt Acie would do worse than AJ's 6/5 playing 30 mnutes per game.

I'm not sure exactly what options the Hawks legitimately have on the table with the deadline approaching, or if they really can or will do anything given the ownership mess, but I do believe it's time to start making some serious trades. Personally, I'd like to see Joe Johnson, Marvin Williams, and either Josh Smith or Al Horford remain as our absolute core (preferrably both Smoove and Horford), and then I'd like to add someone like Jason Kidd, Jose Calderon, Devin Harris, Andre Miller, or Pau Gasol.

Anyone else (Chills, Shelden, Law, Zaza, etc.) are expendable in my opinion, and I'd be willing to trade either Smoove or Horford for a truly great player, but not both of them (and I'd prefer to keep them). We should act now, because we have a rare combination of expendable young talent and expiring contracts. I'd also like to see Woody get fired sooner rather than later. As for BK, I think he's done more good than people give him credit for, but his mistakes have been so bad, and his overall philosophy for building a team has been so weird, that I'd like to see him go too.

Great poll - informative and fair.

Quote:

I am amazed at the level of consensus on the board. With the small sample size, the poll is showing a lot of agreement.

Yeah, shockingly, I was with the consensus on everything except the BK question and Lue/Acie question. And I got the clear second majority on those. Glad to know this board knows what's up.

Quote:

I can't imagine that whoever voted for Law starting over AJ has watched many games this season.

Acie the starter is almost totally different than Acie the backup only playing 10 minutes or so.He was better than A.J. as a starter except that one good stretch Johnson had but besides that he's been average and Acie has been playing better lately without horrible games in between.

Acie, Shelden, and even Zaza might perform better as starters.

But we're definitely sitting Al or Smoove to start either Shelden or Acie. The dropoff is just too great. So those 2 have to accept their roles off the bench, and be as productive as possible.

The dropoff between Acie and AJ though, is miniscule, especially if Acie plays with the starters.

Remember during the preseason? AJ was hardly seeing any time on the floor. Then he pitched that hissy-fit. He did it because he knew he was about to be completely out the loop.

Once word came down that Turtle was going to be a no-go to start the season, Woody had to decide t go with AJ or Law. I think before AJ's fit, he was fully prepared to go with Law.

Then, when he finally did make the switch, Law gets hurt.

Now, with AJ playing just as inconsistent as the rest of the Hawks, the time is about right to see if Acie's skill set is a better fit for the team with the starters. He's not going to get any better than what he is now. The same can't be said for Acie.

AJ's 7 points on 6 shots, and 5 assists, are lackluster at best. For a team that struggles to score, he probably needs to be creating over 20 ppg ( own points + points from assists ).

He needs to be a 10 - 11 ppg / 5 assist guy . . or an 8 ppg / 7 assist guy. He needs to play well enough to make Woody think twice about giving Lue, even Law, extended minutes.

If JJ is struggling and others can't pick up the scoring slack, he can't play the passive PG role. If he does, then his minutes might as well go to Acie.

On our big men.....

I am really down on Woodson and his lack of ability to instill an offense that sufficiently uses our bigs. With this in mind, I give them a pass b/c I believe they would do better under another coach.

For the record, I believe Woodson is also holding Horford back.

Quote:

But we're definitely sitting Al or Smoove to start either Shelden or Acie.
The dropoff is just too great. So those 2 have to accept their roles off the bench, and be as productive as possible.

LOL @ me. That should read . . . " But we're definitely NOT sitting Al or Smoove, to start either Shelden or ZAZA"

years ago when he had the chance. Can you believe the ignorance of BK for passing that up? I guess it's a good thing we all bought stock when we should have.

Oh and just so you are aware, I am not among the 3. I voted "Knight has made some serious errors and done some good things as well. His future should depend on the performance of the team this season." I voted the same way for Woody.

Quote:

Quote:

Acie has been much more productive as a starter and his +/- with the starters is +20.

http://www.82games.com/0708/0708ATL2.HTM

It isn't like AJ is putting up big numbers. I doubt Acie would do worse than AJ's 6/5 playing 30 mnutes per game.

I do agree Law was better as a starter than he is as a backup now. I still think AJ is better as a starter because he sets up plays early in the shot clock and moves the ball. AJ also is willing to take the open 3 and can consistently knock it down. Law often looks unsure of who he should go to and will wind up throwing the ball to Zaza posting up at the elbow.

As for your 82games link, look at this one: http://www.82games.com/0708/0708ATL1.HTM

This is far more relevant than the 99 minutes you're referring to that Law played with the starters, especially when you look at the -16 that's been produced by Law, JJ, Chill, Smith, and Horford in 47 minutes. That practically cancels out the +22 Law's produced with the starters in 99 minutes.

And overall, we're +37 with AJ on the floor and -83 with Law on the floor. You will really struggle to find statistics to back up Acie playing over AJ.

I really like Acie's defense and finishing, but we're a much better team with AJ at the point right now.

Quote:

You will really struggle to find statistics to back up Acie playing over AJ.

Not really. The team is losing with AJ and he isn't likely to get better all of a sudden.

The last time Law started was against the Raps. Both in the first half and in the second half we outplayed them with Law on the court.

AJ can't break down defenses at all and isn't quick enough to play D like Acie can. This team is obviously going nowhere with AJ running the point. Going by position

http://www.82games.com/0708/0708ATL5.HTM

We are getting killed at the point and getting hurt at center also. Might as well play Acie big minutes and hope he finds a groove because what we are doing now isn't working.

Quote:

Oh and just so you are aware, I am not among the 3. I voted "Knight has made some serious errors and done some good things as well. His future should depend on the performance of the team this season." I voted the same way for Woody.

Knew it, but way to step up and own it.

Quote:

Can you believe the ignorance of BK for passing that up? I guess it's a good thing we all bought stock when we should have.

BK is supposed to represent the brightest mind in the "stock market" and he had the most capitol of any GM to buy stock with. No Wall Street trader supposedly representing the brightest mind and with the most capitol didn't buy Google stock. But then again, THAT IS THE POINT! BK's "mind" isn't bright and his use of capitol is horrendous. As an NBA GM he is attrocious. I, me, myself, have had CONSISTENTLY BETTER pick decisions than Billy f'ing Knight. BK has consistently made the third worst OF THREE possible picks, we still have a frankenstein team, and his choice in Woody is still our coach. Hello?

BTW, What "performance" if any this year constitutes BK be fired? It would seem he should have been fired 2 years ago to the "brightest minds".