• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sasha Volkov Brings Up An Interesting Stat...

Diesel

This thread is crazy. You take a tiny sample size and then try to use it to bash some players and praise others.

Here are facts. Smoove averages 17 a game taking 14 shots per game.

Marvin averages 15 a game taking 11.5 shots a game. Smoove shots a great percentage inside 15 feet and is practically awful outside of 15 feet. Marvin is much more consistant but doesn't taqke the threes and doesn't drive the ball as much as Smoove.. It is obvious to me if you reversed the shot attempts Marvin would outscore Smoove by 3 or 4 points a game.

Smoove is aggressive to the point of being boneheaded at times. He is a better rebounder simply by virtue of the fact he plays near the basket on the defensive end.. Smoove is a supreme shotblocker but is a turnover machine. Marvin takes much better care of the ball than Smoove. Here is where I blame Woody. Why can't he read these same stats and eliminate Smooves long distance shooting and give Marvin 2 more medium range shots per game? The Hawks would be a better offensive team if Woody would simply lay down the law. "Smoove..Take a 3 and you are benched" " Smoove..If you look at a wide open Marvin and shot a wild jumper yo are benched." It should be that simple.

You should watch the games and not the stats. Marvin's offensive game isn't as diverse as Smoove. You can't see that in a stat sheet.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should watch the games and not the stats. Marvin's offensive game isn't as diverse as Smoove. You can't see that in a stat sheet.

Diverse? What is diverse about taking shots you can't hit? Marvin simply plays within his strengths and Smoove doesn't.

Edited by tmac13

This thread is crazy. You take a tiny sample size and then try to use it to bash some players and praise others.

Here are facts. Smoove averages 17 a game taking 14 shots per game.

Marvin averages 15 a game taking 11.5 shots a game. Smoove shots a great percentage inside 15 feet and is practically awful outside of 15 feet. Marvin is much more consistant but doesn't taqke the threes and doesn't drive the ball as much as Smoove.. It is obvious to me if you reversed the shot attempts Marvin would outscore Smoove by 3 or 4 points a game.

Smoove is aggressive to the point of being boneheaded at times. He is a better rebounder simply by virtue of the fact he plays near the basket on the defensive end.. Smoove is a supreme shotblocker but is a turnover machine. Marvin takes much better care of the ball than Smoove. Here is where I blame Woody. Why can't he read these same stats and eliminate Smooves long distance shooting and give Marvin 2 more medium range shots per game? The Hawks would be a better offensive team if Woody would simply lay down the law. "Smoove..Take a 3 and you are benched" " Smoove..If you look at a wide open Marvin and shot a wild jumper yo are benched." It should be that simple.

Well said! I hate to think that it's as simple as Woody laying down the law since he apparently hasn't done it but I sure wish he would.

But Marv is a pure shooter and he doesn't get the ball enough to show it

lol since when is Marvin a pure shooter? form doesn't make u a pure shooter. They guy could barely make a mid range jumper consistently before this season. Pure shooters are guys that are instant offense whenever they're in the game. Ray Allen is a pure shooter as is Reggie Miller and so on.

But Marv is a pure shooter and he doesn't get the ball enough to show it

Marvin has been on this squad three seasons and hasn't shown to be a reliable offensive threat. You say he is a pure shooter but he doesn't shoot three pointers. He is a limited risk player when game planing against the Hawks. He doesn't have the ability to put up 30 points on any given night like Smoove(one game does not suggest this).

As crimedog stated Reggie Miller and Ray Allen are pure shooters and a threat at all times on the floor. The same cannot be said for Marvin. If you think he is on the level of those two players with his shot then you are being a blind loyalist.

Diverse? What is diverse about taking shots you can't hit? Marvin simply plays within his strengths and Smoove doesn't.

Diverse is having the ability to post up and take a player off the dribble. Diverse is the ability to be stronger than threes and quicker than fours.

How can you honestly say Smoove is not a diverse player? Do you dislike his game that much? You probably believe Woody and Smoove are holding Marvin back as well don't you.

Just as Marvin didn't have a problem with coming off the bench at UNC he doesn't have a problem with being a third or fourth option on this squad. You can't gauge desire and hunger in stats. Marvin gets his average on his ability alone. He isn't the type of player to carry his team on his back. His passion for the game isn't as high as Smoove and neither is his skills.

You call it playing within himself I call it not wanting to be the man or be in the spotlight. Who scored all the Hawks points in game 4 in the fourth quarter. JJ and Smoove. Marvin isn't a big time player so he was a ghost.

If you want to give me game 6 to prove Marvin is a big threat offensively then give me game three to prove Smoove is a three point shooter. Neither performance tells the real truth about both players.

You can't gauge desire and hunger in stats.

You call it playing within himself I call it not wanting to be the man or be in the spotlight. Who scored all the Hawks points in game 4 in the fourth quarter. JJ and Smoove. Marvin isn't a big time player so he was a ghost.

If you want to give me game 6 to prove Marvin is a big threat offensively then give me game three to prove Smoove is a three point shooter. Neither performance tells the real truth about both players.

1). Then how can you gauge desire and hunger? Is there a special tool? Does the player have to have the Eye of the Tiger?

2). Then why are you bringing up game 4 if neither game 3 nor game 6 tells the real truth? Pot, meet kettle.

1). Then how can you gauge desire and hunger? Is there a special tool? Does the player have to have the Eye of the Tiger?

2). Then why are you bringing up game 4 if neither game 3 nor game 6 tells the real truth? Pot, meet kettle.

1. A top prospect has no problem with being on the bench even though he is much more talented. A top NBA draft pick is alright with being the third,fourth sometimes fifth option on a team with no proven number two scorer. This top pick also plays off others penatration and is often left wide open for mid range jumpers. If a player is a true threat why would he be open so often?

2. I bring up game four because Smoove and JJ were consistently the two top scorers on this squad. Marvin was consistently on the bench replaced by chillz in crunch time. Game six was an aboration just as that game in Seattle was. Few and far in between.

Marvin has been on this squad three seasons and hasn't shown to be a reliable offensive threat. You say he is a pure shooter but he doesn't shoot three pointers. He is a limited risk player when game planing against the Hawks. He doesn't have the ability to put up 30 points on any given night like Smoove(one game does not suggest this).

As crimedog stated Reggie Miller and Ray Allen are pure shooters and a threat at all times on the floor. The same cannot be said for Marvin. If you think he is on the level of those two players with his shot then you are being a blind loyalist.

nah Cwell said that lol

Diverse is having the ability to post up and take a player off the dribble. Diverse is the ability to be stronger than threes and quicker than fours.

How can you honestly say Smoove is not a diverse player? Do you dislike his game that much? You probably believe Woody and Smoove are holding Marvin back as well don't you.

Just as Marvin didn't have a problem with coming off the bench at UNC he doesn't have a problem with being a third or fourth option on this squad. You can't gauge desire and hunger in stats. Marvin gets his average on his ability alone. He isn't the type of player to carry his team on his back. His passion for the game isn't as high as Smoove and neither is his skills.

But the 4th quarter of game 4 does? Maybe we should use game 7 where Smoove quit about halfway through the 1st quarter.. Smoove takes 2.5 more shots a game and scores 2 more point a game than Marvin. You think that makes Smoove a goto guy and Marvin a scrub?

1. A top prospect has no problem with being on the bench even though he is much more talented. A top NBA draft pick is alright with being the third,fourth sometimes fifth option on a team with no proven number two scorer. This top pick also plays off others penatration and is often left wide open for mid range jumpers. If a player is a true threat why would he be open so often?

2. I bring up game four because Smoove and JJ were consistently the two top scorers on this squad. Marvin was consistently on the bench replaced by chillz in crunch time. Game six was an aboration just as that game in Seattle was. Few and far in between.

1. That may be the dumbest, most presumptuous, thing I have ever read on this board.

2. Well Mr. Hypocrite if you need to use game 4 to fit your argument while ruling out game 6 or the Seattle game even though they fit the same requirements then by all means feel free.

Marvin's offensive game isn't as diverse as Smoove.

So who would win in one-on-one, first to eleven, score by ones? Hell, there can even be two's behind the nba three-point line and not this FIBA joke of a line.

Who've you got?

Marvin v. Smoove.

Not who's the better player, but who would win, mano e mano.

So who would win in one-on-one, first to eleven, score by ones? Hell, there can even be two's behind the nba three-point line and not this FIBA joke of a line.

Who've you got?

Marvin v. Smoove.

Not who's the better player, but who would win, mano e mano.

Bob my man...you can't be serious??? Marvin can't even carry Josh's jock strap, much less beat him 1-1....JS 11-0!!!

Marvin can a lot confident but his offensive game is just as diverse.

Yea I think Smoove can take Marvin one on one easily.

That's great but in the NBA we play 5-on-5. That's all that matters and all that ever will when comparing the two. Hell I think Jamal Crawford can beat JJ 1-on-1 but I would always choose JJ over Crawford in a 5-on-5 game.

Bob my man...you can't be serious??? Marvin can't even carry Josh's jock strap, much less beat him 1-1....JS 11-0!!!

I'm very serious. Love that you don't even have Marv scoring. Thanks for using that brain of yours to actually think about the proposal. Smoove's man defense ain't the greatest.