• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hmm, the Woody/Lue bashing posts slow down

Admin

as the Hawks take the game over and win it. Where were you Woody/Lue bashers when Lue practically won the game for us in the final 2 minutes?

Great game by Smoove, JJ, TLue, and especially big Al shutting Pau down. Marvin was definitely off tonight but I'm not worried about him since poor shooting is rare for him. Smoove with another near triple double tonight, major impressive!!

Even with the big win Woody still gets bashed even though he out coached Phil tonight, particularly getting Joe and Smoove in earlier than 4th than when Phil went to Kobe and co.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

biggest thing I noticed today was we didn't rely on Joe the last 4-5 minutes of the game...to go one on one with the entire opposing team...

WE LET T. LUE DO IT LOL...just kidding...

but I think we passed the ball better and took better shots at the end of the game...

instead of just give the ball to Joe and stand around...

Lue played well and hit two huge shots...

but I'd still like to see Law get some burn...

if Law can hit shots like Lue...

then Law will be a monster...

I have no doubt that Law will be able to hit the big shots at some point in his career but he definitely isn't there yet. We needed TLue tonight to have the guts to take those shots at the end and now that he is healthy he is starting to play like he did at the beginning of last season when he was our best clutch player. I'm still not his biggest fan and I am definitely anxious for the day when Law becomes the full-time starter but we needed a veteran presence tonight and someone with the guts to take the shot instead of waiting for Joe and luckily TLue knocked them down.

We look like a completely different team since we have come home and if we can find a way to even play .500 ball in Feb on that awful road trip coming up we will be in great position for a playoff run.

• Admin

I was not happy with Lue taking those bad shots. We were lucky they were going in but he was not passing the ball at all. Yes, they went in but man he was going to take them even if he was triple teamed. All three of those possessions he did not even look at the rest of the guys on the floor. That last turnover where once again he wouldn't pass but instead drove the ball almost cost us the game.

I know you didnt direct this to me, but I will say this since I am a general critic of both Woody and Lue:

As you probably witnessed during our last game, I gave Lue his props for having a good game. At the same time, I acknowledged that such a game is the exception, and not the rule, with Lue.

I further cautioned that this would likely give Woodson enough license to play Lue insane minutes the next several games at the expense of Law. Guess what? So far I am right.

Did Lue play well? Yep. Was he a large part in why we won? Damn right he was. But was it okay for Law to not even see ONE second on the floor? No way in hell.

As for Woodson...it is great that we got the win over an elite team like the new-look Lakers. However, he still made some mistakes. He left a cold as ice Marvin in there too long, I could say the same for Pachulia, Acie Law got no burn...etc

My biggest problem with him now seems to be his mismanagement of the bench--and his substitutions more specifically.

In summation, Woodson was able to help guide his players to a great win over a great team. Even the staunchest Woodson haters can't dispute that. However, he is just one half of the equation. Coaches coach, but players play. And well, I think we can all agree that our young talent played AWESOME basketball and made Kobe look human and humbled those highly-favored Lakers.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I was not happy with Lue taking those bad shots. We were lucky they were going in but he was not passing the ball at all. Yes, they went in but man he was going to take them even if he was triple teamed. All three of those possessions he did not even look at the rest of the guys on the floor. That last turnover where once again he wouldn't pass but instead drove the ball almost cost us the game.

Exactly... Lue is a selfish player, that is what everybody complains about. He doesn't play team basketball.. It helped us out today, but 9/10 times Lue's play hurts the heck out of the team.

Quote:

9/10 times Lue's play hurts the heck out of the team.

exactly! If those shots didnt go in today, we would blame this loss on him (and on Woody for putting him in). But they went in.

Regardless if its selfish or if 3 people were on him, when you hit shots and it goes IN THE BASKET... it doesnt matter. you will get props for helping the team win the ball game!

Woody did a great job of getting Z out of there when he realized he wasn't doing a damn thing. I would have loved to have seen someone come in and replace an awful Marvin tonight but who could he go to? We don't have a quality backup to Marvin when Childress is already playing big minutes so he didn't have much of a choice.

Think about it this way, had Law played tonight it might have cost us the win. I'm not saying that it definitely would have, but it might have and if it did would it have been worth it to get him a few meaningless minutes at the expense of a win?

As I have said many times I am not a huge TLue fan but people here complain daily about needing someone else to take the big shots at the end of the game other than Joe and TLue has done just that. If he keeps taking those shots and misses them more often than not then he needs to be taken out but as long as he keeps hitting them why on Earth would we not want him taking them?

yep and until we get a full-sized shooter (please BK bring in someone that can shoot that isn't a defensive liability) we should keep using that strategy. Don't let TLue pound the ball as the PG just let him find an open spot and wait for the ball because he is an excellent shooter and we should take advantage of that when we can.

• Premium Member

Quote:

yep and until we get a full-sized shooter (please BK bring in someone that can shoot that isn't a defensive liability) we should keep using that strategy. Don't let TLue pound the ball as the PG just let him find an open spot and wait for the ball because he is an excellent shooter and we should take advantage of that when we can.

I agree with this.

Quote:

I know you didnt direct this to me, but I will say this since I am a general critic of both Woody and Lue:

As you probably witnessed during our last game, I gave Lue his props for having a good game. At the same time, I acknowledged that such a game is the exception, and not the rule, with Lue.

I further cautioned that this would likely give Woodson enough license to play Lue insane minutes the next several games at the expense of Law. Guess what? So far I am right.

Did Lue play well? Yep. Was he a large part in why we won? Damn right he was. But was it okay for Law to not even see ONE second on the floor? No way in hell.

As for Woodson...it is great that we got the win over an elite team like the new-look Lakers. However, he still made some mistakes. He left a cold as ice Marvin in there too long, I could say the same for Pachulia, Acie Law got no burn...etc

My biggest problem with him now seems to be his mismanagement of the bench--and his substitutions more specifically.

In summation, Woodson was able to help guide his players to a great win over a great team. Even the staunchest Woodson haters can't dispute that. However, he is just one half of the equation. Coaches coach, but players play.
And well, I think we can all agree that our young talent played AWESOME basketball and made Kobe look human and humbled those highly-favored Lakers.

LOL @ coaches coach and players play. You're exactly right.

But as soon as we lose, it's solely the coache's fault.

LOL . . poor Woody. Damned if he do, damned if he don't. At least you did give him some credit.

Quote:

Woody did a great job of getting Z out of there when he realized he wasn't doing a damn thing. I would have loved to have seen someone come in and replace an awful Marvin tonight but who could he go to? We don't have a quality backup to Marvin when Childress is already playing big minutes so he didn't have much of a choice.

Think about it this way, had Law played tonight it might have cost us the win. I'm not saying that it definitely would have, but it might have and if it did would it have been worth it to get him a few meaningless minutes at the expense of a win?

As I have said many times I am not a huge TLue fan but people here complain daily about needing someone else to take the big shots at the end of the game other than Joe and TLue has done just that. If he keeps taking those shots and misses them more often than not then he needs to be taken out but as long as he keeps hitting them why on Earth would we not want him taking them?

LOL... yeah he only figured out ZaZa wasn't doing anything 5 minutes too late. I also loved his brilliant tactic of benching players ONE foul before they are in foul trouble. We win in spite of Woodson.

Quote:

I don't mind Lue shooting when he is open. I like when he is in and they let Childress run the ball up. Lue gets open and can hit.

Otherwise, yeah he can be annoying.

Childress can't do that every possession... he doesn't have the handling yet.

I agree that two shots by Lue are bad shots, but he's a streaky shooter and tonight his shot kept going in so I don't have a problem with him taking the second big shot tonight... although he got a little too cocky and turn it over the next possession for 2pts at the other end, he gets a pass on this one.

I think the possession that demonstrate Lue's effectiveness in the game is when Josh Smith pass out of the post for a Lue's open shot.

He has to get Smoove and Horford out of there when they get in foul trouble because they are both very aggressive players and the only 2 good post players that we have. You can't blame him for wanting to keep his best players out of "have to keep them out of the game" position.

• Premium Member

Quote:

He has to get Smoove and Horford out of there when they get in foul trouble because they are both very aggressive players and the only 2 good post players that we have. You can't blame him for wanting to keep his best players out of "have to keep them out of the game" position.

Wrong. He takes them out BEFORE they are in foul trouble... which is pointless. Foul trouble is when you have 2 fouls in the first quarter or three fouls in the second... NOT when you have 2 fouls in the second quarter... There is no point in taking the guy out when he is under foul trouble.. .You are basically taking him out for the entire quarter under the assumption that he will pick up another foul, and then be in foul trouble... Why not play him and see if indeed he picks up the foul... He may or may not, when he does, then you take him out... It's not complicated, every coach in the history of the NBA has coached this way

I disagree with you. I have seen Smoove and Al pick up fouls in bunches because they are both aggressive emotional players and especially Al because of him being a rookie. Besides, 9 times out of 10 when he brings Smoove back in the game he seems to play a lot better, the Philly game being a perfect example. He was playing awful when Woody took him out and then when he brought him back in he was much more focused and took over the game. You might not agree with Woody's strategy with certain players but I would say he knows the limitations of his individual players a lot better than anyone on here.

Quote:

as the Hawks take the game over and win it. Where were you Woody/Lue bashers when Lue practically won the game for us in the final 2 minutes?

Great game by Smoove, JJ, TLue, and especially big Al shutting Pau down. Marvin was definitely off tonight but I'm not worried about him since poor shooting is rare for him. Smoove with another near triple double tonight, major impressive!!

Even with the big win Woody still gets bashed even though he out coached Phil tonight, particularly getting Joe and Smoove in earlier than 4th than when Phil went to Kobe and co.

[censored] that. T-Lue was huge tonight, but I still cringe every time he is in the game. Unfortunately, games like this cement his position in Woody's lineup when we should be bringing Acie along (plus he is already better than Lue - at D at least).