• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sasha Volkov Brings Up An Interesting Stat...

Diesel

• Premium Member

IN another thread in which I won't hijack..

SV brought up this stat.

The statheads are going crazy right.

It's clutch mpg..

Marvin is third on our team in Clutch mpg..

But I noticed something.

In the Clutch... Marvin's scores were 100% assisted.

That means he's the biggest leech on the court.

As much as we talk about players not being able to create for themselves... Marvin is the King of NON Creation and the stats prove it!

Marvin = KNC.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SV brought up this stat.

It's clutch mpg..

But I noticed something.

As much as we talk about players not being able to create for themselves... Marvin is the King of NON Creation and the stats prove it!

Marvin = KNC.

You mean Marvin is the best on our team at getting in position for his shot and getting the most value out of our 30 million dollar PG/SG combo? Wow I had no idea he was that good at that so thanks for finding that stat.

SV brought up this stat.

It's clutch mpg..

But I noticed something.

Marvin = KNC.

you get some type of rush off of stuff like this huh Diesel. you honestly love it. you don't just hate marvin. you actually LOVE to HATE marvin. :inlove1:

That stat is not telling if player is clutch or not. It just tells you how the player scores his points. It's pretty sad that he didn't score one point without someone getting him the ball, but in the same time he is not asked for it. The ball is in JJ's, Bibby's or Smoove's hand. Actualy i can't believe that, i am sure he scored at least some points without being assisted and he gets to the freethrow line a lot. I remember one game he scored like 12 points of freethrows in 4th qtr and that's huge. Also one more thing, in the 4th qtr Woody runs the same kind of offense every time down the court. Joe has the ball and Marvin is usualy in the corner or on a wing waiting for a pass out of the double team. He can knock that jumper, something that Smoove and Chillz can't exatcly do. He is a bigger threat on offense than Chillz and his 30% unassisted points.

• Premium Member
That stat is not telling if player is clutch or not. It just tells you how the player scores his points. It's pretty sad that he didn't score one point without someone getting him the ball, but in the same time he is not asked for it. The ball is in JJ's, Bibby's or Smoove's hand. Actualy i can't believe that, i am sure he scored at least some points without being assisted and he gets to the freethrow line a lot. I remember one game he scored like 12 points of freethrows in 4th qtr and that's huge. Also one more thing, in the 4th qtr Woody runs the same kind of offense every time down the court. Joe has the ball and Marvin is usualy in the corner or on a wing waiting for a pass out of the double team. He can knock that jumper, something that Smoove and Chillz can't exatcly do. He is a bigger threat on offense than Chillz and his 30% unassisted points.

See the thing is, people talk about utility players... but Marvin is the biggest Utility player we have. Usually, 100% assisted is reserved for defensive stoppers who never developed an offensive game. Well, Marvin is not even that. He's a stand still shooter... who cannot create for himself.

Is he a bigger threat on offense??

It seems to me that 100% assisted tells me that he needs somebody to feed him the ball. That means that he's dependent on JJ or JSmoove or Bibby to get him the rock. Funny thing is Chillz played the exact same position...

How many times, in the clutch.. have you seen Marvin do this?

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Funny thing is that Marvin assisted him on that play. I think the reason why he is assisted on all points in the 4th qtr is because our 4th qtr offense is different. In the 4th qtr Joe gets doubled more and he needs a player to spread the floor. Also Chillz can't shoot so he is standing under the basket getting his usual putback and second chance points. Smoove can't shoot either so someone has to be on perimeter. Chillz is a better finisher than Marvin everyone knows that. I am just saying that we need Marv in the 4th especially to be a outside threat and that's why he needs to develop a 3 point shot.

• Premium Member
Funny thing is that Marvin assisted him on that play. I think the reason why he is assisted on all points in the 4th qtr is because our 4th qtr offense is different. In the 4th qtr Joe gets doubled more and he needs a player to spread the floor. Also Chillz can't shoot so he is standing under the basket getting his usual putback and second chance points. Smoove can't shoot either so someone has to be on perimeter. Chillz is a better finisher than Marvin everyone knows that. I am just saying that we need Marv in the 4th especially to be a outside threat and that's why he needs to develop a 3 point shot.

It's wishful thinking to think that a guy will go from making 1 out of 10 three pointers on a season to being a 3 pt threat. You can't even blame coaching. On his career, the best Marvin has done is 24%. That's horrid for a Sf.

Moreover, you say that Chillz can't shoot?

He's hit far more 3s than Marv.

IF everybody did what Marvin does, we'd have a team filled with midrange shooters who hit a very high %. However, Marv does nothing to spread the floor out. That's why he's 100% assisted. He's always wide open for the midrange shot. Does that help? Not really. We need some outside shooting too. My guess is that if Marvin shot more 3 pters that he'd probably be a 40% shooter... So it's best that he doesn't.

u call taking the ball from the 3 pt. line and driving all the way to the basket an assist? if it was like that in the play by play than it's bogus. Childress did that himself. Has Marvin every drove in for a big finish like that before? I've only see him take it halfway to the basket with an open path. Marvin would lose that ball and/or trip and fall 10 times out of 10 if he tried what Childress did in that NJ game.

IF everybody did what Marvin does, we'd have a team filled with midrange shooters who hit a very high %. However, Marv does nothing to spread the floor out. That's why he's 100% assisted. He's always wide open for the midrange shot. Does that help? Not really. We need some outside shooting too. My guess is that if Marvin shot more 3 pters that he'd probably be a 40% shooter... So it's best that he doesn't.

Do you even realize that you just contradicted yourself there? It sounds to me like even you know that he DOES in fact spread the floor out since even YOU admit that he is "always wide open for the midrange shot". If he didn't spread the floor out, don't you think he would be caught up in a cluster f*ck in the paint or someplace else?

Do you even realize that you just contradicted yourself there? It sounds to me like even you know that he DOES in fact spread the floor out since even YOU admit that he is "always wide open for the midrange shot". If he didn't spread the floor out, don't you think he would be caught up in a cluster f*ck in the paint or someplace else?

um I thought spreading the floor meant spreading the defense out therefore if he's wide open he isn't keeping the defense out there to check him. His man can just go double somebody usually Joe who assists him pretty much everytime.

um I thought spreading the floor meant spreading the defense out therefore if he's wide open he isn't keeping the defense out there to check him. His man can just go double somebody usually Joe who assists him pretty much everytime.

Spreading the floor means creating an opportunity to score by having proper spacing on the floor which Marvin is perhaps the best on our team at. It absolutely cracks me up to hear him being criticized for this considering how good he is at it and how poor some of our players are at it. He can be faulted for many things, but this isn't one of them.

See the thing is, people talk about utility players... but Marvin is the biggest Utility player we have. Usually, 100% assisted is reserved for defensive stoppers who never developed an offensive game. Well, Marvin is not even that. He's a stand still shooter... who cannot create for himself.

Is he a bigger threat on offense??

It seems to me that 100% assisted tells me that he needs somebody to feed him the ball. That means that he's dependent on JJ or JSmoove or Bibby to get him the rock. Funny thing is Chillz played the exact same position...

How many times, in the clutch.. have you seen Marvin do this?

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

• Premium Member
Spreading the floor means creating an opportunity to score by having proper spacing on the floor which Marvin is perhaps the best on our team at. It absolutely cracks me up to hear him being criticized for this considering how good he is at it and how poor some of our players are at it. He can be faulted for many things, but this isn't one of them.

Wow, that's a new definition of spreading the floor? Are you making this up as you go along?

Guys who spread the floor usually make themselves such a threat that the defense has to leave it's planned spacing. This creates holes in the defense whereby slashers or shooters or low post scorers can score easier.

If you'll notice... when we play, Marvin is always open. he's not feared. In fact, other teams believe that they can get to Marvin or cut off the passing lane to Marvin because he's in the midrange. That's the fallacy behind midrange scorers. If all you are are a standstill shooter, you will not draw attention. You're always one to two steps away from a defender. IF Marvin was a scoring threat, we'd be feeding him every play. However, it doesn't work that way.

• Premium Member

Haha, who did Marvin Beat off the dribble (some guys falling out of bounds)??

I'll take your Marvin Williams scoring with no defenders presence.. and I'll raise you a Chillz over KG!