Childress weighing offer from Greek team

wfhawkfan

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

and apparently the organization that he is talking with is sound and professional. Unlike ASG. He went to Stanford and he has the wherewithall to know there is life outside of the ASG, unlike Smith. Let's hope it is a ploy.

Bet Stern is paying close attention to this too.

WTF David Stern don't give a [censored] about anybody.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Really, MrH, how can you not fault the ASG?

Because there's no real precedent for a player of an American-born player of Childress' stature signing with a European team in the height of their career for a few million more than they could make here, that's why.

Sund is doing the right thing by telling Childress to either sign an offer sheet -or- come to him with a S&T deal that would not hurt the Hawks. Asking him & the ASG to anticipate Childress doing something that has NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE would be unfair.

This is a negotiation ploy by Childress' agent to get the Hawks to focus on him before Josh Smith. And it may just work.

(FYI, Charlie Bell did this last year - threaten to sign with a European team - and he's right back here in the U.S.).

Guest Walter

Quote:

This is not about having your cake and eating it too.

This is about VALUE.

What Value would we get from the 6th pick if Chillz walk? 4 steady years and then nothing?

While I like JC, Diesel your above statement is 99% wrong. If we do not sign JS there is not another comperable player out there for the mid level exemption. However, if Childress walks we can find a COMPERABLE player for the cost of the mid-level ex. We likely cannot afford Kwame if we sign both JS and JC so losing JC, while bad, is NO WHERE NEAR "nothing" since we can at least find a comperable (slightly lesser) player and perhaps also sign Kwame.

W

Quote:

Really, MrH, how can you not fault the ASG?

Because they are doing EXACTLY the same thing that any ownership group in their position would do. None of the other RFAs have been signed; are their owners idiots too?

Why would they get in a bidding war against themselves and hamstring their cap figure against the luxury tax, limiting their flexibility going forward?

To this point, things have played out exactly as they wanted. They are holding all the cards.

Childress, to his credit, has found a way to apply pressure to the Group. Let's see how this plays out before we all jump off a building. To this point, they have played this exactly how any other ownership group in the league would. I know everybody wants to get everybody signed (me included), but that is just not how things are done in the NBA.

Childress' agent is thinking outside the box. As Mr.H said, this is UNPRECEDENTED. As someone else in this thread mentioned, I'm sure Stern is keeping a CLOSE eye on this one.

Quote:

Quote:

This is not about having your cake and eating it too.

This is about VALUE.

What Value would we get from the 6th pick if Chillz walk? 4 steady years and then nothing?

While I like JC, Diesel your above statement is 99% wrong. If we do not sign JS there is not another comperable player out there for the mid level exemption. However, if Childress walks we can find a COMPERABLE player for the cost of the mid-level ex. We likely cannot afford Kwame if we sign both JS and JC so losing JC, while bad, is NO WHERE NEAR "nothing" since we can at least find a comperable (slightly lesser) player and perhaps also sign Kwame.

W

I agree. Losing Chillz has minimal impact. Especially since Woodson doesn't know the best way to use him...putting him at the point all too often.

He put him at the point because he didn't have anyone else to put there and Childress is an exceptional ball handler for a guy his size. Had both Acie and Bibby been healthy you wouldn't have seen Childress bringing the ball up the court, which is all he did. He wasn't actually playing the point.

I'd say that Woody put Childress in a position to succeed as well as any other player on our roster, maybe more. Childress is best playing on the baseline and that's where Woody used him.

Quote:

He put him at the point because he didn't have anyone else to put there and Childress is an exceptional ball handler for a guy his size. Had both Acie and Bibby been healthy you wouldn't have seen Childress bringing the ball up the court, which is all he did. He wasn't actually playing the point.

I'd say that Woody put Childress in a position to succeed as well as any other player on our roster, maybe more. Childress is best playing on the baseline and that's where Woody used him.

There were plenty of games where Acie was healthy when he put Chillz at the point, where he was almost invisible. One benefit of losing Chillz might be that Marvin will have more pressure on him to step up. Maybe Chillz coming in every game in the 1st qtr messed with Marvin's ability to get into the flow of the game.

I don't think Childress will sign with Olympiakos. Each year Olympiakos allegedly comes close to signing an established american NBA player, but in the end it's always just a marketing strategy to show the fans how big and rich Olympiakos is. I think it's just a con to force a SNT to another team that didn't make an offer the Hawks liked.

• Premium Member

Thanks, jhay. I thought I was swimming alone here.

What I think we can all agree is that this should increase the S&T offers coming into Atlanta. That might actually work in Sund's favor.

I wonder if the Greek offer is really a better alternative to taking the QO. Taking the QO has its risks (injury), but it does give the player his freedom from being an RFA in exchange. Going to Europe only gives Childress money, and it costs him the prestige of playing in the best league in the world. Plus, he doesn't get his freedom from RFA...

(As an aside, I think Stern should work to make things more competitive vs. European teams - multi-year QO's instead of one-year).

Childress was never the point though, he merely brought the ball up the floor to take the pressure off of the PG and allow him to rest a little. Either that or he brought the ball up to give to Joe to run the offense. There was really only one stretch of the season where he used this strategy often and that was after Acie got hurt the 2nd time and Bibby was gimped up.

I'd love to think that might help Marvin and you might be right.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Losing Childress without getting anything in return would be a devastating loss for the Hawks.

No it wouldn't. If he walks then the Hawks can get guys who actually fit the team. We need guys who can shoot from the perimeter. That would open things up inside and more importantly get Smith off the 3 pt line.

Letting Childress walk would be better than resigning him.

Exodus,

That is a pretty good point and I had not thought about it. A player who could shoot would be a benefit. Childress shoots like a 5th grader.

Hawk88

Regardless of how Childress shoots... It goes in more often than anyone else on the team. Period. Moreover, Exodus always wants to focus on what Chillz doesn't do, but he totally misses all the things he does do for the team. So, in actuallity, it's not a good point.

Moreover, If you're so worried about 3 pt shooting, why do we still have a guy who only shot 10 three pters on the year starting at Sf? Don't talk to me about wanting better three point shooting and then try to convince me that we should keep Marvin over Chillz or Smoove.

Childress value is that he gets a lot of offensive rebounds and puts the ball back in the hoop. The offense doesn't run through him so he gets points without taking away points from others. I don't want to lose him but it wouldn't be a terrible loss except he was drafted at 6 and we get nothing for him in return. For a 6th man, he is a good player, but 8 million a year for a 6th man? Seems a bit rich.

Hawk88

Quote:

What I think we can all agree is that this should increase the S&T offers coming into Atlanta. That might actually work in Sund's favor.

I wonder if the Greek offer is really a better alternative to taking the QO. Taking the QO has its risks (injury), but it does give the player his freedom from being an RFA in exchange. Going to Europe only gives Childress money, and it costs him the prestige of playing in the best league in the world. Plus, he doesn't get his freedom from RFA...

(As an aside, I think Stern should work to make things more competitive vs. European teams - multi-year QO's instead of one-year).

Well this in and of itself isn't ASG's fault. The fact is that the Euro team gave him a better offer than what I'd be willing to pay for him. Chil won't ever be a star here and might enjoy being treated like the man for a minute in Europe, if he loves it over there (legitimately does seem like the type that might) he could stay and if he doesn't, he could come back in 3 years after the RFA restriction wears off and get an offer from a team desperate to make a splash in FA (like GSW this season).

It is ASG's fault that they've allowed themselves to look like morons by not advancing anywhere with Smith or Childress. If this happened and the Smith situation was close to being resolved, it would just seem like Chil got a good deal elsehwere. The way its happening now though makes it seem like ASG just doesn't know how to manage players which could further damage their rep and make it harder to run a team in the future.

• Premium Member

Quote:

It is ASG's fault that they've allowed themselves to look like morons by not advancing anywhere with Smith or Childress.

As far as I can tell, no one knows how things are progressing with Smith or Childress.

These ups-and-downs are almost always a part of the RFA process, and there's no reason to think that this situation is any different. For the ASG to bid vs. themselves seems awfully stupid.

Quote:

Quote:

Well this in and of itself isn't ASG's fault. The fact is that the Euro team gave him a better offer than what I'd be willing to pay for him. Chil won't ever be a star here and might enjoy being treated like the man for a minute in Europe, if he loves it over there (legitimately does seem like the type that might) he could stay and if he doesn't, he could come back in 3 years after the RFA restriction wears off and get an offer from a team desperate to make a splash in FA (like GSW this season).

It is ASG's fault that they've allowed themselves to look like morons by not advancing anywhere with Smith or Childress. If this happened and the Smith situation was close to being resolved, it would just seem like Chil got a good deal elsehwere. The way its happening now though makes it seem like ASG just doesn't know how to manage players which could further damage their rep and make it harder to run a team in the future.

would the RFA 'wear off?' as long as they continue to make him a qualifying offer then the hawks still have his rights, right?

• Premium Member

Quote:

I'm noticing that Posters are quick to call the ASG morons and I don't know why. They carefully calculated Smith and Childress' market value this summer, made the gamble to not over pay them before the season and it turns out that they were right. There is no market for either player in the NBA for the amount of money each player's agent is looking for this year. Now those of us who just want to throw money at this situation just to make it go away are the ones who are not using their brains. Any CEO can just over spend in a business to make things work! Unfortunately, most businesses have what is called a budget and that is why you spend money on such a person to make your business work under pre-set budget guidelines. This person also is responsible for evaluating what is worth spending money on vs an alternative! Meaning once a person or product has priced himself/itself out of the market, the CEO then makes the call to go with an alternative. For some reason, possibility of Sund/ASG being right about going with an alternative plan is never considered on this MB! Chill out and be patient! It will all work out!

Quote:

Quote:

It is ASG's fault that they've allowed themselves to look like morons by not advancing anywhere with Smith or Childress.

As far as I can tell, no one knows how things are progressing with Smith or Childress.

These ups-and-downs are almost always a part of the RFA process, and there's no reason to think that this situation is any different. For the ASG to bid vs. themselves seems awfully stupid.

Well you are right that no one REALLY knows whats going on. That being said, I have a media tolerance threshold. When Bucher/Mannix were reporting that Smith wanted out because of Woody, I smelled BS. I know those guys don't have a clue. I do tend to believe Sekou on these types of issues. He's saying that things have stalled, and the ASG isn't a group that can afford to look dumb or have players question them. The Hawks made a major coup in overpaying for Joe Johnson. That was the first step in the right direction regarding outside perspective of this franchise - you have to weigh the potential cost savings of an extreme lowball strategy against the damage that could hypothetically be done to the franchise if Smith either a) actually wants out or b) signs but plays for a trade.

Props to Childress' agent....this is good and interesting stuff. But I don't think I believe it. Why would Olympiakos want to offer that much money for a player like Childress? I'm not even sure he would make a very good Euro player, I thought they valued a jump shot over there?

Hawks have to call this bluff. We simply have to get it done with Josh Smith first, sorry Chillz that's the way it goes. We need to know what Smith is going to cost before making you a deal, it's the reality of the luxury tax. JS is much more irreplaceable. You don't like it? Get to stepping.

The timing of this posturing is strange to me. Childress and Babby MUST know that his deal can't get done first, no matter what leverage they cook up. If they push the issue, I believe ASG will have little choice but to let him walk. I would rather they didn't, and I believe we CAN afford both of them, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Quote:

Quote:

No, these things only go on with the hawks. you say, "what about the other teams with restricted free agents, blah, blah, blah." the other teams don't have a history of being incompetent. we need the joshes, why not just sign them. no matter what, they are going to bid against themselves, there's no one left to make a bid (except Europe). the hawks have to be the only team that has done NOTHING player related in the offseason. Its almost august and the front office has done nothing to improve the product on the court. at a time when there is so much hope. ownership has to be downright broke or downright cheap.