• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sasha Volkov Brings Up An Interesting Stat...

Diesel

I'm somebody now! Millions of people look at this site everyday! This is the kind of spontaneous publicity - your name in print - that makes people. I'm in print! Things are going to start happening to me now.

That's not funny. But he is one hell of a banjo player. I'll give him that.

Sorry, no offense. I'm kinda' like The Dude about Steve Martin. Especially in that one.

Edited by TroyMcClure

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Childress shot 63% from the foul line during the last 5 minutes of games. Talk about a choker.

That's what happens when your stroke is so absurdly broken.

I've been skimming this thread and it seems like most people are taking shots at D just because he hates Marvin, giving no credence to a very telling stat. If Marvin was like Glen Rice, I wouldn't give a damn. But sadly, he isn't. The fact that he has zero range and zero buckets driving by himself is something to take note of. Marvin is like so far down on the list of problems, though.

Guest Walter
Childress shot 63% from the foul line during the last 5 minutes of games. Talk about a choker.

It's one thing to shoot 63% from the FT from the clutch (which isn't a choker by any stretch). 63% from the line can be improved. However, MW is so afraid of failure that he preemptively avoids it by not even TRYING to be clutch and therefore never having to OFFICIALLY be a choker (although he continually is one due to his unwillingness to ever try to be clutch).

MW would have to be body snatched to overcome never having an UNassisted FG in the clutch. That's a level of a lack of passion that is so deeply bred into him you can never exorcise that demon.

Hell, I played in like 5 games in my HS career for a grand total of 10 minutes (if that) and I still made an unassisted clutch basket. A lucky floater yes but still. I only remember it because that was about all I ever did. So much for my NBA dreams.

W

Edited by Walter

It's one thing to shoot 63% from the FT from the clutch (which isn't a choker by any stretch). 63% from the line can be improved. However, MW is so afraid of failure that he preemptively avoids it by not even TRYING to be clutch and therefore never having to OFFICIALLY be a choker (although he continually is one due to his unwillingness to ever try to be clutch).

MW would have to be body snatched to overcome never having an UNassisted FG in the clutch. That's a level of a lack of passion that is so deeply bred into him you can never exorcise that demon.

Hell, I played in like 5 games in my HS career for a grand total of 10 minutes (if that) and I still made an unassisted clutch basket. A lucky floater yes but still. I only remember it because that was about all I ever did. So much for my NBA dreams.

W

Marvin got to the foul line 3 times as often as Childress during clutch time and shot 80% so obviously he was doing more than just standing around taking open shots.

An 80% foul shooter shooting 63% at the end of games is straight up choking.

W

Once again, the hate that you and Diesel have for Marv has blinded you to the obvious. :nono: Marv was more clutch than Chillz. Period.

Marv scored 19.8 pts per 48 minutes of "clutch time." Chillz scored 13.0.

Marv grabbed 7.8 rbs per 48 minutes of clutch time. Chillz grabbed 5.8.

Marv attempted 14.9 fts per 48 minutes of clutch time. Chillz attempted 5.3.

Marv made 80% of his fts per 48 minutes of clutch time. Chillz made 63%.

Marv grabbed 2.8 steals per 48 minutes of crunch time. Chillz grabbed NONE.

Bottom line, Marv scored a LOT more, grabbed significantly more boards, got to the FT line a LOT more, made a MUCH higher percentage of his FTs and grabbed FAR more steals. He was more clutch than Chillz on BOTH ends of the floor. Amazing how Marv could perform SO much better than Chillz in the clutch while "not even TRYING to be clutch" and while "being so afraid of failure."

It is also amazing how Marv could get to the FT line SIGNIFICANTLY more in the clutch than ANYONE on our team while being so "non-aggressive." That includes JJ, who had more than TWICE as many shot attempts per 48 as he did as well as Smoove, who had nearly twice as many. Obviously, Marv was more willing to go into the lane and create contact in the clutch than anyone on our team, which is EXACTLY what you are SUPPOSED to do in crunch time.

Edited by Traceman

The point that you're trying to get over is that we can't do the 2005 draft over and we're stuck with Marvin.

I agree we can't do the draft over... However, for all the hype that Marvin still gets on this board, I want it quieted to a hush until he actually does something worthy of praise. Everyday, I listen to more lies about Marvin... "Marvin will increase his 3 pt shooting ability this year.". "Marvin is a great defensive player." "Marvin creates for himself unlike Chillz." "Marvin is the best candidate for Sf.". You see, it's lies like this that make people believe that Marvin is the best starter and the best player we have. I vehemently disagree. I said from Jump that CHillz outplayed Marvin, brought fire every game.

You say let it go, but you notice that every year, we lose another player because of Marvin? Every year, we play another player out of position because of Marvin.

How wonderful would this team be if we had Smoove at Sf, Horf at PF and we went out and got a Center? Wait, I hear the false argument coming.... Marvin is a better Sf than Smoove. Marvin shoots better from outside or better yet, Smoove is not a good outside shooter. Well Hello.. 1 for 10 on the season is not good from outside. Moreover, Smoove can actually create for himself.

So my purpose is to bring TRUTH into the conversation... Or is it that you don't care about truth?

Does your version of the "TRUTH" see that Marvin was FAR more productive in the clutch than your boy Chillz?

Boy, the TRUTH hurts doesn't it! :dancing18:

Guest Walter
Marvin got to the foul line 3 times as often as Childress

Thanks ENTIRELY to the ASSISTED help of others.

LOL, the guy NEVER got an UNassisted FG in clutch time. Now THAT'S pathetic. No defending it. Next.

W

Thanks ENTIRELY to the ASSISTED help of others.

W

I didn't realize that players got assists on free throws.

So you think Marvin caught the pass and then got immediately fouled without bothering to move? If you believe that then i have another question for you. Do you believe in the Yeti?

LOL, the guy NEVER got an UNassisted FG in clutch time. Now THAT'S pathetic. No defending it. Next.

Do you even watch the games? During crunch time every play is an ISO for JJ. He dribbles around and then shoots or passes at the end of the clock.

During the 4th quarter as a whole Marvins assisted baskets were at 70% (only 3% higher than his overall average) compared to 66% for Childress.

Edited by exodus

So you think Marvin caught the pass and then got immediately fouled without bothering to move? If you believe that then i have another question for you. Do you believe in the Yeti?

lol

Does your version of the "TRUTH" see that Marvin was FAR more productive in the clutch than your boy Chillz?

Boy, the TRUTH hurts doesn't it! :dancing18:

Great post Trace.

Also love Walt's predictable rebuttal:

Trace: The sky is clearly blue today.

Here is streaming video of the sky. Note that it is blue.

Walt: The sky owes being blue 100% to Rayleigh scattering. Point over. Next.

Me: Um ... so the sky isn't blue because we understand the process that makes it blue. Huh?

The sky is still blue Walter. I don't care if nitrogen and oxygen help make it so.

wineryblueskyoj4.jpg

Guest Walter

I think EXACTLY what I said. Never, not once, not in a whole season did MW score an UNassisted basket in the "clutch". No doubt MW gets fouls with his clumsy a**, but not once did he convert even an UNassisted traditional 3-pt play FG even. THAT is the most pathetic statistic I have EVER read. AVERAGE FT% in clutch time? Not good but at least JC could create and convert FGs without requiring a hand-out.

Do you even watch the games? During crunch time every play is an ISO for JJ. He dribbles around and then shoots or passes at the end of the clock.

And still every other player manages at least a respectable "clutch" UNassisted FG% rather than 0% for MW. Unbelievably inept.

W

You're the scouted right?

You're the guy who has scouted pros far and wide right?

Your scouting report said that Brenden Wright was going to win the ROY?

Dude, forget about being a Dumbas$..... Where the hell did your credibility go??

Why am I wasting Kilobytes on you?

You're southeron Right?

:help wanted3:

You already know I don't care but unlike you I make points and leave. You on the other hand alienated everyone on the site trying to push your silly points that Marvin sucks and get rid of him. Say what you want about me but ppl know what I'm about which is no games. I speak my mind and that's it. Your a hater and or usually a dumba$s. See I'm just keeping it 100% with you kid.

Guest Walter

JC's clutch FG% = 77%

MW's clutch FG% = 37%

OUCH! JC DOUBLES MW "clutch" FG%.

While JC is no great 1 on 1 player and frankly while I have never compared the two (preferring to highlight how unbelievable that our #2 pick can't create for himself when it counts), even JC can tell you it helps to be able to create your shot even somewhat.

2 rebounds less per 48 minutes and 10% FT% are not good but a FOURTY PERCENT shooting drop off in the clutch and in MW's case the utter and absolute inability to ever create for himself suggest the sky isn't blue for and is falling on MW.

P.S. MW also averaged 1.8 to 1.0 clutch TO per48 compared to Childress and a LOWER clutch A/TO ratio to Childress. In otherwords, while MW is not creating for himself he also turns the ball over more.

W

Edited by Walter

I think EXACTLY what I said. Never, not once, not in a whole season did MW score an UNassisted basket in the "clutch". No doubt MW gets fouls with his clumsy a**, but not once did he convert even an UNassisted traditional 3-pt play FG even. THAT is the most pathetic statistic I have EVER read. AVERAGE FT% in clutch time? Not good but at least JC could create and convert FGs without requiring a hand-out.

And still every other player manages at least a respectable "clutch" UNassisted FG% rather than 0% for MW. Unbelievably inept.

W

So how do other players "assist" Marvin at getting to the foul line?

*crickets*

During the overall game 61% of Smith's baskets are assisted. In clutch time that percentage goes to 72%.

JJ's percentage of assisted field goals is 45% overall, but only 33% during crunch time.

It doesn't take a genius to see what is going on.

That's what happens when your stroke is so absurdly broken.

I've been skimming this thread and it seems like most people are taking shots at D just because he hates Marvin, giving no credence to a very telling stat. If Marvin was like Glen Rice, I wouldn't give a damn. But sadly, he isn't. The fact that he has zero range and zero buckets driving by himself is something to take note of. Marvin is like so far down on the list of problems, though.

I like your message Troy but as you know it's undescribing stat. It's a stats that real but doesn't explain much. It's not the end all be all like FT% understand. You can twist the hell of that stat. I watch the games and in the clutch Marvin was never a focal point. It was JJ, then Smith and Bibby after the trade. Marvin only took shots he felt comfortable or he felt he had some options. Let's not forget Marvin is the least riskest player on the team. He doesn't get points from tip-ins much and can be old machine like when not in involed in the offense. A lot can go into that stat, not just the assumption that he can't create his own shot which is true by the way. To be honest, only JJ can create his own shot. He's not even elite at it but still he can do it.

JC's clutch FG% = 77%

MW's clutch FG% = 37%

OUCH! JC DOUBLES MW "clutch" FG%.

While JC is no great 1 on 1 player and frankly while I have never compared the two (preferring to highlight how unbelievable that our #2 pick can't create for himself when it counts), even JC can tell you it helps to be able to create your shot even somewhat.

2 rebounds less per 48 minutes and 10% FT% are not good but a FOURTY PERCENT shooting drop off in the clutch and in MW's case the utter and absolute inability to ever create for himself suggest the sky isn't blue for and is falling on MW.

P.S. MW also averaged 1.8 to 1.0 clutch TO per48 compared to Childress and a LOWER clutch A/TO ratio to Childress. In otherwords, while MW is not creating for himself he also turns the ball over more.

W

Over half of Childress' clutch points came during the 1st 10 second of the shot clock (fast breaks and putbacks) and all of his points came within 5 feet of the basket.

http://www.82games.com/0708/07ATL8E.HTM

Childress isn't creating anything. he is just a good cherry picker.

So how do other players "assist" Marvin at getting to the foul line?

By making a good pass. Considering he never scored an unassisted FG in the clutch, he likely never got an unassisted FT attempt in the clutch.

Nonsense. You are dodging the question.

How can a good pass lead to a foul, especially enough fouls to get to the line 15 times per 48 minutes of clutch time?

Oh, and I can see JJ shooting 33% in the clutch seeing as he is asked to take many such shots.

Huh?

The 45% and 33% numbers i was referring to were the percentage of JJ's assisted fgs, as i stated very clearly. Those numbers show he is doing much more 1 on 1 play in clutch time.