• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Gearon Jr. ON 790...

Diesel

Well, this franchise has been about miss opportunities for years now. I go back to 1999 when they had the opportunity to bring Doc Rivers back to the organization as the head coach and didn't do it. Whether it is draft picks or head coaches, the Hawks could write a book on missed opportunities.

IMO, the Hawks have a golden opportunity to bring Mike Fratello back, and they are going to pass on it.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

Things I can take from this:

1. Mike Woodson will be retained as head coach.

2. The GM will likely be an in house promotion, because they are more likely to work with Mike Woodson.

3. Josh and Josh will be resigned.

4. They are relying on Mike Bibby.

The funny thing is that it's evident that Gearon Jr. needs a mouthpiece with experience at talking to media.

He originally came on saying that "BK's resignation does not mean that Woody's Job is secured."

However, a few question later, Domino has worked him over and he basically said that Woody will get a new contract.

He also makes it clear that Josh and Josh will be resigned. I don't know if that's the smartest thing to release because Josh and Josh's agents have to be salivating!

A new GM from outside is what the team needs. Especially a guy with experience.

Quote:

Things I can take from this:

1. Mike Woodson will be retained as head coach.

2. The GM will likely be an in house promotion, because they are more likely to work with Mike Woodson.

3. Josh and Josh will be resigned.

4. They are relying on Mike Bibby.

Wow. If this is true then the owners really are mailing it in.

Or it could be David Andersen. Or Francisco Elson. Or Patrick O'Bryant. Pretty much any big man who would cost less than $4 annually. They could trade Zaza to free up that much cash.

And just he HAS to say they will re-sign both Joshes, but let's face it, if a true contender offers Childress comparable money, he is gone. Chill seems like he would be ideal for the Spurs, they need to get younger and more athletic. And Chill is the type of "team first" player who would work very well with Duncan, Ginobli & Parker.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

We're going to get a player that we need

You mean like David Andersen, who they already said they were bringing over as our psuedo 1st round draft pick? Considering he is the type of player that fills a big hole in our offensive ability he would be the first thing that comes to most peoples minds.

Quote:

Get off the sack

I'm truly sorry for what Marvin did to you. You really should seek some type of counseling for it.

I will go on record to say:

David Andersen is nobody's savior.

Quote:

Well, this franchise has been about miss opportunities for years now. I go back to 1999 when they had the opportunity to bring Doc Rivers back to the organization as the head coach and didn't do it. Whether it is draft picks or head coaches, the Hawks could write a book on missed opportunities.

IMO, the Hawks have a golden opportunity to bring Mike Fratello back, and they are going to pass on it.

Agreed. I would be very happy with Fratello, Avery Johnson or some other coach with a viable track record.

I'm not totally against keeping Mike Woodson, because I don't think we should make a change just for the sake of change, but he clearly isn't high on my list right now. I just felt this team underachieved this year as a whole and should have won probably 8 more games. I heard Steve Holman say that he and Dennis Scott counted 8-10 games that this team should have won on the radio yesterday.

This is why I want Fratello. His teams have never underachieved. This team underachieved last season.

Yeah, because we know how great Derek Anderson and Cedric Henderson were in Cleveland. It's clear he should have won a championship in Cleveland considering the line up he had that was oozing with talent and superstar ability.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Yeah, because we know how great Derek Anderson and Cedric Henderson were in Cleveland. It's clear he should have won a championship in Cleveland considering the line up he had that was oozing with talent and superstar ability.

I note the sarcasm. However, Shawn Kemp was a beast... And Andre Miller was the best Young PG in the game.

i gotta ask Dolfan, what is it about Marvin that you are fine with? I haven't been a basher and have even defended him but after the beginning of the calender year, Marvin stopped progressing. Literally stopped. He has many weaknesses and a small forward that has a better skillset (or at least more important to our team) can be had.

Even though Marvin isnt as good as we need, I would normally be fine with that knowing he was going to develop quite a bit more. But again at this point, he stopped progressing and even if he does continue to work hard in the offseason, I can't see him getting all that much better. I could be wrong but I don't see those glimpses of stardom that Josh Smith showed.

Fratello never coached Andre Miller, and Shawn Kemp was a bloated player in Cleveland. He was a beast in Seattle, but he was nothing in Cleveland.

Miller wasn't drafted till 1999, and 1999 is when Randy Whitman took over.

Are you forgetting about Mark Price, Brad Daugherty, etc? In 1994 they had 6 guys average double figures and you are telling me that they shouldn't be expected to win a playoff game? He took Lenny Wilkins 54 win team that went to the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals the year before and won 47 games and got swept in the 1st round (although they get credit since it was against the Bulls).

He won 49 games with the Grizzlies but couldn't win a playoff game.

He had a 3-2 lead over the Celtics AT HOME with possibly the best lineup in Atlanta Hawks history and blew that series.

The fact is that he isn't a big game coach and his track record is worse than Woody's, who took a 37 win team and won 3 games against the heavily favored 66 win Celtics.

To me the main thing that the ownership group has to remember, is it is almost IMPERITIVE to bring in someone from the outside, possibly for the GM position......we cannot continue to live in a bubble without getting a fresh perspective.....devils advocates play an important role in bettering a team by providing challenging questions and alternate answers.....

i dont want a hire from withing for GM....

• Premium Member

Quote:

Fratello never coached Andre Miller, and Shawn Kemp was a bloated player in Cleveland. He was a beast in Seattle, but he was nothing in Cleveland.

Miller wasn't drafted till 1999, and 1999 is when Randy Whitman took over.

Even as a bloated player....

Shawn Kemp was still a beast.

And the PG was Brevin Knight not Miller. You are right.

However, he almost won 50 with that team.

I am NOT fine with Marvin, I would be happy to see him traded if it makes us better, but I'm not going to start praying that Marvin is traded and make up things to make it appear like he will be traded based on benign statements by ownership.

Marvin has one more year to prove himself, to get back on the steady incline that he was on until mid-season this year, before I finally give up on him.

It's convenient for everyone to forget that when he was drafted all the experts said he was a 3-5 year project and he just completed his 3rd year.

I think this is probably a moot point since Woody will be back but D'Antoni would definitely be my first choice since we are built to run and defend and despite KB's claims the Suns were a MUCH better defensive team than the Hawks were and of course were better offensively.