• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Evans Vs Childress

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

Anyone whoi thinks Evans is close to Josh Childress needs to put the crack pipe down. Evans is a journeyman player who hasn't stayed with any team and bounces around.

Now Childress was one of the top sixth men in the league last year and we can argue that the contract he got the Hawks did not need to pay that much BUT the bottom line is Evans cannot hold JC's sack!

My hunch feeling is that the Hawks totally screwed themselves early in negotiations and didn't have a clue what they were doing or JC would be on the roster at this moment.

Anyone whoi thinks Evans is close to Josh Childress needs to put the crack pipe down. Evans is a journeyman player who hasn't stayed with any team and bounces around.

Now Childress was one of the top sixth men in the league last year and we can argue that the contract he got the Hawks did not need to pay that much BUT the bottom line is Evans cannot hold JC's sack!

My hunch feeling is that the Hawks totally screwed themselves early in negotiations and didn't have a clue what they were doing or JC would be on the roster at this moment.

There is a reason that Evans was happy with 3 yrs/$7.5M and Chillz was looking for almost 3 times that amount. Chillz is a significantly better player. Evans does bring some things that we need ( tough on ball defender/solid 3 pt threat) that Chillz didn't but he will NOT be able to do a lot of the things that Chillz did. Bottom line, he would have been a great COMPLIMENT to Chillz off the bench but he does not replace him.

There is a reason that Evans was happy with 3 yrs/$7.5M and Chillz was looking for almost 3 times that amount. Chillz is a significantly better player. Evans does bring some things that we need ( tough on ball defender/solid 3 pt threat) that Chillz didn't but he will NOT be able to do a lot of the things that Chillz did. Bottom line, he would have been a great COMPLIMENT to Chillz off the bench but he does not replace him.

I was going to say nearly that exact thing but now I can't...well spoken.

To me you are making the wrong argument. Who cares who's the better player? The question is in relative terms can Evans approximate Chillz production in his given role. I say yes he can. I also feel using Chillz on words that he wasn't happy being a sixth man. Evans will happily take that role and relish in it. Add in the savings on salary and the skills he brings that chillz didn't possess, and I think Evans is a good alternative to Chillz. That's all that matters.

Childress is a better offensive player than Evans but Evans is, across the board, a better perimeter defender. We need a few good perimeter defenders on this team too.

On offense, Childress played down low and was very good at it but he didn't have the ability to play the perimeter. We have more players who are good in the paint than we do the perimeter. Evans is better on the perimeter and will open up some space for Josh and Al, both of whom took more jumpers than Chil last season.

Evans isn't better than Chil but there was a significant portion of posters who have said that an Evans type player would be a better fit since before Chil ever left.

To me you are making the wrong argument. Who cares who's the better player? The question is in relative terms can Evans approximate Chillz production in his given role. I say yes he can. I also feel using Chillz on words that he wasn't happy being a sixth man. Evans will happily take that role and relish in it. Add in the savings on salary and the skills he brings that chillz didn't possess, and I think Evans is a good alternative to Chillz. That's all that matters.

For Evans to "approximate Chillz' production," he will have to have a CAREER year. That doesn't even take into account the probability that as a still young player, Chillz would have been better this coming season than he was last season while Evans likely "is what he is" at this point in his career.

As for Chillz not being happy in his 6th man role, as long as he was productive, I couldn't care less. MOST good 6th men would PREFER to start. Ginobili has told Popovich that he wanted to start on numerous occasions.

As for the salary savings, it depends on what we do with them. So far, we have done NOTHING with them other than sign Evans. We would have HAD to sign some guys to at least the minimum (as we did with Morris) to get to the minimum level of 13 roster spots. If we had signed a Kwame/Evans combo in lieu of Chillz, I would have felt a LOT better about it but Evans ALONE is a SIGNIFICANT downgrade.

• Premium Member
For Evans to "approximate Chillz' production," he will have to have a CAREER year. That doesn't even take into account the probability that as a still young player, Chillz would have been better this coming season than he was last season while Evans likely "is what he is" at this point in his career.

As for Chillz not being happy in his 6th man role, as long as he was productive, I couldn't care less. MOST good 6th men would PREFER to start. Ginobili has told Popovich that he wanted to start on numerous occasions.

As for the salary savings, it depends on what we do with them. So far, we have done NOTHING with them other than sign Evans. We would have HAD to sign some guys to at least the minimum (as we did with Morris) to get to the minimum level of 13 roster spots. If we had signed a Kwame/Evans combo in lieu of Chillz, I would have felt a LOT better about it but Evans ALONE is a SIGNIFICANT downgrade.

I agree with you on this. Bottom line I think we need to bring another big in to be competitive

I like the change in roster from a chemistry aspect. To me Chillz and Marvin are pure SFs due to lack of lateral quickness to guard a SG. JJ has never really had a legitimate SG as his back up or a player who can defend the SG position better then average to play with in Atlanta. For the record I like a 6'7'' 230 pound guy like JJ at SF over SG any way. With the modern rules I would prefer a smaller quicker guard at SG.

1. Smith now can roam the baselinse as Chillz once did and Evans can spread the floor as a shooter like Smith once did. We should all like that alot. Now we can run those same offensive sets but players with the proper skill set will now be in the proper spot.

2. Evans is a better defender at the SG position then Chillz. This will allow JJ to get some rest b/c Evans is ALWAYSE assigned to the team's best perimeter defender when he is in the game. JJ can slide down to SF more where a 6'7'' and 230 pound guy belongs any way. No more seeing 30 pound heavier JJ chase skinny Rip Hamilton around screens all day or get wore out having to guard Kobe the majority of the game....... Its one thing to ask JJ to be top #3 in the league in minutes for 3 years running buts its just cruel to put the offensive and defensive burden of being the go to scorer and defend the best perimeter scorer every night. That equals a worn out body come playoff time or another injury.

To me Chillz alwayse struggled when asked to play either guard postion and flourished when he was able to play away from the perimeter and play "junk ball" by roaming the baselines closer in to the basket. Evans can shoot like a man does and not a 12 year old. At least he can knock down out side shots with a defender closing in on him or even in his face where Chillz could not even get a shot off. Chillz could only get his shot off from the perimeter if he was wide open which explains his good shooting percentage.

Bottom line is if Evans gets 30 mpg I think his #'s look as good as Chillz and the intangibles may be equal if Evans is the perimeter defender at the SG position we hope that he is. Chillz intangible was offensive rebounding. Hopefully with Smoove in closer to the basket he can make up for that loss while at the same time preventing Smoove from having the oppurtunity to jack up so many 3's.

Childress is a better offensive player than Evans but Evans is, across the board, a better perimeter defender. We need a few good perimeter defenders on this team too.

On offense, Childress played down low and was very good at it but he didn't have the ability to play the perimeter. We have more players who are good in the paint than we do the perimeter. Evans is better on the perimeter and will open up some space for Josh and Al, both of whom took more jumpers than Chil last season.

Evans isn't better than Chil but there was a significant portion of posters who have said that an Evans type player would be a better fit since before Chil ever left.

Well said. I am one of those who value perimeter defense at the SG position and also never saw Chillz as SG due to his well documented lack of lateral quickness............ Having an upgrade at perimeter defense on SGs will allow JJ to have some gas in the tank to close out games in the 4th quarter.

Plus on the offensive side we needed another shooter to run the sets Woody likes and Evans is a pretty good perimeter shooter who can get a shot off with a hand in his face unlike Chillz could.

Now we can put 3 shooters on the floor at one time who are not undersized at their position and who all shoot better then 35% from 3 point land:

Bibby 6'2''

Evans 6'5''

JJ 6'7''

Edited by coachx

I like the change in roster from a chemistry aspect. To me Chillz and Marvin are pure SFs due to lack of lateral quickness to guard a SG. JJ has never really had a legitimate SG as his back up or a player who can defend the SG position better then average to play with in Atlanta. For the record I like a 6'7'' 230 pound guy like JJ at SF over SG any way. With the modern rules I would prefer a smaller quicker guard at SG.

1. Smith now can roam the baselinse as Chillz once did and Evans can spread the floor as a shooter like Smith once did. We should all like that alot. Now we can run those same offensive sets but players with the proper skill set will now be in the proper spot.

2. Evans is a better defender at the SG position then Chillz. This will allow JJ to get some rest b/c Evans is ALWAYSE assigned to the team's best perimeter defender when he is in the game. JJ can slide down to SF more where a 6'7'' and 230 pound guy belongs any way. No more seeing 30 pound heavier JJ chase skinny Rip Hamilton around screens all day or get wore out having to guard Kobe the majority of the game....... Its one thing to ask JJ to be top #3 in the league in minutes for 3 years running buts its just cruel to put the offensive and defensive burden of being the go to scorer and defend the best perimeter scorer every night. That equals a worn out body come playoff time or another injury.

To me Chillz alwayse struggled when asked to play either guard postion and flourished when he was able to play away from the perimeter and play "junk ball" by roaming the baselines closer in to the basket. Evans can shoot like a man does and not a 12 year old. At least he can knock down out side shots with a defender closing in on him or even in his face where Chillz could not even get a shot off. Chillz could only get his shot off from the perimeter if he was wide open which explains his good shooting percentage.

Bottom line is if Evans gets 30 mpg I think his #'s look as good as Chillz and the intangibles may be equal if Evans is the perimeter defender at the SG position we hope that he is. Chillz intangible was offensive rebounding. Hopefully with Smoove in closer to the basket he can make up for that loss while at the same time preventing Smoove from having the oppurtunity to jack up so many 3's.

Great summary of the benefits of having Evans over Chillz. I always considered Chillz an "incomplete" player because of the release on his jumper. He always needed to be wide open or got lots of hustle points on put backs, tip ins or layups. This was why he had a great shooting percentage. True, he was smart and used his skill set to the best of his ability (hear that Smoove?) but I think Evans has more tools at his disposal (size, athleticism, defense) that will make him a very valuable bench player.

I think you greatly exaggerate the distance between the two. Let's not look at career numbers. Let's just look at what happened last season in some key areas

Chillz played 76 games to Evans 75.

Chillz played 30 mins to Evans 23

Chillz made 327of 573 shots to Evans 262 of 545

Chillz made 22 of 60 3PTs to Evans 81 of 209

Chillz had 2.3 Off Reb. a game to Evans 1.2

Chillz had 2.6 Def Reb. a game to Evans 1.7

Chillz had 4.9 rebs a game to Evans 2.9

steals .93 to .61

blks .57 to .13

TO's 1.29 to .53

Asst 1.5 to 1.1

and the all important PPG

11.8 to 8.9

Yeah, Chillz was marginally better than Evans, but as I stated Evans is in very close proximity of most of his numbers for last year with less minutes and less face it a more talented team.

Agree Childress is the better player but I think Evans is the best fit:

- Provides so much needed 3pt shooting, outside of JJ and Bibby who else can shot the 3. Will open the defense and create space to score inside.

- Play perimeter defense, we don't have perimeter stoppers.

- Will not steal as much minutes from Marvin as JC did, simply as one stole the minutes from the other none of them could achieve his full potential.

- Marvin and Childress were similar players wing players with no outside game. You need different options to win games. We cannot afford to have 50% of our wing players not capable of shooting behind the arc, that is ridicolous.

- 2,5 M$ for a bench guy is the right thing, you just cannot pay 8M$ to a bench guy that is impacting the development of one of your up and coming young players.

I think the right way for this team should be more FA signings like Evans, cheap proven bench players that strength your team while keeping your salary low and present an attractive core for FA to sign with this team.

Try to think this way, for 2010 summer when all the star FA will come out you could have had a team with a young core of Law, JJ, Marvin and Horford and bench players like Duhon, Evans, Hermann, Fazekas and Kwame Brown all of them signed for 2M$ maximum that gives you a cap space of around 25M$, would not be a place you will consider if you are for example Chris Bosh?

Well said. I am one of those who value perimeter defense at the SG position and also never saw Chillz as SG due to his well documented lack of lateral quickness............ Having an upgrade at perimeter defense on SGs will allow JJ to have some gas in the tank to close out games in the 4th quarter.

Plus on the offensive side we needed another shooter to run the sets Woody likes and Evans is a pretty good perimeter shooter who can get a shot off with a hand in his face unlike Chillz could.

Now we can put 3 shooters on the floor at one time who are not undersized at their position and who all shoot better then 35% from 3 point land:

Bibby 6'2''

Evans 6'5''

JJ 6'7''

the bad thing is with Childress seriously lacking lateral quickness. Woody ALWAYS put him on quick players like TJ Ford like he could stop them. It's like Woody thinks putting your worst defenders on quick players will slow them down. Like Bibby or Childress on Rondo.

The problem with not getting anything back for Childress is that the Hawks still have no bench. What has the team done to address its real needs? Yes, Evens does handle the outside shooting, but the team still needs to replace that off the bench scrapper who can play the baseline. There is no one on the current roster who comes close to filling that role. Not to mention b-u PF and another servicable PG.

I completely agree that Childress should not have gotten more than 5-5.5 per year, but come on, a SnT that produced something of need in return, is better than nothing. In either case no cap space was created.

The crux of the problem is that the Hawks have not significantly improved their roster as of today. At best they are at the same place they were at the end of the season. This team, as is today, will not make it into the playoffs, there are too many holes and too many other teams have fortified themselves with deft moves, e.g. Toranto, Indiana, and Washington. The only teams behind us that really haven't made significant moves are Miami and the Bobcats. However, the Bobcats have a hall of fame coach now and that will count for a lot. Miami I don't think is looking for a playoff birth this season as another high pick will be better for them. Thus, it will be very hard for the Hawks to make it into the playoffs this year as the roster currently stands (assuming Smith returns).

I completely agree that Childress should not have gotten more than 5-5.5 per year, but come on, a SnT that produced something of need in return, is better than nothing. In either case no cap space was created.

That assumes that other teams were willing to pay him $7+ million and give us "something of need in return". I don't see such a scenario other than Phx dumping Diaw on us.

I disagree completely. I think Evans is the better overall player. and if CHillz is infact better then it aint by that much. Evens is a energy guy just like CHillz was but he can actually shoot the 3 ball better then Chillz..they both are athletic and run the floor but what makes Evans better is his ability to shoot from long range. Chillz may also be the better rebounder but thats it. I think you guys are just mad that the fact that he's gone and we lost him for nothing. I am too but we got someone who can fill that spot and may even turn out to be better. I think Evans can give Marvin a run for that starting spot too but we'll have to wait and see

That assumes that other teams were willing to pay him $7+ million and give us "something of need in return". I don't see such a scenario other than Phx dumping Diaw on us.

We couldn't have taken on Diaw's contract with 7 mill anyways. Adding Claxton to the mix may have worked, but yes, you are correct Diaw wasn't the right move.

What happened is that the Hawks assumed that they could force Childress and Smith into cheaper than market contracts because the Hawks felt they had all the cards. If management had been willing from the start to look into SnTs then something could have been worked out. Would the Hawks gotten a player as "good" as Childress, probably not. But would the Hawks have gotten something of value in return, yes. Right now the Hawks have a cap hold- wtf is that worth?

• Premium Member
I disagree completely. I think Evans is the better overall player. and if CHillz is infact better then it aint by that much. Evens is a energy guy just like CHillz was but he can actually shoot the 3 ball better then Chillz..they both are athletic and run the floor but what makes Evans better is his ability to shoot from long range. Chillz may also be the better rebounder but thats it. I think you guys are just mad that the fact that he's gone and we lost him for nothing. I am too but we got someone who can fill that spot and may even turn out to be better. I think Evans can give Marvin a run for that starting spot too but we'll have to wait and see

My point was there are those who are saying Evans is better because they are mad that Chillz left. Making excuses for the Hawks is a joke IMO. If they had taken care of business they would have had Childress and probably Evans too.