• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Huh? Shaq to Phoenix? Huh?

mrhonline

• Premium Member

http://www.miamiherald.com/594/story/407442.html

Quote:

The Heat has told center Shaquille O'Neal's representation that it is talking about trading him and he should be prepared for the possibility of a deal, according to two officials close to the situation. Phoenix has discussed sending forward Shawn Marion and point guard Marcus Banks to the Heat in return for O'Neal.

Asked for confirmation, one of O'Neal's representatives said O'Neal has been made aware that discussions with Phoenix are serious and ongoing, but that a deal was not definite.

Dallas also has been mentioned as a potential destination, though the Heat had not immediately informed O'Neal of that possibility.

wow....well i guess maybe they'll put him on the bench and pull him out when needed against slow thud teams like san antonio..or maybe they hope he'll try harder in the playoffs...or maybe they think he's a good luck charm in the playoffs...or maybe they're insane.

although he doesnt match their style of play i won't pass judgment but will be fun to watch.

That sure seems like a stupid trade for Phoenix UNLESS they truly believe that they can't win it all as currently constructed. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see Shaq retire after this season and Marion has several good seasons left in him. If I were Phoenix I would make another run at it this year without any major changes to the team and see what happens. They were every bit as good as anyone in the league last year and probably should have advanced in the playoffs. It makes me wonder if maybe Nash doesn't have much left in him and maybe his back is getting to the point where he is considering retirement.

That would be a stunner. Miami would be in full rebuilding mode.

The Suns would just have to become a half court team when Shaq is in which they are certainly capable of. They have Nash and a bunch of shooters to surround Shaq with.

I wonder if they would be pondering this move if the Lakers hadn't just traded for Gasol.

I just saw the interview with Bucher on ESPN.com and he was saying a lot of teams in the west are freaking over the Gasol move the Lakers made but that he really doesn't see this move making any sense for Phoenix and that Phoenix has said the same thing especially considering that their owner is a cheap skate.

• Admin

Miami should be in full rebuilding mode. They are the worst team in the league.

That being said this is an excellent trade for the Heat. However, I think it is terrible for PHX. Shaq is done. I don't see him helping the running suns. They could do better for Matrix.

Quote:

especially considering that their owner is a cheap skate.

The salaries match so that isn't really an issue. Marion has the option to pick up next year for $17 million which they probably will do. Shaq just has two years on his deal after this season.

It all depends on Shaq's health. the Suns could easily save him during the regular season and then play him more during the playoffs. They have enough players that they can win without both Shaq and Marion.

But a healthy Shaq in the playoffs could come in handy.

Quote:

but why would Marion want to play for the Heat, when he could contend for a championship in Phoenix. If he says he doesn't want to play in Miami, than the deal is probably off.

He doesn't have a no trade clause as far as i know, and as much mouthing off as he has done the Suns probably don't care what he thinks.

Quote:

Thats a great question. Im dead serious saying that the Hawks should fight like hell to make sure Marion CANNOT play those last 50 seconds since he was not a member of the tem at the time.

That would be STUPID as all get out if those hoes let Marion play in Shaq's place. What they need to do is just give us the win by default. It's not like the Heat are making the playoffs...that one win could be HUGE in terms of our likely playoff seeding damnit!

Quote:

Unless someone in Phoenix has discovered the fountain of youth this is a horrible deal for them.

Phoenix knows that as currently constructed, that they cannot beat the Spurs in a playoff series. That's ultimately who have been their nemesis over the past 4 years.

If the Shaq deal is a foregone concluson, he is being brought in SPECIFICALLY to help beat the Spurs. This is also a move to try to counter what the Lakers did by acquiring Gasol. The way the Suns lost the other weekend when they lost to the Spurs, who were without Tony Parker, was the damning piece of evidence toward that.

Expect Shaq, when he does come back, to play Eddy Curry-like minutes. They won't wear Shaq out. Here's the big question though: Can they replace collectively as a team, everything that Shawn brought to the table?

Shawn was their best rebounder, finisher, and defender. Who will step up and fill some of those roles? This is either a genius move, or a move that will spell the beginning of the end of the Suns.

Well looks like an unofficial arms race has begun on the western front..the 2 week cold war leading up to the trade deadline tongue.gif

I can see San Antonio adding depth (stoudamire alone wont be enough), Dallas should be in the mix somewhere too...

I think gm's will get more antsy as they see contenders take on risks, get stronger, while middle of pack and conservative gm's hold onto their chips waiting for perfect scenarios (paxson?). Personally i like generous trades in the league...gives the league more life than holding your superstar till death do us part (JO)..

For us, i dont see much trade partners outside Milwaukee/Memphis unless we are looking for picks in return. I wouldnt mind some of seattle's players, but they dont seem to be in a hurry for 2-4 yrs..they might want to shed contracts (watson/ridnour) b4 a move(?) and have the Beasley/Durant OKC show?

If we dont make a move, i just pray they are willing to pay both Josh's...letting one walk for nothing would blow.

edit: hmm wonder if we could market childress to pho as mini marion ... get back our 1st or work our way around getting barbosa(BYC)..barbosa+(skinner/piatkowski) works for childress+(salim/west).

Quote:

Remember the old days of creaky big men. It'll be like the Lakers when Kareem often never made it over half court before its coming the other way.

You guys aren't seeing the big picture.

Miami lacks shooters. The Suns have a lot of them. Put Shaq on a team with a bunch of shooters and he can still cause a lot of problems.

His health is the big question mark.

It also means that Amare will spend less time at center. He has trouble guarding centers and gets in foul trouble frequently, just like Horford.