• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Should we wait for acie or...

Supporter

Go after big names like baron davis, jose calderon, gilbert arenas...

Me personally i feel that we should stick with acie, the dude can penetrate like steve nash. As much as i hate to say it bibby is setting a bad example he is a shooter and nothing else and i doubt that acie has learned anything.

I made a post about how i think teams are starting to clean their house and starting all over again. Do you think that if a team like phoenix starts over again we can pry steve nash away from them, mainly to teach and mold acie..

Bibby is a lot more than a shooter or a scorer which is why our offense went up 10 points per game once we traded for him. He doesn't get a ton of assists and he turns the ball over too much but he is MUCH more of a PG than anything Acie had seen in a Hawks uniform and it's one of the points that Van Gundy, Jackson, and crew brought up the other day as a reason why we made the deal for Bibby because Acie needed to learn under a legit NBA PG.

Next year we need to go with Bibby and Acie but Acie need a lot more minutes with Bibby playing some at the 2. Hopefully Speedy will be healthy or better yet hopefully we will have brought in a capable 3rd PG to play the spot minutes. I believe Acie will have a breakout year next year once he has a full offseason to train with the team.

He played those guys over the rookies because they weren't ready to play. He didn't play Lo or Zaza over Al so it's not a rookie thing. If Acie puts in work this offseason he should be ready to destroy the summer league and there's no way Woody will play Speedy or whomever the 3rd PG is over him. Woody wants to win and he will play the players that he thinks gives him a chance to win. There shouldn't be any doubting that at this point. If Acie is one of those guys next year he will get a chance.

NO!!! woody does the same mistakes over and over again like a rookie coach

He always subs in chillz at halfway 1st quarter even if marvin is hot, how the hell is he ever going to have break out games. I dont want to hear that he is going to be tired hes an nba player and i havent seen him sweating alot. He always opts to play the vets over the rooks i with exception to horford. He takes out acie when he does one mistake but lets bibby chuck it up when hes cold. Its the same things over and over again. The only types of players that can break the woody walll are players like joe and horf and vets like bibby t lue and aj. I really hate woody for this reason. Even if we had deron williams or chris paul they would be in the doghouse. remember deron williams had a bad first year, whos to say that if he were a hawk that woody would even let him play the second, unfortunately this is whats going to happen to acie and i feel as if his future is ruinied.

I think Acie could be better defensively than Bibby. Surprisngly, even though neither AJ or Lue were exactly shut down defenders on the perimeter, our defense absolutely tanked after the Bibby trade. We scored about 10 more points per game but then gave up about 10 more per game. I have to attribute a lot of that to Bibby since neither Lo nor Shelden played a lot of minutes or were superior defensively-and you can check box scores and see that opposing guards did shred us late in the season.

Acie isn't really any better than Bibby now-he's unpolished, he guesses sometimes and makes mistakes. But I remember one of the marks against him coming out was that people were concerned about his lateral quickness, both to create his own shot and to defend other guards. Well we've seen that he's certainly quick enough.

I think there was a point in the season where Woody became more concerned with his own job security than in developing his players-when the season started, Acie was getting 20 minutes a night, even though they weren't the best 20 minutes. After Acie got hurt, and especially after the Bibby trade (when our depth at PG was depleted) he was lucky to crack 10 minutes a night, and there were plenty of games he didn't even get in. And there's some other games where he played really well for 5 minutes and then rode the bench.

I'd keep Acie on the team as Bibby's backup. I wanna see what it would be like to have Bibby as our starting PG for a whole year (injury free). Bibby has had a huge impact on this team..his experience, 3 point shooting and clutch plays during the regular season definitely helped us make the playoffs but I'd like to see how he will play next year. We just need to concentrate on adding a quality big man to our team to play alongside Hortford at PF and move Marvin Williams to the bench as our 6th man and Josh Smith to the SF position. I say we try to get Jamison or Nened Krstic to come over

Bibby will prove very valuable next season in either of two ways.

1 - He works hard this offseason to get into great shape. His shot returns to form and he averages 6-7 assists a game. He takes on the challenge of molding Acie Law into a solid NBA player

or

2 - Him and his big contract is traded for a star to help the Hawks win next season. Because of his contract and experience he could get something good at trade deadline if the Hawks are ready for Acie to take over.

Acie Law will be afforded time to develop. Mike Bibby will bring something good to this team whether he is on it or not. One year left on his contract is very sexy for teams ready to dump big named superstars. The question is are the Hawks ready to make a run at the finals by adding big names like the Celtics or sit back and let their talent hopefully gel? Its not a given with young teams just look at the Bulls. They took a step back this season. I say go for it while you still have Horford and Joe.

Under any other coach Acie would have made a lot more progress. That's one of the things that drives me crazy about Woody. The bench needs a commitment about how many minutes to expect so they can develop. He's never done that and it hurt us in the playoffs.

You don't know that for sure. It's not like Woody doesn't like to play rookies or something. He played Acie plenty at the beginning of the year and then he got hurt. When he was healthy he played him again until Acie got to the point where he was timid and hurting team offensively. Had Woody kept playing him during that time Acie might have regressed even more, or he might have pulled out of it. Young players can go either way when they are pushed to play when they really aren't ready to. We are a lot better off with him possibly being behind in his development than we are with a guy who completely lost confidence in himself.

• Premium Member

Stick with Acie.

I think Acie has the tools to be a really good PG. We have to grow some patience and play him. Let him learn from mistakes but at the same time, let him lead. This coming year should be the year of Acie. He should be starting by FEB..

Quote:

Stick with Acie.

I think Acie has the tools to be a really good PG. We have to grow some patience and play him. Let him learn from mistakes but at the same time, let him lead. This coming year should be the year of Acie. He should be starting by FEB..

i doubt ownership will let a $15 million player sit on the bench.

That's funny, I wasn't even factoring in Speedy. I agree though, unless it is clear that Speedy is fully coming back then we have to go after another PG, especially considering we probably lose Salim and might lose Chillz. If I were GM I'd already be talking with Memphis about their extra point guards, preferably Crittendon. Going forward with Acie and Critt with some D-leaguer for third string would be perfect in my mind.

Or we might want to try again to get Jarrett Jack. He'll never be a true starting caliber PG but he is solid defensively and would make a nice compliment to Acie and Bibby. I would be happy with Critt as well but Memphis probably won't be ready to give him up just yet.

Quote:

You don't know that for sure. It's not like Woody doesn't like to play rookies or something. He played Acie plenty at the beginning of the year and then he got hurt. When he was healthy he played him again until Acie got to the point where he was timid and hurting team offensively. Had Woody kept playing him during that time Acie might have regressed even more, or he might have pulled out of it. Young players can go either way when they are pushed to play when they really aren't ready to. We are a lot better off with him possibly being behind in his development than we are with a guy who completely lost confidence in himself.

nah,even when Acie started he played Lue more when it was obvious he was greatly inferior to Acie.He would start but he would never play in the 4th and barely in the 3rd.Acie with the starters has always been successful.He only looked bad when he played him with Childress,Zaza,Marvin(who isn't starter calibur) etc.That's why he was so much worse once he lost his starting job because of injury,which should have never happened because AJ didn't even outperform him or anything while he was out.

Quote:

Quote:

Stick with Acie.

i doubt ownership will let a $15 million player sit on the bench. yeah but u can trade a huge expiring contract though.

How was he "greatly inferior" to Law? Law was refusing to shoot from outside and either missing a layup or having it blocked inside. You must be forgetting how desperately we needed points before we got Bibby. I think we were averaging around 93-94 points per game then and that's what Lue did best. Of course he was going to play Lue unless Acie clearly outplayed him and that wasn't the case. Law wasn't outplaying AJ either. Talent wise Acie is head and shoulders better than either of them but that hasn't translated into production yet.

Quote:

When Acie Law is dialed in, we are a 50 win team with no holes. Mike Bibby, as good as he is on offense, is a big gaping wound for our defense.

besides his 3 pointer he's not that great on offense either.When we first got him I was pissed at all the elementary school heaves he was throwing to the opposite side of the court.He was just hurling them up there hoping one of his teammates can get it.He can barely get by anyone.He can just shoot and that's it.