• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Acie Law - Please answer

hawkster411

I'm a college student and havn't had the luxury of having direct tv or a tv in 4 years.

I've be reading about Acie Law. I understand he had a wrist injury that set him back earlier in his rookie season and another injury later in the season.

What I'm curious about was when Acie was healthy, was there any glimpses of promise?

1. Was he a floor leader?

2. Does he attack the rim?

3. Was he better as a offensive or defensive player?

4. Is he a fast tempo type PG?

5. Most of all, is Acie worthy of being the Hawks PG of the future? If so, when do you think he'll take over the PG starting position over Bibby?

• Premium Member

Quote:

I'm a college student and havn't had the luxury of having direct tv or a tv in 4 years.

I've be reading about Acie Law. I understand he had a wrist injury that set him back earlier in his rookie season and another injury later in the season.

What I'm curious about was when Acie was healthy, was there any glimpses of promise?

5. Most of all, is Acie worthy of being the Hawks PG of the future? If so, when do you think he'll take over the PG starting position over Bibby?

The answer is yes.

He really showed good floor leadership. He and Horf talked like Vets. He did attack the rim. The problem with Acie is that his shot wasn't falling. In some cases, it looked bad. However, I'm willing to give Acie another shot. He looks like he can be a strong leader. His defense has to improve. His speed is not blazing but he has good basketball speed with the ball. I think if he can get playing time, he will turn out to be pretty good. I think he had some confidence issues after the wrist injury (as most players who injure their wrist does).

I'm hopeful about Acie. I think he will be able to split time with Bibs early and maybe take over for Bibs by midseason. IF Bibby is not willing to negotiate for a lower deal, he will be traded.

Quote:

Yes he is a floor leader.I remember earlier in the season somebody said he got on to Smith for doing something dumb so Woody pulled Law lol.

Yes he does attack the rim and he's unstoppable.He can get anywhere he wants on the floor when he wants to.

His shot wasn't falling like he's capable of but at times he could knock down some shots. he's a very good on the ball defender.He can keep the quickest of guards in front of him because he has very good lateral quickness.And he's big enough to guard bigger players.His off the ball defense needs work but that just comes with experience but Woody kept him glued to the bench most of time for no reason.

He's the type of player that can play in any system.I wouldn't label him a fast teampo guard but he can get out on the break as well as break down the defense in the half court.

and yes he is good enough to be our PG of the future.I honestly think he can be an all-star or boarderline all-star in the future but that's just me.He should start next season but Bibby is here and we don't know if our retarded coach is gone or not even though it looks like he is gone.I think Bibby should be traded.

Not only do I think Acie is a good player, I think that before it's all said and done, he'll make a couple all-star games at least and be the leader in Atlanta. I really believe that.

He has good size for the position. Has great quickness with the ball, didnt see many that could play D on his drives.

His problem was his shot but we know from his college years he can shoot, I think the wrist and lack of playing time messed with his confidence..

Honestly we need Bibby until Acie is ready and then let Bibby go via trade or whatever...

Quote:

Not only do I think Acie is a good player, I think that before it's all said and done, he'll make a couple all-star games at least and be the leader in Atlanta. I really believe that.

He has good size for the position. Has great quickness with the ball, didnt see many that could play D on his drives.

His problem was his shot but we know from his college years he can shoot, I think the wrist and lack of playing time messed with his confidence..

Honestly we need Bibby until Acie is ready and then let Bibby go via trade or whatever...

Never thought he'd be an allstar, but he could. The thing is that to get really good at anything you have to have a lot of practice. Regular opportunities to work on your game day in and day out. And didn't get that. I'm looking for him to have a breat out year and that could be a significant part of us getting better.

• Premium Member

Was he a floor leader?

Acie looked good when he looked to penetrate. He drew the defense and made some very good passes. He didn't look so good when he tried to be too much of a facilitator. He looks better as a scoring PG than he does a playmaking PG. I think he should focus on scoring 1st and playmaking 2nd. His ability to get into the lane will open up the rest.

He looked like he was trying too hard though to be a playmaker and he made some very bad mistakes. Woodson and his quest to save his job was very unforgiving though. As a result, we didn't see a lot of Acie when he was healthy and when he was on the floor...he tried to play "safe." That really hurt his game because he's not a "safe" player, he's a fearless player.

Does he attack the rim?

DOES he?! Man, Acie got to the rim AT WILL. The problem was that he has to learn to finish on this level. He could get there, but was inconsistent in actually hitting the shot. There were a number of reasons for that including his injury and the fact that he's a rookie. I suppose confidence and limited playing time had something to do with it too. He needs room to grow and an increased role in the offense.

Was he better as an offensive or defensive player?

He strikes me as the kind of player that will do what is asked of him. Were he in Detroit, I have no doubt the kid would be as disciplined on defense as they are. He made some very good defensive plays (often after a bungled offensive move). Though, I am so much more inspired by his ability to get into the lane.

Is he a fast tempo type PG?

Honestly, I think Acie could do well in either the the halfcourt as well as full court. He doesn't need anything to get to the basket. He just goes. He knows how to time passes and he knows how to break down a defense.

Is he the future?

It's hard to tell. He has to learn to finish. He has to improve his outside shot - it was inconsistent to terrible (at best). Someone has to take the chains off of him and give him a bigger role in the offense. If all of that happens, he'll be our PG of the future no doubt.

He has taken Chill's spot as my favorite Hawk.

Acie has shown the ability to be everything we need in a point guard. The problem is that every time he got rolling, Woodson would take him out and see him to the bench. Whenever Acie attacked the rim against Boston, there wasn't anyone who could match his quickness.

I really would like to see JJ moved to SF and Acie at the point with Bibby as SG and Marvin coming off the bench. I don't know why Woodson hasn't tried that more.

Quote:

Acie has shown the ability to be everything we need in a point guard. The problem is that every time he got rolling, Woodson would take him out and see him to the bench. Whenever Acie attacked the rim against Boston, there wasn't anyone who could match his quickness.

I really would like to see JJ moved to SF and Acie at the point with Bibby as SG and Marvin coming off the bench. I don't know why Woodson hasn't tried that more.

of course i'd like Acie to have more playing time but Bibby at the 2 is TORTURE.Bibby can't defend ANYONE to save his life.putting him at the 2 just adds a size disadvantage.He can do it for stretches but not as a starting lineup.

Quote:

Quote:

of course i'd like Acie to have more playing time but Bibby at the 2 is TORTURE.Bibby can't defend ANYONE to save his life.putting him at the 2 just adds a size disadvantage.He can do it for stretches but not as a starting lineup.

So put Acie at the 2 and leave Bibby at the point. JJ to the 3 , with Smoove and Horf.

Marvin and Chills off the bench. If we loose Chillz to FA, then we may HAVE to do this.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So put Acie at the 2 and leave Bibby at the point. JJ to the 3 , with Smoove and Horf.

Marvin and Chills off the bench. If we loose Chillz to FA, then we may HAVE to do this. Acie needs to be at the point.The ball needs to be in his hands.I'd rather Bibby not start or be traded.All he is now is a shooter.but yeah if they did what u said Acie should run the offense and guard the Sg unless it's a really quick PG.Bibby should be the SG on offense but (TRY to) guard the PG

Quote:

Marvin and Chills off the bench. If we loose Chillz to FA, then we may HAVE to do this.

If we lose Chill, but add Andersen and/or re-sign West or a shooter, this could very well be the breakdown of minutes:

PG: Bibby ( 34 min ) - Acie ( 14 min )

G: JJ ( 32 min ) - Acie ( 12 min ) - West/shooter ( 4 min )

F: Marvin ( 36 min ) - JJ ( 8 min ) - West/shooter ( 4 min )

PF: Smith ( 36 min ) - Horford ( 12 min )

C: Horford ( 24 min ) - Andersen ( 16 min ) - Zaza ( 8 min )

It'll be a situation in which Acie would have to at least guard the 2 spot, even if he is playing the point on offense. He'd have to guard the 2 whenever JJ slides over to the 3 to give Marvin a break.

So I agree with you. We may have to go with an Acie - Bibby backcourt at times, if Chill isn't here.

Quote:

I agree.

Hope to see alot of that this season. Not sure if it would work as a starting unit (with all of the dominant SG's in the league). However this is the "small line up" I like best. A penetrator with 2 shooters is a nice combination to have.

Quote:

Quote:

If we lose Chill, but add Andersen and/or re-sign West or a shooter, this could very well be the breakdown of minutes:

PG: Bibby ( 34 min ) - Acie ( 14 min )

G: JJ ( 32 min ) - Acie ( 12 min ) - West/shooter ( 4 min )

F: Marvin ( 36 min ) - JJ ( 8 min ) - West/shooter ( 4 min )

PF: Smith ( 36 min ) - Horford ( 12 min )

C: Horford ( 24 min ) - Andersen ( 16 min ) - Zaza ( 8 min )

It'll be a situation in which Acie would have to at least guard the 2 spot, even if he is playing the point on offense. He'd have to guard the 2 whenever JJ slides over to the 3 to give Marvin a break.

So I agree with you. We may have to go with an Acie - Bibby backcourt at times, if Chill isn't here.

I like it ALOT !

I like that lineup too. Just 3 concerns:

1) Can Acie guard decent 2-guards? I don't expect him to guard the great ones, but can he guard the mediocre ones? He'll have to be tough in order to defend those taller guys.

2) Will Smith play inside all the time, with the smaller lineup on the floor? He'll have to be willing to battle and not drift out to the perimeter with Acie, Bibby, and JJ on the floor at the same time.

3) Can the combo of Andersen/Zaza play center well enough, in order to let Horford play a little more PF? If they can, we may really get to see what Horford can do at that spot.

Well Acie could play some 2 guard if he could shoot (2 guard often called "shooting guard"). We know he has the physical capability to shoot but he hasn't proven it yet in the NBA much. As far as the backup PG guard goes it's pretty much the same deal except his decision-making was what Woody gave up on late in the year. Woody just couldn't gamble his (future) paychecks on the guy so he went with "team dime", JChillz, and a bit of JJ in various situations over Acie.

Acie is a typical "tweener" - 6'3" in shoes - athletic - should be able to shoot - can maybe run the offense for some minutes.

I hope Acie can do well but you really can't rush PGs...and to be honest...you never really know until they "do it". For every Chauncy Billups who does there are a dozen or so who don't.

Hope we got lucky with Acie but I wouldn't pencil him in at 2nd PG right now - send him to the summerleague and see how he does.

Agreed Chris...It'sa small chance but he did do the operation again. Whether that was just to get the "guarranteed contract money" or not - I guess we'll see. I think Acie's scoring problems were partly due to Woody. Gosh I wish he would go away (get fired).