• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Gearon Jr. ON 790...

Diesel

Why does Fratello not get evaluated for his performance in 86? The Hawks blew that series at home and if you can't close a team out at home when you are better (or at least equal) than them you are a failure. It's as simple as that.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Quote:

Mike Fratello is a clear upgrade and is flat out a better basketball coach than Mike D'Antoni, Avery Johnson, and everyone else that is available this offseason.

You are really overrating Fratello, IMO - especially when you put him ahead of guys like Phil Jackson.

again you have nothing to back up your beliefs. There is a reason why D'Antoni is about to get an 18 million dollar contract from the Bulls and nobody is interested in Fratello.

Then again you were SOOO RIGHT about Chris Paul never being a star and your guarantee that Marvin will be a top 10-15 player and that Jim Druckenmiller will be a great NFL QB that I should just believe whatever you say. You are wrong at such an alarming rate it's a wonder why you keep posting crap like these statements.

I need to get home and listen to the interview, but this is exactly the worst case scenario for the Hawks.

Gearon is going to be/is our GM. That seems fairly clear from the comments made here. It sounded like BK resigned because Gearon wouldn't let BK do the job, e.g. hire and fire the basketball people. We all have to now get used to even worse GMing than with BK. Luckily we don't have a draft pick for Gearon to make an even worse pick than BK would have.

The only hope I have left is that the rest of the ASG get their collective acts together and get a real GM for the Hawks, but considering the state of the Thrashers I have no belief that this will happen. By the by, how do the Thrashers not have a HC right now? That is beyond the pale.

I am now officially off the ASG defense band-wagon. I want these idiots away from MY teams. ASG/Belkin PLEASE put the teams up for sale and get the pot of money. After the sale sue each other til the cows come home for the pot. In the mean time let someone else who can handle owning the teams do so.

Quote:

Defensive efficiency. What exactly is that?

All I know is that Phoenix gives up more points per game than the Hawks do and have routinely been among the bottom of the league in giving up points, and I know that Mike D'Antoni has never embraced playing defense as a priority.

He doesn't teach defense. Watch and see. If he is hired in Chicago, they will be in the bottom third of the league in defense for D'Antoni's time there just like Phoenix has been since he has been there.

PPG is not enough to measure defense. If you play a faster tempo there are more possessions and therefore more points scored by both teams.

I don't know if the Suns played any D, but just looking at PPG is useless.

Quote:

Quote:

Woody should be judged based on the regular season and the playoffs

and for the umteenmillionth time I would be thrilled to replace Woody if there was a clear upgrade available. D'Antoni is a clear upgrade. Avery is a clear upgrade. Fratello is NOT a clear upgrade. He hasn't had a team out of the 1st round of the playoffs in 20 years.

First of all that is just your opinion. I don't see how your opinion has anything to do with my reading comprehension. I would take almost anyone over Woody at this point. I have seen him enough to know he just isn't the answer.

As far as Fratello i wasn't a Hawks fan when he was here and didn't watch the teams he coached very often after he left the hawks. I dont' have a strong feeling about him one way or the other but would gladly take him over Woody.

Well, this franchise has been about miss opportunities for years now. I go back to 1999 when they had the opportunity to bring Doc Rivers back to the organization as the head coach and didn't do it. Whether it i

Yes, Doc Rivers really looks like a head coach now. I'm not fooled by Boston's regular season win total. Despite having playoff experienced players they look unprepaired and barely survived pressure from an 8th seed team.

Because you said:

Quote:

Nice strawman

I think it would be better to evaluate a coach based on all the games he has coached and not just 3 games.

to which I had already stated:

Quote:

That's why I said reading is fundamental and again there is a reason why Fratello is not being considered for coaching jobs and why he has to rely on being the "czar of the telestrater". Sorta like the old saying that "those that can, do and those that can't, teach".

Mike Fratello has never had the opportunity to coach a truly talented team. Every team he has ever coached overachieved to get to where they go, and it was mostly due to Mike's coaching. There is a reason that those teams after he left got worse.

I am not overrated Mike Fratello. He is one of the best basketball coaches out there.

The only coaches that are being overrated on here are the no defense playing Mike D'Antoni and the I can take a 50 win team and win 50 games Avery Johnson.

Quote:

Because you said:

Quote:

Nice strawman

I think it would be better to evaluate a coach based on all the games he has coached and not just 3 games.

to which I had already stated:

Quote:

That's why I said reading is fundamental and again there is a reason why Fratello is not being considered for coaching jobs and why he has to rely on being the "czar of the telestrater". Sorta like the old saying that "those that can, do and those that can't, teach".

Since you seem a little confused here is your original comment that i was responding too.

Quote:

I would rather have a team perform better when it counts

To me that looks like you are putting too much stock into three games.

Yeah the 86 Hawks were terrible. He really overachieved with that bunch. Unbelievable.

How many times (over a full season) have D'Antoni and Avery combined won less than 50 games? The answer is 0 times in 7 combined full seasons (4 seasons for D'Antoni and 3 for Avery).

How many times has Fratello won 50 games (over a full season)? 4 times in 14 seasons (.551 winning percentage) and a career 20-42 playoff record (.323 winning percentage)

I was simply saying I would rather have a player/coach that elevates their game when it counts than one who performs worse when it counts. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be evaluated on the whole of their performance.

Quote:

I was simply saying I would rather have a player/coach that elevates their game when it counts than one who performs worse when it counts. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be evaluated on the whole of their performance.

And how exactly did Woody "elevate his game". What decisions stood out as being great moves that were decisive to the 3 victories.

What i saw was him playing a shorter rotation since there was more time between the games for the players to rest. Other than that i didn't see anything special that Woody did.

And if he was suddenly able to make good decisions in the 3 playoff wins where was that ability during the past few years?

When you say that Mike Fratello can't get it done as a head coach because the 1985/1986 NBA Champion Boston Celtics beat the Hawks out in the playoffs in one of the great series we've ever seen......then you aren't thinking clearly.

Those Hawks were a great team, the Celts were simply better.

• Moderators

Quote:

Why does Fratello not get evaluated for his performance in 86? The Hawks blew that series at home and if you can't close a team out at home when you are better (or at least equal) than them you are a failure. It's as simple as that.

In 1986, the Atlanta Hawks were the 4th Seed in the East with a 50-32 record. The Boston Celtics were the defending NBA Champs and went 67-15. Boston won the NBA Title that year and had homecourt over the Hawks.

If you are talking about 1988, the Celtics were coming off 4 consecutive appearances in the NBA finals; were a significantly better team in the regular season by every conceivable measure; and had homecourt advantage in the series.

I DO downgrade Fratello for his lack of success in the playoffs. I would much rather be, however, in a position where the playoffs are a near certainty and the results are bad than in a position where we need luck on our side to make the playoffs at all and then lose the series but get a moral victory.

Quote:

From what he is saying..... this is what I got...

1. Woody is not safe at all. (I don't believe that).

2. We will resign Josh and Josh.

3. We will add to the team in the offseason.

OK... How is that possible?? I think that means that Marvin gets traded...

4. JJ and Doc Rivers gave Woodson a vote of confidence.

He's still talking. I think he pressured BK out... by saying that woody will be kept. I think he will try to get Woody what he wants.... and will probably have to trade either Marvin or Bibby to get it!

Unless I missed something....

No GM has been named..

No players have been targeted as possible FAs..

No confirmation that Andersen will be a Hawk

No players have been traded..

No mention of Woody's fate..

No idea on how next years' team will look...