Hawks Sign Othello Hunter

Scott

• Premium Member

NBA

Ex-Buckeye Hunter now a Hawk

Saturday, August 9, 2008 3:07 AM

By Bob Baptist

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

The agent for Othello Hunter says two NBA teams offered to draft the former Ohio State forward in the second round in June provided that Hunter played in Europe this season.

"It's nice to hear your name called on draft night. It's immediate gratification," said the agent, David Lee. "But you wake up six weeks later and you're in Europe. Sometimes it's good to keep your options open."

Because he did, Hunter woke up this morning a member of the Atlanta Hawks. He signed a contract yesterday assuring him of going to training camp with the NBA team Sept. 30.

Hunter is guaranteed half of the NBA's minimum salary for rookies, or $221,057, even if he is waived, Lee said. Hunter is guaranteed the full minimum of $442,114 if he is on the Hawks' roster Dec. 15.

"I know I can play in the NBA," Hunter said from his home in Winston-Salem, N.C. "(The two teams) probably didn't think I could. I can understand that. But I have so much faith in myself that once I put my mind to it, I can do it."

When Hunter decided to go the free-agent route, Lee said he tried to place him with a team such as Atlanta that had no second-round draft picks.

Hunter impressed Hawks officials while playing for their summer-league team in July. The faster tempo of the NBA game enabled him to take advantage of his ability to run and jump more than he could for the Buckeyes last season.

"I'm not going to put down Ohio State because we tried to (play) up and down (the court), but at times we had to run set plays," Hunter said. "In the NBA, everything is much faster … (and) I feel better. I'm better at going up and down than in set plays."

The signing is the latest development in Hunter's improbable saga. He did not play high school ball until he was a senior and played in junior college for two years before transferring to Ohio State. He averaged 9.9 points and 6.5 rebounds last season and did not receive so much as honorable mention on the all-Big Ten team.

When Lee called him Thursday to tell him the Hawks would be sending him the contract by overnight mail, "I started screaming in the car," Hunter said. "My best friend from junior college looked at me like I was crazy.

"I'm kind of blown away about it, like … 'My dream finally came true.' "

NBA

By Bob Baptist

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

The agent for Othello Hunter says two NBA teams offered to draft the former Ohio State forward in the second round in June provided that Hunter played in Europe this season.

"It's nice to hear your name called on draft night. It's immediate gratification," said the agent, David Lee. "But you wake up six weeks later and you're in Europe. Sometimes it's good to keep your options open."

Because he did, Hunter woke up this morning a member of the Atlanta Hawks. He signed a contract yesterday assuring him of going to training camp with the NBA team Sept. 30.

Hunter is guaranteed half of the NBA's minimum salary for rookies, or $221,057, even if he is waived, Lee said. Hunter is guaranteed the full minimum of $442,114 if he is on the Hawks' roster Dec. 15.

"I know I can play in the NBA," Hunter said from his home in Winston-Salem, N.C. "(The two teams) probably didn't think I could. I can understand that. But I have so much faith in myself that once I put my mind to it, I can do it."

When Hunter decided to go the free-agent route, Lee said he tried to place him with a team such as Atlanta that had no second-round draft picks.

Hunter impressed Hawks officials while playing for their summer-league team in July. The faster tempo of the NBA game enabled him to take advantage of his ability to run and jump more than he could for the Buckeyes last season.

"I'm not going to put down Ohio State because we tried to (play) up and down (the court), but at times we had to run set plays," Hunter said. "In the NBA, everything is much faster … (and) I feel better. I'm better at going up and down than in set plays."

The signing is the latest development in Hunter's improbable saga. He did not play high school ball until he was a senior and played in junior college for two years before transferring to Ohio State. He averaged 9.9 points and 6.5 rebounds last season and did not receive so much as honorable mention on the all-Big Ten team.

When Lee called him Thursday to tell him the Hawks would be sending him the contract by overnight mail, "I started screaming in the car," Hunter said. "My best friend from junior college looked at me like I was crazy.

Good signing, he earned the right to a contract. Now let's sign Mario & Luke.

Well Sekou said this kid had a good shot at this team. I was under the impression he was a long range shooter? I will have to watch those summer games now to see whats up. Can anyone who saw him play tell me about his game?

Love to hear the excitement of a guy making it in the NBA. It kind of reminds me of Mario West last season. Now all he has to do is come in and work hard in camp and compete every play.

I predicted he would be the Hawks Carl Landry from a season ago and i'm sticking to my guns.

Good luck and congratulations Mr Hunter!

Draft Express:

Hunter has so many raw tools that he’ll be one of the most interesting undrafted players to monitor

i like the fact that they did this right after Smith. Gaining some momentum. He needs a lot of work. Don't know how much he'll contribute . . . . if Woody uses him. But the article said he's a good transition guy.

Well Sekou said this kid had a good shot at this team. I was under the impression he was a long range shooter? I will have to watch those summer games now to see whats up. Can anyone who saw him play tell me about his game?

He played strictly around the basket from what I saw. Shot a great percentage, but that's SL.

NBA

By Bob Baptist

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Wow! Well that makes 12 now. They will probably sign Richardson and hopefully Luke Jackson. That leaves one more slot. Who will it be?

Cwell gave you some points but I will add he gets off his feet very fast. He is a very good leaper and could be a nice weak side defender for the Hawks. He has a nice tough on his shot as well. His biggest weakness may be he is an undersized PF

He may be a steal for the Hawks.

Great story. Got to be happy for the young man !

• Premium Member
Cwell gave you some points but I will add he gets off his feet very fast. He is a very good leaper and could be a nice weak side defender for the Hawks. He has a nice tough on his shot as well. His biggest weakness may be he is an undersized PF

He may be a steal for the Hawks.

Plus his standing reach is 9'1.5"

Smoove needs to call Randolph Morris, and Othello Hunter, and tell them to go to Houston so they can train together. I think Hakeem is training Smoove still.

he needs to call Solo and Al too. We need as much improvement from our bigs as we can get. Just keep Zaza away. Two seconds with Hakeem he'll think he's Hakeem for real once he hits the court lol

Let's keep in mind that Smith is an undersized PF, too. The thing that allows him to make up for his lack of size is his athleticism and 7 foot wingspan. I think Othello will be just fine coming off the bench, and the fact that he has touch on his jumpshot (from what I've heard) is a big plus. I think our frontcourt is significantly better from last year, and we've got a lot of young players who can make big strides. We also have a veteran player in ZaZa, and he's still somewhat young. I like the fact that Sund is more active in FA than BK. I just hope we make a move to get a backup SF.

He made the all tourney team in Orlando that Sund was running:

has done everything he can to help his stock in this draft process, consistently playing well in all the games at both Portsmouth and Orlando. In addition to showing the things he’d already shown at the college level, he’s also displayed an improved mid-range jumper and looked a little better with his back to the basket. He hasn’t hurt himself in the measurements either, (6’8 ½ in shoes at Portsmouth with a 7’2 ¾ wingspan) while also looking to be amongst the best here in Orlando in the vertical leap department by our naked eye.

Hunter showed a consistent motor and ability to impact the games with his length and athleticism. The first thing that stands out is his mid-range jumper, which actually improved for him as the season went on at Ohio State. Looking at video from the first few games of the year and the last few games of the year, some noticeable changes occurred with his shooting form. The most obvious change is more deliberate mechanics in general and more consistency holding his follow through. He also altered his mechanics themselves slightly, bringing the ball up over his forehead before the release. He doesn’t get much elevation off the ground, but his length compensates for that as release point is high. These changes have increased his effectiveness significantly on spot-up jumpers from the mid-range, which he’s shown at both camps and towards the end of the college season. He’s done a good job knocking down 15 footers when getting open off pick-and-pops or drive-and-dishes, while even showing flashes of college three-point range in the NIT Tournament Finals. His skill-level isn’t anything to write home about at this point, but it may give NBA teams some room for optimism regarding the future.

Hunter also has looked better in the post, showing slightly crisper execution and footwork along with better accuracy on his hook shot and turnaround jumper. He also seems more comfortable in the post in general, not really rushing much, and making better use of countermoves. A lack of strength and balance, along with still undeveloped footwork, definitely gives him problems at times, especially when establishing position, but he’s making improvements.

On the defensive end, Hunter benefited here by not being matched up with many powerful post players that could take advantage of his slight frame, something that has hurt him in the past. He also only blocked two shots on the week, but contested quite a few more. Hunter did really well on the boards, though, and actually was the 10th ranked offensive rebounder per 40 minutes pace adjusted in our database on the season.

Hunter’s performance here, along with his physical tools and the learning curve he’s shown over the past two years, has made a decent case for him as a late second round pick in the draft, despite his less than ideal size for a power forward. The fact that he’s only played competitive basketball for six years definitely helps his case, as does the way he came out here and distinguished himself from other players with similar stocks heading in, while also showing strides in some of his weaker areas. He still has to add a significant amount of weight to his frame to compete effectively in the NBA. While not a lock at all, Hunter should get some consideration late in the draft.

I feel great for the young guy, but this is just another example of the Hawks wanting to fill there bench with young cheaps. Mo Evans, Randolph Morris, and this guy. 3 guys that haven't down anything in the league. Where are the vets that the Hawks were supposed to get?

I feel great for the young guy, but this is just another example of the Hawks wanting to fill there bench with young cheaps. Mo Evans, Randolph Morris, and this guy. 3 guys that haven't down anything in the league. Where are the vets that the Hawks were supposed to get?

Maurice Evans is an established vet. Basketball or any sport is not about the stat sheet. Evans has been a very good player for each team he's played for and when he got a chance to start he didn't dissapoint in Orlando. and the whole thing about losing players is somebody else has to step up and prove themselves,it's not always as bad as it seems.

Edited by Cwell