• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sasha Volkov Brings Up An Interesting Stat...

Diesel

Lets see here Dolfan, marvin has two games of note but Smoove has been a GO TO GUY the entire season. Advantage Smoove!

I don't have to make up scenarios to fit my "requirements" because Marvin doesn't have a body of work to go on other than, a good homecoming game and one playoff game. Let the man have a season where he is more than just a complimentary piece then defend him if as if he was a star on this team.

Marvin was our most consistent player the 1st half of the season and his scoring average was equal or better than Josh Smith's. Joe was our go to guy the 2nd half of the season. Josh has his moments where he blows up, but he also has his moments where he just plain blows and that is no the definition of a go to guy.

Perhaps this is where you problem comes in, you believe that anyone defending Marvin sees his as a star, rather than as a nice piece like we actually do see him as, while you see him as a lazy kid who just wants to ride the bench.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marvin was our most consistent player the 1st half of the season and his scoring average was equal or better than Josh Smith's. Joe was our go to guy the 2nd half of the season. Josh has his moments where he blows up, but he also has his moments where he just plain blows and that is no the definition of a go to guy.

Perhaps this is where you problem comes in, you believe that anyone defending Marvin sees his as a star, rather than as a nice piece like we actually do see him as, while you see him as a lazy kid who just wants to ride the bench.

You might as well give it up Dol. Smoove scores 17 a game and he is great. Marvin scores 15 a game taking 2.5 less shots and he is a lazy scrub. When Zone sees that as logic there is no point debating.

The real logic for almost all of the Marvin haters and Smoove nuthuggers is this..

Marvin was drafted to high and he isn't Chris Paul. Smoove is local, flashy, and he won a dunk contest. So by that logic Smoove is a star and Marvin is a scrub. Thats where their entire love and hate relationship with these 2 players begins and ends. They ignor the facts that after all is washed out they both have strengths and weaknesses that actually make them about equally productive on the court.

Edited by tmac13

You might as well give it up Dol. Smoove scores 17 a game and he is great. Marvin scores 15 a game taking 2.5 less shots and he is a lazy scrub. When Zone sees that as logic there is no point debating.

The real logic for almost all of the Marvin haters and Smoove nuthuggers is this..

Marvin was drafted to high and he isn't Chris Paul. Smoove is local, flashy, and he won a dunk contest. So by that logic Smoove is a star and Marvin is a scrub. Thats where their entire love and hate relationship with these 2 players begins and ends. They ignor the facts that after all is washed out they both have strengths and weaknesses that actually make them about equally productive on the court.

Equally productive? How many games has Smoove helped the Hawks win in the fourth quarter compared to Marvin? You are the classic fan who looks at stats to figure the worth of a player.

Dolfan the thing is you are ok with what Marvin is bringing to the table I am not. If he's gonna be a role player at SF he at least needs to be a three point threat.

Equally productive? How many games has Smoove helped the Hawks win in the fourth quarter compared to Marvin? You are the classic fan who looks at stats to figure the worth of a player.

Dolfan the thing is you are ok with what Marvin is bringing to the table I am not. If he's gonna be a role player at SF he at least needs to be a three point threat.

Where have I said that I'm okay with Marvin's production? Where? Just to clarify for you, I (like any other supporter of our players, Marvin included) would like to see Marvin get stronger and work on his range. I'm not satisfied with the production of ANY of our players, just like I'm sure none of the players are satisfied with their production either.

You sure do have a terrible habit of making assumptions.

You're right Tmac, I guess it just gets on my nerves when people make assumptions that are in no way supported by fact, but try and pass it off as fact.

I don't remember who it was (might have been you) that mentioned the thought of what if Marvin was drafted 17th and Smoove was drafted 2nd how they might be perceived differently.

Where have I said that I'm okay with Marvin's production? Where? Just to clarify for you, I (like any other supporter of our players, Marvin included) would like to see Marvin get stronger and work on his range.

Now this is music to my ears. As long as you are not satisfied with what he has brought to the table we are somewhat on the same page. MW(unfairly or not) came into the NBA with much hype. Now he will be held to higher standards than Smoove or any other Hawks player in some fans eyes. Don't cry for him though because he chose to come out early.

Guest Walter
You're right Tmac, I guess it just gets on my nerves when people make assumptions that are in no way supported by fact, but try and pass it off as fact.

I don't remember who it was (might have been you) that mentioned the thought of what if Marvin was drafted 17th and Smoove was drafted 2nd how they might be perceived differently.

Imagine if JS decided to spend his first 8 off-seasons focusing upon his education and not his profession. Imagine if JS had to be told to "work on his game" by assistant coaches. Imagine if MW was working on SKILLS with Hakeem and others rather than playing pick-up games with Sean baby fat May. Imagine if MW showed an ounce of passion and JS came into his NBA tryout out of shape and disinterested in basketball. Imagine if MW was remotely statistically as good overall as JS or had shown as much improvement as JS despite having a year of UNC under his belt.

MW isn't a waste because his ability carries him and he will always be servicable, but his lack of passion for the game, his lack of basketball off-season aspirations, and his utter failure to work on his game make his exceedingly meager gains hard to watch. A hard working MW could be a hell of alot better but we'll never see know it first hand.

W

I think a one on one game would be very interesting. From my experience, unless there are major differences between size/speed, the best shooter tends to win. Of course defense factors into the equation, as well.

Dolfan, your logic about Marv's Seattle game being representative of what he could do with more shots is tragically flawed. By that same logic we should give Smith more shots because in the 8 games he took 20 or more shots he averaged 29ppg.

Think about it, if you are hot, you get the ball more. Marv isn't all that more efficient than Smith %-wise. He shoots .462 on fewer shots, Smith shoots .457 and he creates his own shot far more often. Marv will get more shots when he learns how to post up or shows that he has the coordination to pull-up off the dribble. If his offensive game in the half-court is limited to midrange jumpers and attacking the hoop when his defender is in recovery, he is going to have to be a more accurate jump shooter or extend his range if he wants more shots.