• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sekou: Kwame & Randolph Morris on Hawks' radar.

DJ_Money

About the best we can hope for based on our cap/financial limitations...

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-bl...01/1201_am.html

Quote:

BIG MEN NAMES: Worked a few of my other spies last night for some info about what big men the Hawks are eyeballing this summer and two interesting names popped up.

Could you see Randolph Morris or Kwame Brown in a Hawks uniform?

Both are expected to get a good look from the Hawks’ new brass this summer.

Both also come with risks - the risk on taking on Brown being far greater than the risk of taking on a player like Morris. But they’re both the kind of big men the Hawks need to be able to add to their mix. That depth we’ve been talking about around here all year can be bolstered dramatically with the addition of a reasonably priced big man in the mold of either Morris or Brown.

There are other rookie and free agent big men that will no doubt be a part of the Hawks’ summer league situation (Brian Butch from Wisconsin being the most noteworthy thus far), but I’d argue that none of them would present the intrigue of either Morris or Brown.

• Admin

I think Brown would be a great addition to our bench. He plays good defense and should come cheap. He is the right backup center that we need.

I am not really a fan of Morris.

We also need a backup sg that can shoot the three and a veteran in the looker room. Brent Barry and Michael Finely both fit that need. They should get a look if they are interested in coming to a team like the Hawks.

I also hope we go after Kelena Azulbuki. I really like his game and I think he could be a solid contributor for us.

Id easily take Kwame Brown, so what he may be one of the biggest wasted 1st picks ever. He is an ok player, he doesnt suck despite what people say. Were not going to get much of an improvement out of any of these two but Kwame is bettter then Morris

Kwame would be a good player to bring off the bench because he plays great post defense but you cannot expect him to score or put him on the floor with players who cannot create their own shot. Randolph Morris wouldn't be bad either because he is still young and can become decent.

Why not sign them both? Morris should be as cheap as they come and Kwame shouldn't be more than 2 million per, maybe 3 million. I suppose it would come down to what veteran shooter(s) we can get for the veteran minimum.

Correct me if I am wrong but even after we have spent the MLE and LLE we can still sign players to the veteran minimum, right?

• Premium Member

Quote:

For what its worth, I think Morris and Smoove share primary agents. Morris never panned out like I thought he would so I would also rather take a chance on Brown.

I think that I would prefer Ratliff over both but I would take Brown if he came very cheap.

Yep I agree with that. Theo is well past being useful these days and while Kwame is a disappointment as the #1 pick, he is still young, athletic, and a true 7' center. He might get energized coming home to play too.

Id love for us to get Kwame to come in and get some boards and fouls and rough other teams up. Id also like to see us offer Keven Pittsnoggle to at least our summer league team and maybe some spot shooting minutes during the season. Hes 7' tall and can shoot the 3. Wouldnt help us much defensively but could be a spark plug off the bench as he averaged 15 ppg in the DLeague last year so hed be cheap

I'm still surprised that some team hasn't given Pittsnogle a chance at this level yet. I hated when Syracuse played WVU. That kid can really shoot from deep. He isn't all that mobile and doesn't do much around the glass but at worse he can draw the opposing 5 away from the paint.

Quote:

I'm still surprised that some team hasn't given Pittsnogle a chance at this level yet. I hated when Syracuse played WVU. That kid can really shoot from deep. He isn't all that mobile and doesn't do much around the glass but at worse he can draw the opposing 5 away from the paint.

Exactly and at certain times in the game could isolate horford or smith down low

Quote:

Why not sign them both? Morris should be as cheap as they come and Kwame shouldn't be more than 2 million per, maybe 3 million. I suppose it would come down to what veteran shooter(s) we can get for the veteran minimum.

Correct me if I am wrong but even after we have spent the MLE and LLE we can still sign players to the veteran minimum, right?

very good point... bring KB home baby! Two ATL boys... Maybe, just maybe Al and J-SMoove can bring out the best in him.... if not put Zaza on him. say what you want about Zaza but he will light some fire in his teammates ass. LOL slap1.gif

Quote:

For what its worth, I think Morris and Smoove share primary agents. Morris never panned out like I thought he would so I would also rather take a chance on Brown.

Sorry, but I don't want any Smith allies on this team. Let's keep his name in the discussion if it helps with Smith's contract negotiations, but I'd rather not have anyone to help Smith reminisce about the good ole AAU days when athleticism was enough to win games. While Kwame is far from being a work ethic role-model or intellectual scholar, at least he won't conjur up memories of having success that was not likely predicated on hard work nor smart play.

Truth be told, both of those guys (Morris & Brown) are probably on the opposite end of Al Horford, in terms of hard work and smart play. We need more like Horford to "change the culture" which Sund claims is his mission.

• Premium Member

I think Sund meant the culture of losing. The Hawks locker room seems mild in comparison to other locker rooms around the league. The guys seem to get along and they played hard when it counted. They won every game they played at home during the Playoffs. That's all you can ask of an 8 seed that squeaked into the Playoffs. The most controversial things that happened during that series was Hortford talking smack to Pierce(justified) and Smoove saying that the Hawks were going to shock the world. Oh, and Woody wearing his Championship ring. But I'd say the culture right now is just fine. This team doesn't back down from anybody. The best thing that Sund could do is keep this team together and add either Brown or Morris. Maybe Morris playing with Smoove might wake him up and make him play up to his potential.

Quote:

Truth be told, both of those guys (Morris & Brown) are probably on the opposite end of Al Horford, in terms of hard work and smart play. We need more like Horford to "change the culture" which Sund claims is his mission.

Another way to look at this: What if Horford's work ethic rubbed off on Brown or Morris, a la Garnett (Perkins, Powe, Baby)?