• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Fire Billy Knight first By Jeff Schultz

DrReality

The Atl press turns on ASG. And someone has the balls to speak the truth.

Fire Billy Knight first

| Saturday, February 2, 2008, 10:57 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Jeff Schultz This should not be taken as an endorsement of Mike Woodson, because it’s generally not wise to endorse a coach with a career record of 88-201, unless, like, your name is Mrs. Woodson.

But in light of the relative deathwatch that’s hovering over the Hawks’ coach, a question: Has everybody lost sight of the bigger picture?

The NBA trade deadline is Feb. 21. Notwithstanding Saturday’s 104-92 win over the seemingly comatose New Jersey Nets, the Hawks are in need of a new plan and a makeover. The last plan and makeover by the all-knowing (just ask him) general manager, Billy Knight, has gotten them to 19-24. Now, you might believe that 19-24 represents significant underachievement for this roster. But I’m inclined to think Woodson probably was on the mark when he said before the game, “I thought we’d be at about .500 right now.” (That should pump up second-half ticket sales.)

So ask yourself this: With the trade deadline approaching, what would better serve the Hawks’ future: 1) Firing the coach; or, 2) Firing the general manager? (I know. You want the obvious third option. I want world peace. Don’t get greedy.)

If only because of timing: Fire Billy Knight first.

Let his replacement analyze this mismatched roster. Let his replacement orchestrate moves before the deadline. Let his replacement make the call on Woodson, whether that’s on his first day before lunch, or next week, or following the season.

When you build a new house and things start falling apart in three months, you don’t phone the plumber, or the electrician, or the sheetrock guy. You phone the builder who handed you the blueprint, then hired the plumber, the electrician and the sheetrock guy.

It works the same in basketball. How do you dump the coach before you dump the general manager who not only hired him, but also passed up Chris Paul and Brandon Roy in consecutive drafts? I realize the whole point guard thing has been beaten to death. But Paul and Roy both were named to the All-Star Game last week. So the two being ignored by Knight in consecutive drafts is sort of timely.

A new coach might help you in the short term. But Knight shouldn’t be given that hammer.

Yes, Woodson’s record in three and a half seasons is a cartoon-like 88-201 (.304). But it’s not as if he has been a drag on Knight’s career. Knight’s cumulative record in four and a half seasons: 116-255 (.313). Woodson would have to win another 26 in a row just to surpass the winning percentage of Lon Kruger (69-122, .361). But Knight is making Pete Babcock — who made the playoffs eight of 13 seasons — look like a visionary.

The fortunate upside to the Hawks’ record is they play in the Eastern Conference. They’re not dropping out of the playoff race any time soon. But this is when serious teams with serious general managers make moves. Los Angeles just completed a deal for Pau Gasol. Other teams are circling the Nets for Jason Kidd (who drifted through Saturday’s game like his head was elsewhere).

If you’re an Atlanta Spirit partner, do you going to trust Billy Knight to make a move?

Asked before Saturday’s game if a trade could send the right message to players in the locker room, Woodson said: “It could. We’ve kind of sat intact with this team for the last four years, when you talk about Josh Smith and [Josh] Childress and [Tyronn] Lue. There’s never really been a major trade since I’ve been here. I’m not saying that’s the answer. All I’m saying is, if something makes sense that can better your team, you have to do it.”

Woodson’s lifeline is remarkable. This same ownership group trusted Don Waddell to fire Bob Hartley because they were convinced the Thrashers’ coach had lost the team six games after a playoff season. Given Woodson is still employed, we have to assume he is somehow held in higher regard after over 200 losses.

But since they have waited this long, they might as well make the move that makes more sense. Fire the builder, not the plumber.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Atlanta fans/media may be borderline more negative than New York media/fans.

We are the 7th seed in the East after jockeying for playoff position with the Nets, and have one of the youngest most talented rosters in the entire NBA.

I can't believe I even waste my time reading ish like this but it's just beyond aggravating that people could be this clueless and unappreciative

Quote:

I think Atlanta fans/media may be borderline more negative than New York media/fans.

We are the 7th seed in the East after jockeying for playoff position with the Nets, and have one of the youngest most talented rosters in the entire NBA.

I can't believe I even waste my time reading ish like this but it's just beyond aggravating that people could be this clueless and unappreciative

The article is right on the money.

Quote:

You don't print garbage like this after a great game.

I haven't even seen them do that in the NY Post.

The Knicks would kill to be where we were at. Hell the last time they got within playoff reach they got so excited they extended Isaiah's contract.

We get closer to the post-season and our press/fans complain after a win. A win vs a team right next to us in the standings at that

Quote:

Quote:

You don't print garbage like this after a great game.

I haven't even seen them do that in the NY Post.

The Knicks would kill to be where we were at. Hell the last time they got within playoff reach they got so excited they extended Isaiah's contract.

We get closer to the post-season and our press/fans complain after a win. A win vs a team right next to us in the standings at that

Then only thing I can say is that one good game means little in the grand scheme of things.

Quote:

Then only thing I can say is that one good game means little in the grand scheme of things.

What did people want from them tonight?

If they lose they extend their losing streak and lose an entire game on a team they are fighting to make the playoffs over.

They win convincingly snapping the losing streak and people are still complaining.

If they beat the Sixers I bet people will still complain.

Hell would they have to beat the Sixers, Lakers w/ Gasol, and the Cavs for people just to avoid bashing?

Quote:

Quote:

If they lose they extend their losing streak and lose an entire game on a team they are fighting to make the playoffs over.

They win convincingly snapping the losing streak and people are still complaining.

Hell would they have to beat the Sixers, Lakers w/ Gasol, and the Cavs for people just to avoid bashing?

Play well on a consistent basis. Even with that, this team "as is" lacks potential.

Quote:

Quote:

That's the wonder of fanhood. There will always be complainers who [censored] about the stupidest things even when their organization is winning. Hell, the Patriots fan base must be exploding with trolls now that the 'truth' has come out on the 2002 Super Bowl.

I absolutely agree that if someone has to go then it should be Knight first. If I were the owners I would find out whether BK will be making any moves by the trade deadline. If he doesn't believe any moves need to be made then I would fire him and bring in someone that can move a few pieces around and improve this roster for Woody. Give Woody the rest of the season to see what he can do with a more balanced roster and if the team doesn't show improvement then you fire him as well. I know he isn't perfect but I still don't believe the problem is with him.

I have this crazy idea in my head that Larry Brown will be the next GM of the Hawks. I don't know if he wants to be a GM or if he can even be a GM, but with his relationship with Woody and with the respect he gets around the league I could see the ownership group being interested in him for that role if BK is fired. I just don't see the team not making some type of move when the head coach is publicly pleading for the team to do something and the team's superstar has done the same.

Even Mike Woodsen knows deep down that it's time to make a change with the players on the team. A win is nice but we all know it won't be long before this team goes back to embarrasing themselves and their fans. Time for Knight to take a Hike.

• Premium Member

Yeah exactly... Just because we beat a Nets team that is even more pathetic than us, one that has given up completely on the season with their best player basically playing to get traded, doesn't mean we are back on track guys... We still haven't won a damn game that meant anything on the road (except for the Orlando game early in the year... conveniently during the period they decided to play their worst basketball).

LOL, at the people who mock the article because it came after this win... We just came out of, what everyone agreed at the time, our most important stretch of the year, and couldn't win a damn thing... loosing against the NBDL Clippers and blowing a sure lead against Portland, and getting embarrassed against Phoenix and Denver. Damn people WAKE UP this is the FIFTH year since Billy Knight has taken over, this is HIS team... and we STINK. We are 19-24... That is loosing basketball... we haven't had winning basketball in ATL since Knight got here. Not once. His claim to fame was a five game winning streak and a 14 - 12 record that came solely because we played a plethora of home games. If we were in last years East we wouldn't even be in the playoff picture...

Well stated guys. We should be grateful that some writers are starting to care enough to even give some much needed attention to this debacle of a situation called the ASG and the Atlanta Hawks. It's one thing to stay positive and be objective about where this team is headed. It's another to bury your head in the sand and believe things are not what they are. Change of some sort is needed and cutting off the head of the monster, aka Billy Knight, is not going to hurt my feelings. Maybe the Atlanta Spirit could pull their heads out of their own arses and realize this formula has had enough time to show it is a failing one. Look at the Falcons and how they finally said enough. There have to be a few well qualified personnel guys with some other successful NBA franchises who would be willing to take a shot at being a GM even if it is with the Hawks. Find them and tell BK good-bye!

The ASG has made moves as evidenced by letting go of the big wig this month and the Thrasher's coach.

I'd find it hard for them to fire BK, find a replacement and get a trade done in such a short period of time. Stranger things have happened . . . . but ususally for the worse.

I'm glad to hear that BK is getting some heat. I just never thought there would be a chance that he'd geg canned instead of Woody.

Quote:

If you’re an Atlanta Spirit partner, do you going to trust Billy Knight to make a move?

Yep. Great paper right there. AJC is a total dirt rag. I usually like Shultz, too. Pretty obvious their editors are non-existant.

Quote:

WTF???

I'm sorry dude but you are dead wrong!

You see how the NY media has been calling for THEIR owner to leave town??? It took this Damn long for the ATL media to come out with this. We have one of the best young teams in the NBA. We have had Sir Chuck at the beginning of the season say we would be the surprise team of the season and Larry Brown comment about our good young talent. We have had one 5 game winning streak and THREE losing streak of 4 or more games.

You ask me, this media needs it a-- kicked for not coming down harder on the ASG sooner. When you have your coach who says we are suppose to be over .500 that is a tell tell sign you are under achieving.

AND THE ONLY REASON WHY WE ARE STILL IN THE PLAYOFFS CHASE IS BECAUSE OF THE SORRY TEAMS BEHIND US CANNOT PULL OFF A WINNING STREAK

• Premium Member

Quote:

The problem is this: If you have a building that has a foundation problem and still looks good you need to address the problem now and not wait until it collapses and it is too late.

I have no problem with Woodson BUT I do have a problem with Billy and the ASG.