• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

SacBee story says deal is awaiting league approval

DJ_Money

http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/717681.html

Published 2:27 EST...

...and they misspelled Shelden's name.

Quote:

The Kings have reached an agreement in principle to send veteran guard Mike Bibby to the Atlanta Hawks for guards Anthony Johnson and Tyronn Lue and forwards Lorenzen Wright and Sheldon Williams, sources told The Bee on Saturday.

The deal is contingent upon league approval that could come as early as today. According to sources who did not want to be identified because of ongoing trade discussions, there is a 1 p.m. conference call scheduled between the two teams and league officials.

When reached Saturday morning, Bibby said he was a bit surprised to hear Atlanta was the destination, but not that he was going to be traded.

"I had some good times here in Sacramento," said Bibby, who became known with the Kings as one of the league's better clutch shot-makers. "Sometimes you need a change and you never know where that might take you. I just prayed and asked for what might be the best for my family and this is what happened, so you can't question it.

"I'll always have love for the people in Sacramento, the Maloofs and (President) Geoff (Petrie)."

Dallas and New Jersey this week worked out a trade that would send point guards Jason Kidd to the Mavericks and Devin Harris to the Nets as the central figures. However, the trade has not been able to get league approval because of a contract situation involving Dallas swingman Devean George.

The reasons behind the deal for the Kings and the Hawks are clear and different. Atlanta is a young team attempting to make the playoffs for the first time since the 1998-99 season. Sacramento, meanwhile, is trying to clear salary cap space to become a player on the free-agency market as well as increasing its ability to make trades. Each of the players acquired by the Kings has an expiring contract.

Atlanta makes its only visit to Sacramento on Wednesday, and starting for the Hawks in his first game, conceivably, could be Bibby. His expected departure removes the final piece from the Kings core that consistently challenged to make the NBA Finals during the first half of this decade, but never could get over the hump.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL this is BEAUTFIUL.

We get rid of two old PGs, so Acie will be ready to take the helm year after next. We still have all our core guys, potentially Chillz and Marv we can package, and we have Salim and ZaZa, who we can do something with.

I hope all the financials are worked out and we can resign Smoove and maybe Chillz

This sounds good to me. Shelden still had potential, so I'm not so sure about that. I would of rather gotten rid of Zaza than Lorenzen, but that's just me.

Starters Bibby, JJ, J-Smoov, Marvin, Horford

Childress, Zaza, Acie, Stoudemire, Mario, Solo coming off the bench looks good.

Is it just me or do we seem smaller after this trade?

• Admin

I am little sad to see AJ go. He was a quality player for us.

I think Sheldon is going to become a solid player is Sac Town.

I am so happy to no longer have Lue on our team.

This is the right deal for us. Bibby is a top pg in this league. He can hit the 3 and he is very clutch. He will take a lot of pressure off of Joe too which is going to help. He is a leader too which is something else we need. I also like that we kept Law too. Good job BK.

We didn't give up much to make this deal happen which is a nice change.

I have a feeling another deal will be in the works soon too to get us a post player.

Quote:

Yeah, we got a little smaller. But Bibby is a upgrade defensively over AJ and Lue. So that helps in one respect. But Shelden/BLO minutes hopefully goes to Solo now. Much better all around team now.

You hit the nail on the head.

Solomon is now being given a GOLDEN opportunity to shine with the minutes hopefully going to him. Let's see what he can do with atleast 15 minutes a game now!

• Premium Member

Quote:

What do you think we're going to do? Do you think we'll fill those roster spots after the trade any time soon? Just wondering what you guys think.

Sacramento has to waive two guys to get down to 15 guys. Maybe one of those guys is likely to re-sign with the Hawks.

Also, Salim could be moved...

This article says it is waiting league approval since Stern is in New Orleans and last time I checked I dont think trades are approved on the weekends esp a All Star Weekend. I dont see this trade being made Offical Until Tuesday because of the Holiday on Monday. It would be sweet if it were announced today But I dont think that is possible.

Quote:

Yeah, we got a little smaller. But Bibby is a upgrade defensively over AJ and Lue. So that helps in one respect. But Shelden/BLO minutes hopefully goes to Solo now. Much better all around team now.

We need a back up big in the worst way.

Nice Work BK - This will give us such a great run for the playoffs. Dear GOD this is a great trade.

JJ now has a legit perimeter option when he gets doubled.

Smoove and Horford have someone to get the ball on the block

Marvin has someone to get him those open 15 footers

T-Lue will never pound out a 24 second clock in a Hawks uniform

Joe and Smoove see an investment in this team

Solo gets more minutes

Defenses can no longer just key on Joe

More space for Smoove to be Hakeem light

We finally have our shooter

Joe can be Joe again and just drain open looks

No more world hunger......

This is a good day Hawks fans

Quote:

Quote:

We need a back up big in the worst way.

Desperately. I wonder if P.J. Brown is still in shape...or, in decent enough shape to give us 3 months.